Metro Vancouver CPL Club

26 minutes ago, Shway said:

Sorry if I missed this… But where are they playing?

At the LEC in Langley (Willoughby Community Park, Northwest Synthetic Field), just a few minutes off of the Freeway.

https://webfiles.tol.ca/RCP/ParkMaps/Willoughby Community Park.pdf

Edited by CDNFootballer

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I drove there in 50 minutes from 1st and Main in Friday traffic last summer.

Just checked on Google. Right now, which is not a time of day I'd usually want to drive in Vancouver, I can apparently get from my old man's house on Capitol Hill to the ground in 49 minutes. I imagine that'd come down by a few minutes during less peak times.

I really hope that the grey in their colour pallette is a trim colour.  They hopefully will dominate with the red, but overall the colours aren't bright enough for my liking.  That's just my hunch at this point, I'll reserve judgement for when the full kit is revealed. 

From the North Shore, chatted with my mens team at practice tonight about this. It went from excitement, to "its in Langley?" ,"why don't they play at swanguard?", "why would I drive an extra 90 minutes when whitecaps tickets are 20 bucks more"

anecdotal but I think you'll only get causal fans from the very immediate area. 

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Swangard angle is a sensible question. Didn't appear to meet the league's stadium requirements along with Centre Sportive Claude-Robillard in Montreal or maybe somebody else had an exclusivity agreement in place?

Swangard has historical limitations. One is the track. The other is there's only one stand, the main one. Burnaby has historically blocked serious efforts to add decent stands at ends or along the empty side. The pitch is great, access is good, amenities can be set up well. It has history, fans would go.

I suspect the Whitecaps have lobbied to keep the CPL as far away as possible, as a further point, we heard similar in 2019.

Apart from that, there was always an idea of shifting towards where demographic growth is happening, in the Fraser Valley.

TSS Rovers in L1 play at Swangard, which I like, it densifies the Vancouver football landscape.

So the coach Ghotbi was hired a month ago, he says they've been analyzing the 40+ free agents in CPL.

Then foreigners.  They want to get the core of 16 Canadians first it seems.

He praised the commitment of guys in CPL on low salaries, something that the OneSoccer folk were visibly uncomfortable with, goofs.

He didn't say how he plays though seemed to favour a vertical play with ball skills at speed, if I grasped that correctly.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

only 32% wanted vancouver in the name..add up valley, fraser, langley...and its much more than that

You then should add Metro, Mainland & even BC to Vancouver's totals.

Using the specific name results, 27% picked Vancouver in some form vs 16% for Valley/Langley/Fraser names.

Kwantlen would have been nice choice. Rain FC would have been apt for our social media age.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Having heard how the survey was conducted, I would call it "less than scientific".  They had the name trademarked and ready before starting the survey.

It'd be pretty stupid to tell people a list of names you were considering before you'd taken steps to secure those names, no?

20 hours ago, sandman said:

anecdotal but I think you'll only get causal fans from the very immediate area. 

As I understand it, Pacific FC sells something like 50% of it's tickets to people living in Langford.

That means that a municipality of app 35k provides as many bums in seats as the rest of the CRD with a population of 335k.

Great penetration/awareness in Langford but a total failure to connect with the larger community IMO.

21 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

It'd be pretty stupid to tell people a list of names you were considering before you'd taken steps to secure those names, no?

No, as in they secured the one they wanted and then asked people what name they wanted.  They chose the name, and then looked for confirmation of the name they had already chosen.

Edited by Watchmen

41 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No, as in they secured the one they wanted and then asked people what name they wanted.  They chose the name, and then looked for confirmation of the name they had already chosen.

I want Deloitte and Touche to audit this survey data 😉.

No seriously.  And get that My Pillow guy to investigate, as well.

7 hours ago, ted said:

As I understand it, Pacific FC sells something like 50% of it's tickets to people living in Langford.

That means that a municipality of app 35k...

With stats as lopsided as that I'd query whether Stew Young and the municipality were buying x number of tickets as part of the deal that lured "Port City" away from the lower mainland.

I'm going Sweden and start a Fraser/Valley/Langley/Not sure majority coalition 

So when did this poll happen? Like most polls nobody asked my opinion 

At this point in the game my vote goes to whatever let's just move it along 

Besides this Vancouver name seems to really annoy Vancouver people so that's kinda fun

Edited by SpursFlu