Metro Vancouver CPL Club

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Isn't he rumoured to be buying the Ottawa Senators?

Indeed he is...or at least he's interested in convincing multiple financial backers to buy the Sens because buying an NHL team these days is apparently a near-billion dollar enterprise. To lil ol' me this just seems so much less exciting than bankrolling an entire team on your own (or at least with a majority stake) in a brand-spanking new and fledgling league. Not to mention that soccer, not hockey, is on a meteoric rise in this country. A country which is not only in the World Cup in 2 weeks, but will be hosting it in less than 4 years. You have to think that an investment by a guy like him would draw so much attention to the league and the sport in general. But yeah, go Sens🙄

3 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Deadpool's Wrexham are now top of the table...you'd think he'd be at least slightly interested in replicating that success back home no? Just random thoughts as I slowly lose my mind in this WC buildup😖

No. The documentary made it pretty clear that Rob was the driving force on the Wrexham purchase and I think Ryan enjoys it but has no interest at all in trying to "replicate it back home". Because the Wrexham documentary is a global show for a variety of reasons and the CPL one would not be that.

55 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No. The documentary made it pretty clear that Rob was the driving force on the Wrexham purchase and I think Ryan enjoys it but has no interest at all in trying to "replicate it back home". Because the Wrexham documentary is a global show for a variety of reasons and the CPL one would not be that.

I mean yes...but it was after watching his first match that he said, "Football is a staggering, heartbreaking, gorgeous, tommy-gun of soul-deadening evil and beauty and I'm never sleeping again ever ever." I don't know about you, but that sounds to me that he may have developed a bit of an interest in the game. But whatever, like I said, just random thoughts and dreams. Don't be so pragmatic jeez🤣

A site focused on business side of football clubs (FBIN) interviewed our Friend. The first part is stuff most of us here know. In the latter half of the interview, Friend gives us some nuggets. 

- Our targets are 4 to 5 million in revenue a year
- We have 15 business staff and 16 technical staff
- Our goal is to be a top-three league in CONCACAF over 5 years
- I see nothing wrong with being a league that sells players, which is our goal
- It’s important that we target very young international talents, not some 29-year-old but maybe a 19-year-old who does not have an opportunity in Venezuela or Colombia but wants to come to Canada.

- It’s crucial to have some other leagues on the OneSoccer platform to grow and drive traffic because the more content we have, the more interest for the Canadian Premier League. So One Soccer is not quite there yet, but it’s one of our number one objectives to become more relevant with people watching games outside the stadiums.

- SixFive sports and entertainment is an investment fund that owns Pacific Football Club, and now we’ve also acquired the Vancouver Football Club. Of course, everybody talked about how you can own two clubs in one league, but the way it’s structured is more of an investment fund. There’s an entirely separate operation.
- With our investment fund, investors can now have the opportunity to invest in football with operators like ourselves who has the knowledge, the network, and an opportunity to invest in the Canadian Premier League without just spending a whole fortune.
- Hopefully, we will acquire a European club in the next short term 

- We’re so far behind in Canada regarding football infrastructure. There are not even 100 football stadiums, but there’s a growing league. We have created a second division now that we call League One Canada. So now we’re starting the second division in Canada. They need small stadiums like 2000-4000-seat stadiums. So we partnered with one of the biggest stadium manufacturers in Asia to have them come to Canada and North America to build these. These small football stadiums are just as important as anything else.

- I see football as an element that creates your own little micro-community where people would rather say hi to the person sitting next to them. People prefer to support that than the big corporate brands, right? This is something happening in the USL zone. Every club that comes up will create a new little community, stadium, and development infrastructure. They’re 10-15 years ahead of us, but, to me, we have some more interesting elements with our Canadian Soccer Business owning our own commercial assets, and broadcasting deal with Media Pro.

- Ultimately, our goal is 14 to 16 teams, and it’s not a matter of investor interest. There are, in fact, a lot of investors. Our goal is to add one team every year.. The biggest challenge to our growth is the stadium infrastructure. There’s a market that investors want, but there’s no stadium.

Edited by red card