Herdman new head coach

matty

1 minute ago, Tg11 said:

I guess that makes sense but who would you rather have as a manager leading us into the future? Zambrano? Or Herdman? I would go with Herdman any day

Both of them have their strengths, IMO.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

Both of them have their strengths, IMO.

That they do but long term I would probably go with Herdman

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Your, others', and my definition of "poor results" are probably a lot different from Herdman's.  I can see your second argument but, short of a big time off field issue, I just can't see a bureaucratic ouster of this guy.

But Herdman is nothing more than a bureaucratic "inster", an ouster, well: turnabout is fair play.

Well Herdman's coaching resume speaks for itself and look at what he did for the women. If he can translate that to our men to our guys then I can truly see us being a threat in CONCACAF. What is most important is team building/team development. We have to start that from now and develop not only our home grown players here in Canada but develop them enough that they can enter another developmental system in Europe, may be even be good enough to play in Europe. Doing that also helps them long term because by playing against the world's elite daily it helps instill confidence but at the same time in doing all of that and then Herdman coaching said players we would actually be taken more seriously in CONCACAF by our opponents in the region.

23 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Well Herdman's coaching resume speaks for itself and look at what he did for the women.

Sunderland youth

NZ Women

Canada Women

No offence, but that resume doesn't exactly scream "highly qualified coach worth 350K/yr." Not when our regional rivals have highly respected Colombian coaches being paid roughly the same compensation.

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Sunderland youth

NZ Women

Canada Women

No offence, but that resume doesn't exactly scream "highly qualified coach worth 350K/yr." Not when our regional rivals have highly respected Colombian coaches being paid roughly the same compensation.

I guess that is true but then Canada aren't going after world class managers because if they did then just imagine how much better we would be if we had a German in charge or if we had an Italian, Dutch or Frenchman as our manager? They can incorporate a new offense but instill a new culture within the team

3 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Sunderland youth

NZ Women

Canada Women

You’re right to say that his resume doesn’t say highly qualified but you forgot the two bronze medals. 

Also, I personnaly think that the resume of Zambrano isn’t really stellar either and at least Herdman has age on his side to build à better one. 

3 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

You’re right to say that his resume doesn’t say highly qualified but you forgot the two bronze medals. 

Also, I personnaly think that the resume of Zambrano isn’t really stellar either and at least Herdman has age on his side to build à better one. 

Yes, two bronze medals and ZERO pro experience. 

Not making a comparison with Zambrano, just replying to his "resume speaks for itself" line.

15 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

Finally someone who agrees

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Respectfully disagree.  We will have more on the line in 2026 than in any other WC.  The worst thing we could do is put in an abysmal performance on home soil.

Yes we will have more on the line in 2026 on home soil but at the same time pressure is not really on us because if we are given automatic qualification we don't have to play in qualifiers so it takes the pressure off if you think about it. However, preparation wise we can play friendlies a lot of them and also play more competitive fixtures but if the Confederations Cup is still around by 2025 that also helps us prepare physically and mentally.

5 hours ago, RS said:

It would only be inconsistent if Zambrano was fired for his results. He wasn't.

We still haven’t been given an official reason that I have seen, but I seem to recall that it was reported the CSA only gave him a mediocre report card after the Gold Cup. The timing of the firing with the instantaneous hiring of Herdman suggests it was mostly about hiring Herdman in light of the offers he was allegedly receiving elsewhere to leave the CSA (offers which Herdman spoke of again in his interview with Sportsnet this week). As such it is reasonable to expect that the new coach that we made room for by firing our then-current coach should get us further in our regional tourney than the fired coach did.

2 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Results to be determined but I much prefer Herdman as one of the media faces of the 2026 World Cup over Zambrano. Much more presentable to a wider Canadian audience.

Racist! You may as well have said that with a hispanic accent.

/Deadpool2

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Sadly people do still think like this in 2018 and talented people get marginalized because of it. Look no further than the otherwise inexplicable use of Nigel Reed by Canadian broadcasters, for example.

I'm already tired of this studio panel of Brits TSN is using.  . 

With the international feed pbp, I least I get my wish of only one person in the booth calling the match.  You can certainly argue about the abilities of those calling the play, but at least you don't get overwhelmed with a verbal barrage where the crew believes that they are getting paid by the word.

I mean we still have 8 years left to go until 2026 but as long as he can help qualify the team to 2022 then that is all that really matters

8 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Results to be determined but I much prefer Herdman as one of the media faces of the 2026 World Cup over Zambrano. Much more presentable to a wider Canadian audience.

I thought Zambrano spoke very well and gave very good interviews. Yes Herdman is very media savvy but he also comes across as a bit of snake oil salesman/personal motivator type. Maybe that will work for the players and public but I thought Zambrano seemed a lot more genuine. Herdman talks a good game but what really matters is results and we will see when we start playing good teams in important competitions and he has to make difficult selection decisions and devise proper tactics in pressure games, then we will see whether he is a good coach or not. I still find the whole premature firing of Zambrano/weird hiring of Herdman very unprofessional and wrong. I will give Herdman a chance but he really needs to get results. I have a bad feeling he is going to be given way too much leeway even if the results are not satisfactory and the CSA will be reluctant to fire him since he is their guy yet Zambrano is let go pre-maturely with no valid reason (and possibly losing Herdman was in no way a valid reason). Firing coaches before their results deserve it and keeping coaches on when their results don't merit it is no way to run a federation and I suspect that is the current situation we are in.

12 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Just my view, if Herdman can’t do better  then what Oz did In the Gold Cup, he should be fired or moved to a different  position .  To me the gold cup is make it or break it for Herdman 

Yes that is true very true. I mean if he can't get Canada over the hump then should he be fired? Yes but the question is if you fire him then who can you bring in to help revitalize the CMNT?

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I thought Zambrano spoke very well and gave very good interviews. Yes Herdman is very media savvy but he also comes across as a bit of snake oil salesman/personal motivator type. Maybe that will work for the players and public but I thought Zambrano seemed a lot more genuine. Herdman talks a good game but what really matters is results and we will see when we start playing good teams in important competitions and he has to make difficult selection decisions and devise proper tactics in pressure games, then we will see whether he is a good coach or not. I still find the whole premature firing of Zambrano/weird hiring of Herdman very unprofessional and wrong. I will give Herdman a chance but he really needs to get results. I have a bad feeling he is going to be given way too much leeway even if the results are not satisfactory and the CSA will be reluctant to fire him since he is their guy yet Zambrano is let go pre-maturely with no valid reason (and possibly losing Herdman was in no way a valid reason). Firing coaches before their results deserve it and keeping coaches on when their results don't merit it is no way to run a federation and I suspect that is the current situation we are in.

It all comes down to results and Gold Cup 2019 is what it will all come down to.