Herdman new head coach

matty

On 3/2/2018 at 12:18 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

But I'm nobody and he's the national coach at few hundred grand a year...if you don't get that you can't even start to be witty about it.

A few hundred grand?  No, its more than that.  When I heard the rumoured number I felt like vomit.

That was really the bottom line.  When Herdman heard what Floro was making, he had a shit fit, demanded the same, and the rest is history.

6 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Changing the topic...

What do you guys think is a fair result for Herdman in qualifying. Obviously the team needs to do more than just qualify. With our schedule I hope for clean sheets in all games as well as some good offence. Hopefully at least 2-3 goals against both A and B.

Gotta be 4+ goals against D, 4+ against C, hopefully a 2+ goal win v B and a 2+ goal win v C

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Changing the topic...

What do you guys think is a fair result for Herdman in qualifying. Obviously the team needs to do more than just qualify. With our schedule I hope for clean sheets in all games as well as some good offence. Hopefully at least 2-3 goals against both A and B.

With that very favourable draw:

Top 6, League A = success

Not top 6, League B = failure

League C (!) = firing squad ;)

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

A few hundred grand?  No, its more than that.  When I heard the rumoured number I felt like vomit.

That was really the bottom line.  When Herdman heard what Floro was making, he had a shit fit, demanded the same, and the rest is history.

huh...considering the coaches we have had I don't see much more than 250K warranted...

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

The more I think about it the more it seems like Herdman is the CSA’s version of Trudeau.  Unqualified relative to the position, progressive, handsome and the politically correct choice because who needs common sense when you can just be nice.

I probably have more respect for Herdman's abilities than you -- and less for Trudeau's! :)

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Changing the topic...

Let's wreak this competition, lmfao... I think we got the tools to get some blowouts @BenFisk'sBiggestFan... And we should do a HELL lot better against Guyane française, particularly s this time will be a home game and not at a neutral venue like in the GC... Wonder if that will be played out in Québec, lmfao

• 2 weeks later...

So not sure if it is the CSA or JH, but there appears to be a lot more information coming out of camp on CSA twitter, not tactics/formation etc. but interviews/videos/photos etc...stuff that is still interesting and keeps us fans somewhat in the loop re camp. There has also been a lot of media coverage recently about the NZ game and roster. Then there was the "early' release of the roster on the first day of the scheduled week, which has got to be a first. Although there have been changes to the roster, which I believe may have been tweaked as a response to the NZ roster, most of us were  pleased with the original list of players selected. This all points to better organization and an attempt to improve communication, both of which are JH attributes.  Hope it continues into game performance, but so far so good. I still think he needs to upgrade his coaching assistants, not named Biello, and would like to see an assistant with experience in Mexico or south/central America. Hopefully this may happen after the WC. 

John Herdman starting to change culture of Canadian men’s team
Gavin Day Sportsnet.ca March 24 2018,

SAN PEDRO DEL PINATAR, Spain – In his seven years directing the Canadian women’s soccer program, John Herdman developed a reputation for being a meticulous planner, trying to be on top of everything that can be controlled.

An example of that came in the lead-up to the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup as Canada prepared to host the tournament. One of the things Herdman had his staff do was to time how long it would take him and his players at halftime to get into the dressing rooms at the World Cup venues. Not a second was to go to waste.

That same attention to detail is being applied by Herdman in his early days in charge of the Canadian men’s team. While the on-field product will naturally take some time to develop, the refrain from players in the first camp held by Herdman is that objectives have been clearly communicated by the new coach.

“He has a lot of ideas and he’s really clear. I think he’s really committed,” midfielder Samuel Piette told Sportsnet. “He knows the culture, as well, having been with the women’s side. It’s good to have a guy that was part of the program and transmitting his ideas through the men’s program.”

Piette is emblematic of the normal Canadian player experience over the last few years, as many members of this team have dealt with a revolving door of coaches. Piette made his debut in 2012 under Stephen Hart when he was only 17. Now 23, he is playing for his seventh different Canadian men’s team coach. At least in these early days under Herdman, the players know success will only come when the team starts to expect success.

“I think he wants us to change a bit the mentality. Before we used to accept mediocrity,” Piette said. “Failing was a normal thing for us. That’s what we want to change. He has a clear objective and clear ideas. It’s a winning mentality and being on the front foot imposing our game.”

In Saturday’s 1-0 friendly win against New Zealand, Canada gutted through a shaky opening stretch where it easily could have found itself trailing. But with flashes from some of the younger players and some patient build-up, Canada stayed organized and earned a win in Herdman’s first match in charge.

“We stuck to [Herdman’s game plan] the whole game,” said goal scorer Tosaint Ricketts. “As you could hear, our communication was loud on the field. Everyone knew everyone else’s job, and it helped us down there in those nervy moments. You saw we built from that in the first 15 minutes on.”

Herdman kept the mood light in training during the week leading up to Saturday’s contest. For this training camp, he brought over some of the same staff members he used when he coached Canada’s women’s team.

Herdman explained this camp was about the players hearing his vision for the program, getting to know him and laying down a tactical foundation. The real test as to whether the buy-in is complete from the players will be when the going gets tough while playing in challenging CONCACAF environments that have long been the bane of the Canadian program.

“I don’t think you ever really know that until the time comes when big moments happen,” Herdman stated. “I think the big moments are coming in the CONCACAF Nations League later this year but I would say they’ve been really receptive. They’re taking on board some of the elements of the identity we’ve been shifting.”

Canada’s early opponents in the new Nations League won’t exactly strike fear in most teams’ hearts, but given the unpredictable nature of road games in CONCACAF, there is always the possibility of a slip-up should there be a breakdown between players and coach.

“It’s going to be interesting,” Piette offered. “I think our next meeting is in September. So, it’s going to be a long period of not being together so it’s just to get his ideas and make sure we apply them when we get together.”

Quickly getting his team up to speed is where Herdman’s meticulous nature will be a benefit.

Unlike the women’s game, necessity dictates the men’s side must make the most of short international windows, and get the players in and organized right away. The switch to the much shorter camps is maybe the biggest transition Herdman has had to make, but the players seem to enjoy how the camp was run.

“Organizationally, it’s been fantastic,” veteran defender David Edgar said. “We know what we’re doing and when we’re doing it. It’s a clear vision and that’s key. We’re all on the same page and everyone has to be on the same page. I think, so far, the boys are buying into it and that’s massive for us.”

As the players now return to their clubs, the work accomplished this week in southeastern Spain can’t get lost in a vacuum. To prevent that, the development must continue even if the Canadian team isn’t together.

“Through the MLS season, the most important part for us is to stay connected with the group,” Herdman said. “We’ve set up online platforms that we’ve been working with the players through so that there isn’t a hiatus forgetting about our culture so the players know what’s coming. It’s not goodbye for Canada until September.”

With victory in the bag against New Zealand in the admittedly first modest hurdle of Herdman’s tenure, Canada has now established a base and it seems some trust has been built.

Herdman shared instructions many times during the game with goalkeeper Milan Borjan, and with a first victory and clean sheet, it appears the players do share their new coach’s vision.

“Speaking to [them] afterwards, they’re happy with what we set up,” Herdman said. “Speaking with Samuel Piette, he says there’s just so much more to come.”

“And I think there is.”

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I sure dont like a lay off from mar to sept without a camp.  We cant line anything up before the WC with someone??  

Yeah, even  just a camp between now and Sept would be useful. They still have to "intergrate" the players that were not at this camp no?. Using a competitive match to do so when goal difference may be a factor is not  a good strategy...besides never underestimate your opposition even if it is the US Virgin Islands.

Wouldn't surprise me if we do have a N.American camp before Sept and another closed doors friendly. It might depend on who and how many of the senior pool is used for the Toulan tournament. Is it U23 or U21?

Pretty excited about that tournament and could feature quite a few in this current squad. That will be the bulk of the players Herdman is moving into the next world cup cycle. The more season vets will either be coming of a long season in Europe or would benefit from a break in June to be fresher for the fall and their continued domestic campaigns.

Let Herdman get involved with the younger teams in this time and get the house in order. I expect if he thinks another senior get together is necessary we will have one. Could be he is happy having made contact with those that didn't make this squad or is planning on touching base with them from now to Sept.