Herdman new head coach

matty

On 3/29/2018 at 10:31 PM, Grizzly said:

You must be only talking to people who immigrated to Canada a long time ago. Since the late 90s the majority of Chinese immigration has been coming from mainland China. Even most of the Hong Kong immigrants since its return to China now feel a connection to PRC. A China game in Canada might not be that interesting for those who have been in Canada for a long time but would get a lot of interest from more recent immigrants plus the numerous Chinese students at universities which is enough people to get a pretty big turnout in any major Canadian city.

Errr... most definitely not. If anything, Hong Kongers have tended to feel less of a connection to the PRC ever since the handover, and these rates are astronomical for youth -> https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-anniversary/hong-kong-youths-turn-their-backs-on-chinese-identity-survey-idUSKBN19B1IE  Where only 3% see themselves as Chinese.

As a Hong Konger myself, I've yet to meet a single person in Canada feeling 'a connection with the PRC'. A lot of us still identify as Chinese, but definitely not the PRC.

That said, I do think a China game would draw interest. I just see little probability that China would want to travel here to play.

Didn't realize my post about China would have such discussion traction :) , out of frustration was just naming random countries of the top of my head that "could work" because nothing happening until September, I could name another 5-8 countries lol.

I'll admit def might have been reaching there about "sell-out" vs China, my bad, but stand by solid interest fin the game IMO.

I do like the Victoria idea or Halifax for a friendly (summer lots of direct flights from Europe to Halifax, shorter travel for Euro teams).

Blabbing on here, but man for me it's just really frustrating.

I'm curious what are the $$$ numbers when we hosted Jamaica for that Sept friendly? ~60%-80% capacity? Do we really lose that much money on those games?

Also, when we play "neutral games" in Europe... does that eliminate the "appearance fee" ? so we are just split the stadium rental? I'm assuming so. 

On 3/31/2018 at 2:42 PM, mpg_29 said:

I mean...what exactly would they be going to look at in Russia?

S00000 he can see first hand.... how the eff Panama pulled it off by qualifying for the WC. 

Not saying they did not earn it, but man lots of fortunate bounces and circumstances along the way, along with the late goal magic by Torres in multiple games.

My trolling aside, I think it's good he's going, my previous "High-performance sports experience", not going to list the reasons why, have to get some work done.

Just hope it's only 1-3 guys, not an entire entourage.

Edited by apbsmith

17 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

S00000 he can see first hand.... how the eff Panama pulled it off by qualifying for the WC. 

Not saying they did not earn it, but man lots of fortunate bounces and circumstances along the way, along with the late goal magic by Torres in multiple games.

My trolling aside, I think it's good he's going, my previous "High-performance sports experience", not going to list the reasons why, have to get some work done.

Just hope it's only 1-3 guys, not an entire entourage.

I mean the only thing I can think of that you can't get from just watching the games on TV would be like the team training sessions or something...if those are even open to public.

• 2 months later...

Herdman is a good manager like look at what he did for our women's program. I can say that for the men he has a long way to go but I can honestly can't wait to see how the team does under him as manager. If he can install that confidence that faith within the men like how he did for the women then I can see Herdman doing a great job as manager. His first hurdle will definitely be the 2019 Gold Cup for sure. After that comes Qatar 2022 qualifying.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:07 AM, Tg11 said:

Herdman is a good manager like look at what he did for our women's program. I can say that for the men he has a long way to go but I can honestly can't wait to see how the team does under him as manager. If he can install that confidence that faith within the men like how he did for the women then I can see Herdman doing a great job as manager. His first hurdle will definitely be the 2019 Gold Cup for sure. After that comes Qatar 2022 qualifying.

He'll be the face of the program until after the 2026 tournament.  I really hope the team grows under his leadership.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:02 AM, Rheo said:

I've said this on Twitter, you know half of what Herdman says is pie in the sky BS but he sells it so well.  

For high-level athletes, confidence is essential for performance.  He can't give anyone confidence (you have to earn it), but he can try to remove obstacles to it that have nothing to do with play.  Defeatism, doubt, fear, lack of ambition, isolation... get in the way of training and playing.  I'm sure his psychological "BS" is planned out to the same extent as the rest of his more traditional manager's tasks, and that's why he can sell it so well.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He'll be the face of the program until after the 2026 tournament.  I really hope the team grows under his leadership.

All you need is for poor results to combine with another, new CSA president and board, and he's out. The egos of those at the top got him in, other egos can do the opposite. 

I hope we qualify for Qatar because waiting for sloppy seconds in 2026 is not too inspiring for me.

8 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

If he leads us qualification for 2022 you can bet he will be leading us in 2026 unless something exceptional happens.  Assuming we don’t need to qualify he won’t be in a  position where our poor hex or lack of making it will cause his demise.

This.

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

If he fails to qualify for 2022 he should be sacked.

And this.

If we go to Qatar it would take a series of debacles in 2026 prep. to get rid of Herdman. If we don't qualify he should be out, but with Canadian soccer you never know.

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah 8 years is a long time for a head coach of a National team. I'd be quite surprised if he is still around in 2026.

Yes I too would be surprised if he is still around but stranger things have happened.

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

If he leads us qualification for 2022 you can bet he will be leading us in 2026 unless something exceptional happens.  Assuming we don’t need to qualify he won’t be in a  position where our poor hex or lack of making it will cause his demise.

Well if we are given automatic qualification for 2026 then we don't have to worry about coaching

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All you need is for poor results to combine with another, new CSA president and board, and he's out. The egos of those at the top got him in, other egos can do the opposite. 

Your, others', and my definition of "poor results" are probably a lot different from Herdman's.  I can see your second argument but, short of a big time off field issue, I just can't see a bureaucratic ouster of this guy.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

If we go to Qatar it would take a series of debacles in 2026 prep. to get rid of Herdman. If we don't qualify he should be out, but with Canadian soccer you never know.

The  spin/TED talk savvy will keep him at the helm for a long time.  "Poor results" can be spun into anything in the Trumpian age.

Plus our national team is young and Herdman is the kind of coach who is perfect in the sense that he knows what to do to get the best out of youth...look at what he did for our women's program? The youth on that team he basically made them better through his coaching but also as a whole he made them all the way around because he installed a winning culture as far as the women. Can he do the same with the men by qualifying us to 2022 and 2026?

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It should be the case that if he fails to get us to the 2019 Gold Cup semis he should be sacked, since apparently getting us to the QF was insufficient for Zambrano to keep his job. We probably won't get that consistency however.

Yeah but would they really fire him though? I mean the expectations for us when it comes to any major tournament is already low so if we get to QF or even semis then wouldn't that be an accomplishment either way?

13 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It should be the case that if he fails to get us to the 2019 Gold Cup semis he should be sacked, since apparently getting us to the QF was insufficient for Zambrano to keep his job. We probably won't get that consistency however.

It would only be inconsistent if Zambrano was fired for his results. He wasn't.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

It would only be inconsistent if Zambrano was fired for his results. He wasn't.

I guess that makes sense but who would you rather have as a manager leading us into the future? Zambrano? Or Herdman? I would go with Herdman any day