Herdman new head coach

matty

16 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

She could have but they passed her over I am sure for a reason. I mean if she didn't make the Panel this World Cup there is plenty of opportunity for her to be there in the next 4 years in Qatar for 2022 or even here in 2026 when we co-host with USA and Mexico.

Wasn’t aware that we’re cohosting.. do you think FIFA will allow extra spots for Canadian commentators when we co host with the USA and Mexico? Obviously not for Qatar because then again who knows if we’ll qualify though we certainly have the talent but do we know if that qualifies us?  We don’t yet.  I’ll wait.. 

9 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Wasn’t aware that we’re cohosting.. do you think FIFA will allow extra spots for Canadian commentators when we co host with the USA and Mexico? Obviously not for Qatar because then again who knows if we’ll qualify though we certainly have the talent but do we know if that qualifies us?  We don’t yet.  I’ll wait.. 

If it is in Canada-USA-Mexico you can bet your bottom dollar that there most likely will be Canadian commentators. For Qatar I don't know it is possible we could see a Canadian commentator or two. I don't know that, you don't know that, no one really knows that. Canada will obviously have to compete in CONCACAF to qualify. With teams like Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama having a stranglehold in CONCACAF we probably won't see Canada until 2026 anyway not that there is anything wrong with that.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

As long as it's not KJ. He is on negative credit after the England game for me. Mr. "Kane is the missing piece for England as they haven't had a world class forward in previous tournaments"

Glad he was duly, if not still too nicely ripped apart in the studio for that one. 

On negative credit after one mistake like that? Come on

21 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

If it is in Canada-USA-Mexico you can bet your bottom dollar that there most likely will be Canadian commentators. For Qatar I don't know it is possible we could see a Canadian commentator or two. I don't know that, you don't know that, no one really knows that. Canada will obviously have to compete in CONCACAF to qualify. With teams like Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama having a stranglehold in CONCACAF we probably won't see Canada until 2026 anyway not that there is anything wrong with that.

Fuck dude you're giving me a headache

48 minutes ago, toontownman said:

As long as it's not KJ. He is on negative credit after the England game for me. Mr. "Kane is the missing piece for England as they haven't had a world class forward in previous tournaments"

Glad he was duly, if not still too nicely ripped apart in the studio for that one. 

How about if he calls Mo Salah world class? Is it okay then? 

If you can’t call him world class that would mean there are probably only 3 strikers in the world who you could.. 

I like taking jabs at the English as much as the next guy but let’s be realistic, Harry Kane is a world class goal scorer in football today. 

26 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

On negative credit after one mistake like that? Come on

Wouldn't say I was anything but indifferent before he is hit and miss for me, like most here and probably ragging a bit much on him. However that's not just a stat mistake but one of the single most stupid statements I've ever heard a pundit say and state as fact. He should know better. 

Like the standard of the MLS itself, TSN/Sportsnet tv pundits have definitely improved themselves over the past 10 years but are also still prone to looking like complete amateurs. Might have been less of a knee jerk from me if he wasn't from and grew up in England the same time around players that have done far more for England than Kane at this stage. To add to that he has been a journalist 20 years. I will choose to believe he severely brain farted anticipating my knee-jerk to the head. 

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How about if he calls Mo Salah world class? Is it okay then? 

If you can’t call him world class that would mean there are probably only 3 strikers in the world who you could.. 

I like taking jabs at the English as much as the next guy but let’s be realistic, Harry Kane is a world class goal scorer in football today. 

Not saying he isn't that wasn't the problem with his statement to close the on field coverage. He was saying England haven't had world class strikers in previous tournaments. Assuming he is only talking about the past 20 years Rooney, Owen, Shearer, Sherringham and to a lessar extent Defoe would argue. Kane hasn't even delivered consistently for England yet. He certainly has the tools to become the greatest, no doubt. 

On the panel for today it looks like we have a Canadian on the Panel...Terry Dunfield well he is on the Panel today. His analysis for the Brazil/Costa Rica match actually was not that bad.

On 6/21/2018 at 5:40 AM, Grizzly said:

As much as I agree with the idea that TSN should have done a better job of having some non-British analysts, when you start to watch some of the other English language broadcasts TSN is not too bad in comparison. I mentioned the Fox broadcast before with its terrible play by play but I have watched a few BBC games and am not very impressed by them either. I am not sure what play by play feed TSN is using (maybe the standard international feed) but while the commentators are also British they are a lot more knowledgeable than the British commentators BBC is using. The BBC half time show is terrible even if at first appearances it seems more diverse than the TSN one. BBC has taken a page from their parent broadcaster's political wing by having some foreigners on who have lived most of their life in Britain and give the exact same opinions that their white British hosts do. While they are changing who is on the panel for various games so the quality varies, they seemed to have chosen the players commentating by how well known they are not by how good their analysis is (at least Hiddink for Fox had some interesting commentary despite being paired with the clueless Cobi Jones). And the focus of the BBC commentary is all wrong and very provincial. The halftime analysis of Russia-Egypt could be summarized as:

The problem I have with the international feed commentators is that, without a colour man, they run out of things to say fairly quickly and fill in the airtime with verbal diarrhea. I have a strong urge most of the time to strangle Peter Drury as he loves to go on and on and on about "how the mighty have fallen" or some such drivel. I've taken to watching the BBC just to get away from them (I like Ian Darke though, I thought he had a colour man somehow but could be wrong). 

As far as hosts/analysts are concerned, I find KJ informative and Wileman and Caldwell are fine (the latest inovation of KJ and Caldwell standing in front of a TV hasn't worked for me though). On the other hand, I really enjoyed hearing the opinions of those who have played at the highest level such as Pablo Zabeleta, Lineker, Fabregas and Shearer after the Croatia-Argentina game at the BBC. I like Forrest and DeVos the most for Canadian content but I assume they're both unavailable this time around. 

Isn't it amazing and great though that we actually have a choice these days between commentators? 

22 hours ago, Kent said:

Nobody has brought up Clare Rustad. I think she's really good, and probably available. I'd prefer her over Robinson and Caldwell. I like Wileman and KJ. For me it's her, DeVos and Forrest that I like the most as Canadian born commentators. Forrest obviously is on contract with Sportsnet, DeVos hopefully is busy with his CSA job, but Rustad just does occasional work for CBC so I would think she could have been an option.

I'm not fan of Rustad. I do appreciate the way she just doesn't bother responding to Rauter's more idiotic questions though.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Rustad is a practicing doctor. It's probably tough for her to take off a month at a time, especially given that TSN already has in-house options.

I didn’t know that. That’s a good enough excuse to be busy.

5 hours ago, rightback said:

The problem I have with the international feed commentators is that, without a colour man, they run out of things to say fairly quickly and fill in the airtime with verbal diarrhea. I have a strong urge most of the time to strangle Peter Drury as he loves to go on and on and on about "how the mighty have fallen" or some such drivel. I've taken to watching the BBC just to get away from them (I like Ian Darke though, I thought he had a colour man somehow but could be wrong). 

As far as hosts/analysts are concerned, I find KJ informative and Wileman and Caldwell are fine (the latest inovation of KJ and Caldwell standing in front of a TV hasn't worked for me though). On the other hand, I really enjoyed hearing the opinions of those who have played at the highest level such as Pablo Zabeleta, Lineker, Fabregas and Shearer after the Croatia-Argentina game at the BBC. I like Forrest and DeVos the most for Canadian content but I assume they're both unavailable this time around. 

Isn't it amazing and great though that we actually have a choice these days between commentators? 

In the case of Forrest, he is with Sportsnet rather than TSN.

I thought Dunfield was pretty good from what I saw today, other I don’t know how he didn’t think the two Swiss players tackling the Serbian in the box wasn’t a PK - what did they need to do to get whistled there, chop the guy’s head off?

8 hours ago, rightback said:

I think it depends upon the quality of the one person calling the game and in my case, just a personnel preference.  The best know how to milk the silence better.  To me, two in the both is perpertual verbal diarrhea and they just trip over themselves saying the same things anyway.  When Fox had three in the booth (pbp, Twellman, Donovan) a couple of years ago for a tournament (Gold Cup?  Copa America?), there wasn't enough oxygen in the booth.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tg11
1 hour ago, Ivan said:

The part where he talks about Canada is quite impressive.  He's got me pumped!

Herdman seems awfully sure of himself awfully sure of this national team but they haven't exactly done enough to inspire confidence within CONCACAF for my liking anyway. Not to mention they would have to get past teams like USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, Jamaica, etc. to qualify.

3 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Herdman seems awfully sure of himself awfully sure of this national team but they haven't exactly done enough to inspire confidence within CONCACAF for my liking anyway. Not to mention they would have to get past teams like USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, Jamaica, etc. to qualify.

Like  I  said  before the real work stars now we have about 2 years to  go until World Cup qualifying and man do we have a lot of work to do

Just imagine a semi final group like this : Mexico, Panamá, Canada and Haiti. 3 points in Panama City ? mmmmm : no.  A draw in Toronto with the canaleros. 2 defeats against Mexico. and with Haiti a big question mark....

close to the hex , but not enough as usual..... Canada has to win away matches ! 

Edited by xabuep2

Guest Tg11
9 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Like  I  said  before the real work stars now we have about 2 years to  go until World Cup qualifying and man do we have a lot of work to do

Yes I know right but like I said before Canada has very little work ethic and when they play as a team they have the ability to get results but mentally or psychologically they can't get over the hump of the big teams in CONCACAF

Guest Tg11
9 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Just imagine a semi final group like this : Mexico, Panamá, Canada and Haiti. 3 points in Panama City ? mmmmm : no.  A draw in Toronto with the canaleros. 2 defeats against Mexico. and with Haiti a big question mark....

close to the hex , but not enough as usual..... Canada has to win away matches ! 

What I keep stressing to all of you Canada can't win on the road so how do you expect them to qualify for Qatar 2022?

14 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Mexico and US are the teams ahead of us for now, the rest of those teams we could and shall beat them.???

Edited by MtlMario

Guest Tg11
22 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Mexico and US are the teams ahead of us for now, the rest of those teams we could and shall beat them.???

Costa Rica, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Haiti you think Canada can beat those teams? Costa Rica most definitely not. Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, El Salvador, Guatemala probably but Honduras and Panama not even. Haiti definitely.

Just now, Tg11 said:

Costa Rica, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Haiti you think Canada can beat those teams? Costa Rica most definitely not. Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, El Salvador, Guatemala probably but Honduras and Panama not even. Haiti definitely.

We can, and have beaten all of those teams.