Herdman new head coach

matty

55 minutes ago, Keegan said:

But even without the USA think of other teams we could play that would draw.. they’re countless and maybe you don’t break even but at least you’re bringing in some revenue to offset it.

Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Holland, Ukraine, China.

7 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Buzz you should go, the CSA would love you. 

Buzz im  curious what questions would you ask ? 

If we’re being serious... 

Well the Herdman/Oz thing is done and there’s no real answer that would make me feel good about how it went down so I probably wouldn’t bring that up.

I would definitely press them about why we don’t play more friendlies, specifically at home or in hostile environments.

I would ask them about how aware they are of all the young guys we track and if they’re in contact with them.

I would ask about the development plan for the next 10 years and it’s implications for our youth sides.

I would ask about whether they think we’ll actually land 2026 and if not what is the plan to get us there.

I would ask if they’re continuing to push the MLS on Canadian player rules.

I would ask if they could hold some sort of state of the program conference where at least our media is allowed to ask questions.

I would ask what else they think we could be doing to help grow the profile of our teams and how they could support us in doing that.

Other than that I would probably want to chat about logistics for upcoming events & games.

Sorry to start a shit storm yesterday.  Bad day at work and tired of the negativity here and went off and decided I needed a break from here.  For the record I stand by the sentiment of what I said but it definitely could of been put better.  If I get a chance I'll reply to a couple of points made at me but I've got a half day at work and a lot to do.

16 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Holland, Ukraine, China.

Canada vs China..... In Vancouver or Toronto = sell-out, just a reality.

Also, like the "hosting in Victoria". That would definitely sell out also vs almost any team, and 70% of the time the field sits empty.

21 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

China sells out? Are we serious? Most Chinese people i've ever met in Canada are from Hong Kong and either don't give a shit about soccer or the PRC.

At the WWC in Winnipeg they had a sizeable chunk of the seats behind one goal as a dedicated cheering section and also substantial support scattered throughout the rest of the stadium. Definitely amounted to thousands of fans, for Women's football, in Winnipeg.

I'm pretty sure that match makes money, particularly on the West coast.

Edited by dsqpr

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

China sells out? Are we serious? Most Chinese people i've ever met in Canada are from Hong Kong and either don't give a shit about soccer or the PRC.

Probably not a sell out but I can see at least 20k+ which should make a friendly feasible if not profitable.

like really, if we operate a friendly at a 

$20k loss (complete guess which is probably more than would be lost but anyway) how is that not a good deal?  If your only negative is that fact and you can build interest and get coverage then what is going on...

either we are seriously incompetent or seriously corrupt. As I said before prove me wrong.

Did the CSA not get a bunch of cash in March 2016 v Mexico?? What were their expenses?? No player salaries + a sell out. We seriously must have the worst business people on earth on our board.

going as an example.. it was quoted that the Montreal impact was spending 200k per away champions league game in 2015.. this included a week there, chartered plane, private travelling team including chef etc.

the CSA does not do that. The CSA doesn’t have player salaries or coaches on salaries at the level of the impact or charter planes. So what is our cost to play in Toronto by comparison? We own the pitch, we probably have deals with accommodations, 1/3 our team plays locally .. $90k~? And then you have a match with 10k (let’s pretend we’re playing NZ) at 27 a ticket average.. $270k revenue minus expenses for game day let’s say after concessions it’s around $30k.

Am I seriously off with numbers or what? We know that the Voyageurs handle ads and ticket sales so there’s that..

can someone just tell me I’m wrong and provide facts? I’m being very modest with the numbers, in fact I think we could actually make a ton more.

Why would anyone put in extra time though right? Collect the cheque and do the bare minimum.. you’re not out to grow the game just make your own money and relax. 

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

You must be only talking to people who immigrated to Canada a long time ago. Since the late 90s the majority of Chinese immigration has been coming from mainland China. Even most of the Hong Kong immigrants since its return to China now feel a connection to PRC. A China game in Canada might not be that interesting for those who have been in Canada for a long time but would get a lot of interest from more recent immigrants plus the numerous Chinese students at universities which is enough people to get a pretty big turnout in any major Canadian city.

Edited by Grizzly

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Probably not a sell out but I can see at least 20k+ which should make a friendly feasible if not profitable.

like really, if we operate a friendly at a 

$20k loss (complete guess which is probably more than would be lost but anyway) how is that not a good deal?  If your only negative is that fact and you can build interest and get coverage then what is going on...

either we are seriously incompetent or seriously corrupt. As I said before prove me wrong.

Did the CSA not get a bunch of cash in March 2016 v Mexico?? What were their expenses?? No player salaries + a sell out. We seriously must have the worst business people on earth on our board.

going as an example.. it was quoted that the Montreal impact was spending 200k per away champions league game in 2015.. this included a week there, chartered plane, private travelling team including chef etc.

the CSA does not do that. The CSA doesn’t have player salaries or coaches on salaries at the level of the impact or charter planes. So what is our cost to play in Toronto by comparison? We own the pitch, we probably have deals with accommodations, 1/3 our team plays locally .. $90k~? And then you have a match with 10k (let’s pretend we’re playing NZ) at 27 a ticket average.. $270k revenue minus expenses for game day let’s say after concessions it’s around $30k.

Am I seriously off with numbers or what? We know that the Voyageurs handle ads and ticket sales so there’s that..

can someone just tell me I’m wrong and provide facts? I’m being very modest with the numbers, in fact I think we could actually make a ton more.

Why would anyone put in extra time though right? Collect the cheque and do the bare minimum.. you’re not out to grow the game just make your own money and relax. 

We have to pay costs for the away team too. Which makes sense as we collect all the ticket revenue.

Apparently there is also often an "appearance fee" required by the opposition, which makes less sense to me: just arrange to reciprocate by going there with no appearance fee in the not too distant future.

Anyway, I'd probably ballpark the cost at $200-250k CAD (assumes small or no appearance fee). At an AVERAGE ticket price of $25, that puts the break-even attendance at around 10,000. Surely that is doable.

I guess the problem is the risk of incurring a loss. I saw us play Hondurass in Montreal a few years back and I'd be astonished if the actual attendance exceeded 2,000 (the announced attendance was much higher and pure fiction). We must have lost a bundle on that game.

And the lesson is that you have to have talented people picking opponents and venues: if you hand that task to idiots then you are likely to end up whining that you can't play home friendlies because they lose money. ;)

Edited by dsqpr

Well, maybe i'm wrong with the Chinese. I also think China prefers to want to play more home games? They just held the China Cup this window with Uruguay and Czech Rep.

As far as opponents for Toronto i would still have a bunch of teams ahead of China though. Greece, Serbia and Croatia would all be cheapish options in terms of appearance fee that should sell-out BMO.

I live in Hong Kong. Most HK citizens don’t feel an affinity to China.  It’s a big problem. That’s why you had the occupy central movement that occupied the downtown for two months in 2014.  Moreover, they have a big problem with the soccer fans booing the national anthem at international matches.  They are even passing a law to make that a crime. Basically, there are two camps. The one (generally younger) that has no afffinity with China; the other which are the pragmatists and grudgingly accept China for their own personal economic reasons. There aren’t many that are true patriots. 

14 hours ago, dsqpr said:

At the WWC in Winnipeg they had a sizeable chunk of the seats behind one goal as a dedicated cheering section and also substantial support scattered throughout the rest of the stadium. Definitely amounted to thousands of fans, for Women's football, in Winnipeg.

I'm pretty sure that match makes money, particularly on the West coast.

I sat in their section at China versus Cameroon in Edmonton at WWC. It was awesome.

They basically had the entire endzone.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Harder and harder not to like what Herdman is bringing to this team.

Very true. It’s refreshing to hear a MNT coach talk about embracing the advanced statistical approach. Especially when he’s talking about using those stats to train players to react instinctively in tough, high pressure situations.

Interesting to note that Atiba seems to have gone from removed from the team and considering retirement to an integral part of the teams leadership who’s connecting with players and management even when away from the team.

A guy like Atiba could be a real asset.  I hope Herdman is getting him to start thinking being an assistant coach.

As for skyping and video conferencing...I guess Floro and Zambrano are old as dirt, so maybe Herdman is the first to do this, but HOLY MOLEY!!  That tech has been around for a long time.  You would think someone would have introduced this before.  I've been video conferencing with multiple gals on the interweb for years.......ooops I have said too much!!!  

Not that Atiba owes us anything more at this point, but it would be a real shame if we didn't manage to keep him involved in some capacity post playing career.  We simply haven't had many guys that have played at his level, that have been such long-term and loyal members of the team, and who have been deemed captain material by multiple coaches.  

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

A guy like Atiba could be a real asset.  I hope Herdman is getting him to start thinking being an assistant coach.

As for skyping and video conferencing...I guess Floro and Zambrano are old as dirt, so maybe Herdman is the first to do this, but HOLY MOLEY!!  That tech has been around for a long time.  You would think someone would have introduced this before.  I've been video conferencing with multiple gals on the interweb for years.......ooops I have said too much!!!  

OZ seemed to be in contact with guys via telephone regularly. I believe it was mentioned that Floro didn’t have much contact if any with a lot of guys outside of camps.

The way Siz (Sizz? Should there be two Zs in the abbreviation for Sizzle?) talked about the video conferencing with Atiba I got the impression that it was multiple people at once, Siz(z), Biello, Arfield, Milan and Atiba.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:24 PM, BearcatSA said:

Does anyone know if he's going to be on TSN panel throughout the World Cup or is the CSA sending him and Biello to Russia to observe first hand?

I mean...what exactly would they be going to look at in Russia?