Jump to content

Metro Vancouver CPL Club


Recommended Posts

BCFC name trademarked by SixFive Sports & Entertainment Inc. 

Not sure if this is the Surrey/Fraser Valley group, but seems like BC Football Club may be the name for a Metro Vancouver based CPL club.

Hopefully based in Surrey, I prefer either the use of "BC" or "Vancouver" for the clubs name as it identifies with the large big name market Metro Vancouver is.

 

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1861393&lang=eng&tab=reg

Edited by CDNFootballer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you made a mistake. Vancouver & West Vancouver should now be "Billionaire Boys Club" and Burnaby & North Vancouver "Soon to be Billionaire Boys Club" Surrey & Langley could be "Where everyone else is forced to live, never to return to DT Vancouver unless they own a helicopter"

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think you made a mistake. Vancouver & West Vancouver should now be "Billionaire Boys Club" and Burnaby & North Vancouver "Soon to be Billionaire Boys Club" Surrey & Langley could be "Where everyone else is forced to live, never to return to DT Vancouver unless they own a helicopter"

You're blowing things out of proportion. You can afford a closet in Vancouver if you're a millionaire and can find waterfront property if you're willing to sleep on a few rocks.

Edited by harrycoyster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2017 at 6:08 PM, TRM said:

If they are naming it BCFC I think that is a good idea. Make your self as different from the MLS team as possible. No mention of Vancouver in the name.

So, you would have no problem with a team playing somewhere in Metro Toronto called "Canada FC"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stealth & Giants 2 underperforming sport properties for sure. Vancouver Giants will change their name eventually, the owner was more than a little bitter about having to move there in the first place so I think it took some time to face the reality that his once very successful junior hockey team was no longer relevant in Vancouver. As far as the Stealth, everyone agrees it's a dumb name. I'm more of a New Westminster Salmonbellies man myself.

I'm not the biggest fan of BCFC but they could do worse. I think the most interesting thing about it is their ambition and seems they are looking to mow the Caps lawn a bit

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2017 at 9:16 PM, Complete Homer said:

...I just think it's a but out of step of the rhetoric the league seemed to be pursuing 

And the entire trend of marketing in general and especially soccer in North America.

One single word , above all others, is key to marketing success in this era: AUTHENTICITY

Without it, you are dead n the water in a business that depends on passionate bums in seats. They can have the best frigging soccer in the world, but if the stadiums are empty, or sparsely-filled and quiet, the whole thing is pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Three possible locations for proposed Surrey sports stadium

City tight-lipped on how many applications arose, but soccer league wants to build stadium in Surrey

The City of Surrey has revealed three possible locations for a proposed sports stadium in Surrey.

Cloverdale Fairgrounds, Bridgeview or City Centre are three areas the city says it has land that could house such a facility, Councillor Bruce Hayne told the Now-Leader.

The post does not indicate what pro sport would be played in the facility, nor what size the stadium might be.

But last month, potential franchise operators with the new Canadian Premier League said they want to build and operate an “outdoor spectator stadium” on city-owned land.

https://www.peacearchnews.com/news/three-possible-locations-for-proposed-surrey-sports-stadium/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2017 at 3:50 PM, CDNFootballer said:

BCFC name trademarked by SixFive Sports & Entertainment Inc. 

Not sure if this is the Surrey/Fraser Valley group, but seems like BC Football Club may be the name for a Metro Vancouver based CPL club.

Hopefully based in Surrey, I prefer either the use of "BC" or "Vancouver" for the clubs name as it identifies with the large big name market Metro Vancouver is.

 

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1861393&lang=eng&tab=reg

really hope it's surrey, personally.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 20/11/2017 at 7:54 PM, ted said:

And the entire trend of marketing in general and especially soccer in North America.

One single word , above all others, is key to marketing success in this era: AUTHENTICITY

Without it, you are dead n the water in a business that depends on passionate bums in seats. They can have the best frigging soccer in the world, but if the stadiums are empty, or sparsely-filled and quiet, the whole thing is pointless.

I fail to see how BC is not authentic. It is as authentic as the name of any city, seems to me. There are, also, a few sports teams in the US named after States, and it is not a bad formula. A state, or a province in our terms, at least is something common people identify with. 

BCFC is IMO a smart name. If another team comes along in the province, let them figure out what to call themselves. I mean, you have Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning, in the same division. Texas Rangers and Houston Astros. What is the big deal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I fail to see how BC is not authentic. It is as authentic as the name of any city, seems to me. There are, also, a few sports teams in the US named after States, and it is not a bad formula. A state, or a province in our terms, at least is something common people identify with. 

BCFC is IMO a smart name. If another team comes along in the province, let them figure out what to call themselves. I mean, you have Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning, in the same division. Texas Rangers and Houston Astros. What is the big deal?

This is something I've never really tought of... I don't dislike this so much now... Still wish it was more area specific though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I fail to see how BC is not authentic. It is as authentic as the name of any city, seems to me. There are, also, a few sports teams in the US named after States, and it is not a bad formula. A state, or a province in our terms, at least is something common people identify with. 

BCFC is IMO a smart name. If another team comes along in the province, let them figure out what to call themselves. I mean, you have Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning, in the same division. Texas Rangers and Houston Astros. What is the big deal?

This is how I feel. BCFC will likely be my club (just so long as the Saskatchewan club doesn't lure me away). A club named Surrey would not be. I can't explain it, I just wouldn't cheer for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why have to deal with the problem of having a team in one city that neighbours do not relate to, which would be the case with Surrey. Surrey has a historical stigma, which has decreased and is mostly residual, but it is still there. Now sure, a city hall would like a team named after their town, as it is another step towards reducing this negative image (along with having a university campus, a good museum, improved transit, and dealing with drug crime). So I think it is eventually going to happen, Surrey as a brand for a sports team, and not just talking about box lacrosse. But for now, you do the reverse operation: you act like a big city by naming your team after the region, taking on the role of hosting it. Looked at in a certain way, that is a prestige move as well. "Surrey is the proud host of BCFC". Or maybe name the stadium so that the city name features, Surrey Stadium. "BC wins big at Surrey Stadium". 

Is there anyone anywhere in BC who is not proud of being from BC? I honestly do not think so, it probably has a better overall image and rating amongst residents than any of the larger cities. 

 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why have to deal with the problem of having a team in one city that neighbours do not relate to, which would be the case with Surrey. Surrey has a historical stigma, which has decreased and is mostly residual, but it is still there. Now sure, a city hall would like a team named after their town, as it is another step towards reducing this negative image (along with having a university campus, a good museum, improved transit, and dealing with drug crime). So I think it is eventually going to happen, Surrey as a brand for a sports team, and not just talking about box lacrosse. But for now, you do the reverse operation: you act like a big city by naming your team after the region, taking on the role of hosting it. Looked at in a certain way, that is a prestige move as well. "Surrey is the proud host of BCFC". Or maybe name the stadium so that the city name features, Surrey Stadium. "BC wins big at Surrey Stadium". 

Is there anyone anywhere in BC who is not proud of being from BC? I honestly do not think so, it probably has a better overall image and rating amongst residents than any of the larger cities. 

 

I totally agree with everything you said. I suspect the complaing comes from people who don' want to cheer for this team because they're not from that area and can't wrap their head around disliking a team called British Columbia anything

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I totally agree with everything you said. I suspect the complaing comes from people who don' want to cheer for this team because they're not from that area and can't wrap their head around disliking a team called British Columbia anything

Are you serious? Do you really have no understanding of how supporters culture works?

Claiming to represent all of BC is simply poor marketing based on the what has been shown to be successful in soccer in North America and elsewhere.

Do you think BC should have only one team in the CanPL 20 years from now? I think BC can support at least two, maybe as many as four teams in the CanPL and I think rivalries between BC teams are healthy and help make the game (and the marketing) stronger.  You should ask a football supporter what "derby" means. ;)

Do you think anyone outside a 90 -120 minutes drive from the home stadium will attend games regularly? Do you think that locals will wholeheartedly support a "local" soccer team that pretends to be something else?

If I lived in Surrey I'd be itching to show those bastards who make jokes that my community is real, that my community is not some low-rent suburb of Vancouver. That kind of base upon which to build a team identity, a successful brand, is far more likely to succeed than pretending to be bigger than the Whitecaps and a team for the whole province.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...