Metro Vancouver CPL Club

On 10/28/2022 at 11:51 AM, narduch said:

So will Kah be named manager on the big announcement day too?

On 10/28/2022 at 12:44 PM, nolando said:

That's my hunch too...

Not saying it won't be him, but heard that his departure from Dallas was because he wanted to explore opportunities in Europe.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, SpursFlu said:

The reason people can't find Langley on a map is why it's called Vancouver. Who can find Surrey on a map? Yet Surrey will probably soon be one of the largest cities in Canada. The point is people outside of BC should get to know things. Who hell knows what York is or Brampton is or Hamilton? What the hell or where the hell is Hamilton? But apparently we're supposed to know these things. The team is in Surrey like Swangard stadium is in Vancouver and the team was called the Vancouver 86ers and Whitecaps. We could go around in circles but the bottom line is the team is called Vancouver because Canadians are ignorant when it comes to BC, people lack vision and the owners took a super safe direction and basically chose a "brand" in Vancouver that tela prompter reader in Toronto would understand 

I dont like it but it's done and listening to people who have never been to the Fraser Valley act like they know or even have people technically try and say it is Vancouver are both extremely annoying. It's not in Vancouver, they called it Vancouver. Some beurocratic administrative organization thats completely dated doesnt mean shit. The LA Angeles are not in LA, they're in Anaheim which is in Orange County which is very different than LA. So don't be surprised if one day the team is called Fraser Valley FC then Surrey FC then back to Vancouver FC. Whatever get over it. If you don't like it keep cheering for the Vancouver Whitecaps. Drive right past the LEC get in traffic for an hour, pay $30 for parking. $20 for a beer. Watch them lose to some random expansion team from a place on the other side of the continent. And be happy

Agree about the branding decision being smart despite my personal disagreement with the name. Should note though, if someone doesn’t  know where Hamilton is (one of the ten largest metro areas in the country), I’d hesitate to call them a Canadian ;)

3 hours ago, BurndenAce said:

Agree about the branding decision being smart despite my personal disagreement with the name. Should note though, if someone doesn’t  know where Hamilton is (one of the ten largest metro areas in the country), I’d hesitate to call them a Canadian ;)

I know we're winking away here so I'll say with a wink.. Surrey has a larger metro population than Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec City. Surrey Metro population cones in around 1 million. I think it comes in 7th or 8th in Canada

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I know we're winking away here so I'll say with a wink.. Surrey has a larger metro population than Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec City. Surrey Metro population cones in around 1 million. I think it comes in 7th or 8th in Canada

Does Surrey have a metro population? I always thought it was counted as part of Vancouver’s CMA. Could be wrong though.

Edited by BurndenAce

There are some places where population growth leads to two once-distinct places eventually growing into each other. Then there are other places that only sprout up to accommodate the overspill from the larger, original place. Toronto and Hamilton fall into the former category. Vancouver and Surrey are very much the latter. If Vancouver proper wasn't built on a tight peninsula, hemmed in to the north by mountains, to the west by the ocean, and to the south (eventually) by the US border, Surrey wouldn't be what it is today. It is very much a Vancouver suburb.

On 10/28/2022 at 12:15 PM, Ansem said:

The name "Vancouver" just helps them long term in term of overall visibility and allows them to move wherever a municipality sweetens the deal for a new venue. Today is Langley, could be Surrey in a decade or Burnaby or whatever.

Uhhhh, do you honestly think relocation is in the best interests of prospective fans or the league? Nothing would make me want to drop my support for a club quicker.

8 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

Uhhhh, do you honestly think relocation is in the best interests of prospective fans or the league? Nothing would make me want to drop my support for a club quicker.

Relocation within Metro Vancouver hence the name "Vancouver"

On 10/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Swangard Stadium is in the City of Burnaby, not Vancouver. The Vancouver 86ers never played an actual competitive match within the bounds of the City of Vancouver. I have lots of friends and family who reside in the Lower Mainland, south of the Fraser, and they all consider themselves for all intents and purposes to be Vancouverites.

Devil's advocate: Swangard is mere metres from the City of Vancouver, and many fans from Vancouver (myself included) travelled to Swangard to watch games. It's a more central location in Metro Vancouver than, for example, downtown Vancouver. It's serviced by a SkyTrain line. It's smack in the middle of Metro Vancouver's biggest population density: Vancouver, North Vancouver (City), Burnaby and New Westminster. It's a reasonably central location for all of Metro Vancouver. I would argue the 86ers represented "Vancouver" (both city and metro).

Meanwhile, the Township of Langley is the southeastern-most corner of Metro Vancouver, is on the opposite end of the Metro from the City of Vancouver, and has low population density. Others have talked about how few people from Vancouver, North Vancouver and Burnaby (and maybe even New Westminster?) would travel to Langley for games. I personally perceive this club as representing the Fraser Valley, rather than "Vancouver."

The club calling itself "Vancouver" might help the league look fancier, and may help attract international players, but what about trying to excite prospective local fans? I'm typically fine with "[City] FC" as a naming convention, but "Vancouver FC" doesn't have much personality (especially considering there's already Vancouver Whitecaps), and doesn't really reflect Langley/the Fraser Valley well - the area where prospective fans would actually come from. Wouldn't a local Valley angle be better bait to someone from Chilliwack or Abbotsford?

Look at the names of the A-League's two newest clubs: a team in the far western suburbs of Melbourne is called "Western United" (and has the second-highest attendance in the league), and a team in the southwestern suburbs of Sydney is named after the suburb it's based in (Macarthur). Does that perhaps give them more personality and local pull? (Macarthur is admittedly bottom of the league in attendance.)

I get that the league wants a "Toronto", "Montreal" and "Vancouver", and that the Whitecaps aren't in the CPL. But it would be a mistake for this new club to ignore the competition from an existing MLS club, and to just pretend it's as "Vancouver" as the Whitecaps. It needs to have some unique personality, some local pull. Unfortunately "Vancouver FC" just doesn't deliver that.

I suppose the devil's advocate to my devil's advocate is that York United tried to be more Yorky than Torontoy, and that has more or less failed.

37 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Relocation within Metro Vancouver hence the name "Vancouver"

Any kind of relocation, even within a metro region, should be best avoided. We need clubs to plant roots, not play musical chairs with municipalities. The last thing we need in Canadian spectator soccer is burning the few fans we do have.

16 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

Devil's advocate: Swangard is mere metres from the City of Vancouver, and many fans from Vancouver (myself included) travelled to Swangard to watch games. It's a more central location in Metro Vancouver than, for example, downtown Vancouver. It's serviced by a SkyTrain line. It's smack in the middle of Metro Vancouver's biggest population density: Vancouver, North Vancouver (City), Burnaby and New Westminster. It's a reasonably central location for all of Metro Vancouver. I would argue the 86ers represented "Vancouver" (both city and metro).

Meanwhile, the Township of Langley is the southeastern-most corner of Metro Vancouver, is on the opposite end of the Metro from the City of Vancouver, and has low population density. Others have talked about how few people from Vancouver, North Vancouver and Burnaby (and maybe even New Westminster?) would travel to Langley for games. I personally perceive this club as representing the Fraser Valley, rather than "Vancouver."

The club calling itself "Vancouver" might help the league look fancier, and may help attract international players, but what about trying to excite prospective local fans? I'm typically fine with "[City] FC" as a naming convention, but "Vancouver FC" doesn't have much personality (especially considering there's already Vancouver Whitecaps), and doesn't really reflect Langley/the Fraser Valley well - the area where prospective fans would actually come from. Wouldn't a local Valley angle be better bait to someone from Chilliwack or Abbotsford?

Look at the names of the A-League's two newest clubs: a team in the far western suburbs of Melbourne is called "Western United" (and has the second-highest attendance in the league), and a team in the southwestern suburbs of Sydney is named after the suburb it's based in (Macarthur). Does that perhaps give them more personality and local pull? (Macarthur is admittedly bottom of the league in attendance.)

I get that the league wants a "Toronto", "Montreal" and "Vancouver", and that the Whitecaps aren't in the CPL. But it would be a mistake for this new club to ignore the competition from an existing MLS club, and to just pretend it's as "Vancouver" as the Whitecaps. It needs to have some unique personality, some local pull. Unfortunately "Vancouver FC" just doesn't deliver that.

I suppose the devil's advocate to my devil's advocate is that York United tried to be more Yorky than Torontoy, and that has more or less failed.

Oh, I don't disagree with much of what you're saying here. I'm a North Burnaby boy, and I'd have been unlikely to travel to Langley to watch a match more than once or twice a season, if that, if I still lived there. However, I was just countering some of the blatant bullshit that our local knobhead was spewing earlier. As it is, if I'm home for a visit during football season, I'll probably try to make a trip out to Langley to catch a came, just for the novelty factor and to give some support to the national league. I already do the same whenever I'm back with the Whitecaps. I almost always get to a game with a few of my mates, and usually enjoy it, even when the team's toilet.

I really like saving my shillings and getting a flight to Victoria twice a year for a match or driving down from the Okanagan, staying in Burnaby or Coquitlam, and skytraining downtown for the Caps, but not just for the game:  the post match pub crawl/night life is also a big thing for me.  I get many options in those two venues for places to stay, to hang out, and to get around without a vehicle.  I'm not sure what to expect in Langley if I decide to go down for a game next season.

13 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

... Look at the names of the A-League's two newest clubs: a team in the far western suburbs of Melbourne is called "Western United" (and has the second-highest attendance in the league), ...

Don't disagree with what you are saying on names but think you'll find that the support level for the two latest A League clubs Western United in Melbourne and Macarthur FC in Sydney has tended to be horrifically low for the most part. Maybe they played the Victory recently or something early on in the new season? Western Sydney Wanderers worked well though and that would maybe be the better example to cite.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't disagree with what you are saying on names but think you'll find that the support level for the two latest A League clubs Western United in Melbourne and Macarthur FC in Sydney has tended to be horrifically low for the most part. Maybe they played the Victory recently or something early on in the new season? Western Sydney Wanderers worked well though and that would maybe be the better example to cite.

Whoops, I'm an idiot. Second-highest league attendance last season was Western Sydney Wanderers. Second-lowest was Western United. So the two clubs I cited had the two lowest average attendances in the men's A-League.

Hmmm, the plot thickens! Why has Western Sydney Wanderers been a success at the gate?

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Can hang out with the Hells Angels post match.

It is true that Langley's per capita contribution to Canada's gang landscape is probably tops. UN Gang and various other "infamous" gangs of the past 30 years have sprouted out of the Valley. Mostly because of its proximity to the border. In the late 90s there were estimates that up to nearly 30% of homes in certain areas were grow ops. Surrey has the rep but most of the organized crime has come from further in to the Valley. Surrey is more of the place where the crime actually happens. All silliness aside I do hope the team presents itself in a way that reflects the area because as I've pointed out at nauseum, Langley/Valley is not Vancouver. 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Blue and White Army said:

....Hmmm, the plot thickens! Why has Western Sydney Wanderers been a success at the gate?

My understanding is that Western Sydney is detached enough from the city core to effectively almost be a separate community in its own right with its own identity. That doesn't necessarily apply so much to Western Melbourne. They may have been better off that way with another bid centred around Dandenong to the south-east of Melbourne but the key selling point appears to have been that Western United had an impressive plan for a soccer specific stadium.

Have also seen it claimed that there were large populations in Western Sydney from soccer loving post-WWII demographics that were not all that keen on supporting Sydney FC because it was viewed as a rebirth of Sydney City from the NSL era in ownership and jersey colour terms who had been rivals to clubs like Sydney United, Marconi, and Parramatta FC that were based in the western suburbs. There was less baggage that way with the Melbourne Victory.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 10/31/2022 at 10:31 PM, SpursFlu said:

Langley is part of Metro Vancouver but not part of Metro Surrey? Let's think about what we're saying here folks. Surrey City population is now over 600k

The problem is that Metro Surrey isn't a thing. Statistics Canada decides what is, and what isn't, a Census Metropolitan Area. If a city is considered a suburb of one CMA, I am pretty sure it won't be included in another CMA.

You'll notice the lack of Surrey in this list of the largest metropolitan areas in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada

The fact that Surrey has a sizable population doesn't make it have it's own metro area, just like Mississauga and Brampton aren't considered CMAs either.