Herdman new head coach

matty

3 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Yes, very hard?  Every country in the world wants to play games between now and the World Cup.... we are playing 0.

As sad as this sounds, maybe no one really wants to play us? :/ (face palm)..... of course no world cup team wants to play us but why not play a team on a back 2 back. IE: the teams second game after playing a world cup team? or I dunno FFS Nicaragua, DMR, Jamaica & Cuba are playing more games then us before September. 

Sorry Gavin, very very bad reporting and lack of criticism, if your actual quote says "HARD". 

Run a camp North of Toronto, play a nobody. Give the other federation 20K to try and make some back in ticket sales.  If it "costs too much", invite NA players only or run a "scrimmage" type game. It's honestly mind boggling, not putting anything together. Hope it changes.

And if we weren't going to have any more camps until September, I wouldn't have given anyone the weekend off to stay with their club teams.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

From the sportsnet article.

"One of the first things Herdman did when he was hired was to reach out to the majority of the players on the men’s team. He either spoke to each them in person or on the phone in order to get their feedback, and their views on what has worked – and hasn’t worked – in past Canadian team training camps.

“It’s the first time that a [Canadian] coach has called me personally to talk about the team… That’s amazing. Players appreciated that. He wanted to get to know me, not only as a player but as a person,” Osorio said."

If this is true, and it wasn't an email, this changes everything.

Not sure if it changes "everything" but I do think this is more encouraging. I just hope we get the same quotes from Lucas Cavallini

"

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

In my book, he deserves a chance.

"Give X a chance."

Gawd, the amount of times I have heard that over 51 years of being an active Nat follower. CSA brickwall, I can't leave you because I can't escape the delusion that my headbanging can make a difference.

Edited by beachesl
spallink

I do believe that Canada/CSA/Herdman should be setting up more games with these NL popping up now a days, it will mean less games against top tier opponents. Maybe they're trying to set some more games now and I do hope they are calling or sending out letters for games. Canada has got to get more camps in for young players and veterans that are going to play major part of the 2022 WCQ. Any how Herdman got his first game in and well seems he will build on OZ style. Can't wait for his next game in charge with most of the CMNT starters at the camp. Just get more games in... 

4 hours ago, beachesl said:

"

"Give X a chance."

Gawd, the amount of times I have heard that over 51 years of being an active Nat follower. CSA brickwall, I can't leave you because I can't escape the delusion that my headbanging can make a difference.

Please don't exaggerate, things have only been getting steadily worse since 1986, so that is only 32 years! :)

I don’t understand why we can’t  roll out our best  squad and play the US or Mexico. Or in  preparation for maybe Copa American why don’t we host a few games vs an AFC team ( China, South Korea , Japan ,  Australia ) and a  CONMEBOL team ( Bolivia,  Venezuela ,  Ecuador ,Paraguay). All three teams can play each other in Canada, maybe it will make some money. 

I’m really happy with the win and OMG Millar looked amazing out there but a 1-0 win against a New Zealand C team worries me alittle. I would love to see Herdman get really tested. New Zealand C team and the soccer power houses St.Kitts, United States Virgin Islands and Dominica are not good tests. 

Agree with everyone we need more games and more camps; pretty sure every NT coach we've had has also said the same (and I'm sure Herdman is no different). My guess as to why we don't have more friendlies is that it's a combination of money (i.e. not having/not wanting to spend enough to bring teams over here to play), Canada not being a quality/attractive opponent, and probably CSA incompetence/lack-of-pressure and accountability from media/sponsors (as others have alluded to). At least with the Nations League starting it will effectively take it out of our hands and basically force us to play games. 

13 minutes ago, Kurt-MTL said:

Agree with everyone we need more games and more camps; pretty sure every NT coach we've had has also said the same (and I'm sure Herdman is no different). My guess as to why we don't have more friendlies is that it's a combination of money (i.e. not having/not wanting to spend enough to bring teams over here to play), Canada not being a quality/attractive opponent, and probably CSA incompetence/lack-of-pressure and accountability from media/sponsors (as others have alluded to). At least with the Nations League starting it will effectively take it out of our hands and basically force us to play games. 

So basically the CSA has become like  The Caribbean nations that everyone in the soccer world complains about . Maybe we should play in  Caribbean  Championship  too. 

What a Joke!

Edited by SpecialK

36 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t understand why we can’t  roll out our best  squad and play the US or Mexico. Or in  preparation for maybe Copa American why don’t we host a few games vs an AFC team ( China, South Korea , Japan ,  Australia ) and a  CONMEBOL team ( Bolivia,  Venezuela ,  Ecuador ,Paraguay). All three teams can play each other in Canada, maybe it will make some money. 

Because Canada would be one of the last countries any of these teams would be interested in playing. It would take some brilliant sales pitch to pull that off. Whoever scored the Colombia match a few years ago should be the lead pitch man with the CSA.

12 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Because Canada would be one of the last countries any of these teams would be interested in playing. It would take some brilliant sales pitch to pull that off. Whoever scored the Colombia match a few years ago should be the lead pitch man with the CSA.

I understand the why someone’s would think that, but Canada just played South Korea a few years ago. Also the AFC team and CONMEBOL team could play each other like a mini  tournament in Canada.

Other than the pure  domination by the hands of Argentina,  historically we have play well vs CONMEBOL teams. 

Edited by SpecialK

17 minutes ago, Rheo said:

So there is no actual evidence that we aren't playing games in the World Cup window due to financial concerns yet let's bash them for it anyways because it's the right thing to do.

If that's in reference to my post, I'd like to point out I said this was my guess. I'd love to know exactly how much of the CSA's annual budget actually goes to playing friendlies but as far as I know, that information isn't readily available. 

Edited by Kurt-MTL

19 minutes ago, Kurt-MTL said:

If that's in reference to my post, I'd like point out I said this was my guess. I'd love to know exactly how much of the CSA's annual budget actually goes to playing friendlies but as far as I know, that information isn't readily available. 

It wasn't specific to you but there are too many attacks without evidence for my liking here on the board.  There is nothing wrong with speculation and in your post you brought up a valid question/point.  That could very well be the reason.  I just wish the hellfire and brimstone for the targets could be saved for when it's deserved, not just when people think/assume it's deserved.

Edited by Rheo
Reworded for clarity

25 minutes ago, Kurt-MTL said:

If that's in reference to my post, I'd like to point out I said this was my guess. I'd love to know exactly how much of the CSA's annual budget actually goes to playing friendlies but as far as I know, that information isn't readily available. 

It's a couple years behind but the budgets are normally posted on this board.

There’s a lot of assumptions etc because the CSA is not transparent and media doesn’t ask tough questions to keep everyone honest. If Hockey Canada acted like the CSA, TSN and Sportsnet/CBC would be all over their ass and it would be talked and debated for weeks on TV and radio. Just like the Herdman hiring. There was no press conference, steve reed refused to interviews. That’s bullshit! Shit like that should not be allowed in Canada. All is needed is steve reed to be taking brides and he would be the next jack! Haha 

Why is Canada not playing friendlies ? I want Reed to come out say in detail why? Is it because of money ? Is it because no teams want to play us? If teams don’t want to play in Canada why is that ? The turf ? Our team is not very good? What’s being done to get more games ? 

Edited by SpecialK

10 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

There’s a lot of assumptions etc because the CSA is not transparent and media doesn’t ask tough questions to keep everyone honest. If Hockey Canada acted like the CSA, TSN and Sportsnet/CBC would be all over their ass and it would be talked and debated for weeks on TV and radio. Just like the Herdman hiring. There was no press conference, steve reed refused to interviews. That’s bullshit! Shit like that should not be allowed in Canada. All is needed is steve reed to be taking brides and he would be the next jack! Haha 

Why is Canada not playing friendlies ? I want Reed to come out say in detail why? Is it because of money ? Is it because no teams want to play us? If teams don’t want to play in Canada why is that ? The turf ? Our team is not very good? What’s being done to get more games ? 

Your description of Steve Reed and the CSA is exactly on the spot.  Reed and his cohorts think their post in the CSA is something that puts them above all else and that they are the Gods of soccer in Canada.  They do what they feel like as if they were the epitome of knowledge.  The facts are that they are a bunch of untouchable incompetent bureaucrats.

So is there anyway we, the Voyageurs, can reach out formally to the CSA and say: "Hey, we are your loyal fan base, we supoort you thick and thin etc etc can you give us an update on: upcoming schedules, the background on OZ's departure, Where Cavallini is, are you trying to get Tomoroi etc"

Most pro teams (irrespective of sport) get their gms, coachs in front of the fan base or season ticket holders once a year to have an open q and A session. Can we not do the same (even if it is over twitter or something like that). Anyone? who on this board has some influence?

23 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

The question is: where are our soccer media?

Why can we have stories on Alphonso Davies once a week but no questions about the running of the CMNT? 

Why arrange friendlies when you can pass over them with no one saying anything and appropriate those funds where you see fit... a trip for Steve and the board down to the Virgin Islands to open up LoN?? They deserve it..