Metro Vancouver CPL Club

I have come around on the name.  Basically, I don't hate the idea of being 'Vancouver' even though it's not.  I understand the logic.  

I really like the logo a lot, and think they've kept it clean and simple, but also sharp.  The colours are going to be the deal breaker, and am really excited to see what they go with.  I would really like a dark first kit with a white change kit.  I think that would be great!

Can't wait for a VFC v VWFC derby!

31 minutes ago, ted said:

That crest looks like someone's dad on a minor hockey team threw something together in photoshop in 1996. LOL

It does have a bit of a retro hockey look to it. If the colours will be red and black and think it will have strong look to it. I think that's a good thing for that area. I really dislike the Vancouver thing but the I give the logo a passing grade

Edited by SpursFlu

With all due respect, who can find Langley on a map outside of BC? Let alone outside the country. What about clubs abroad scouting... which name stands out? Langley or Vancouver where a certain Davies played?

The name "Vancouver" just helps them long term in term of overall visibility and allows them to move wherever a municipality sweetens the deal for a new venue. Today is Langley, could be Surrey in a decade or Burnaby or whatever.

Bigger picture my friend... bigger picture*

*Now I'm happy to say that the logo is a "meh" for me

Edited by Ansem

The reason people can't find Langley on a map is why it's called Vancouver. Who can find Surrey on a map? Yet Surrey will probably soon be one of the largest cities in Canada. The point is people outside of BC should get to know things. Who hell knows what York is or Brampton is or Hamilton? What the hell or where the hell is Hamilton? But apparently we're supposed to know these things. The team is in Surrey like Swangard stadium is in Vancouver and the team was called the Vancouver 86ers and Whitecaps. We could go around in circles but the bottom line is the team is called Vancouver because Canadians are ignorant when it comes to BC, people lack vision and the owners took a super safe direction and basically chose a "brand" in Vancouver that tela prompter reader in Toronto would understand 

I dont like it but it's done and listening to people who have never been to the Fraser Valley act like they know or even have people technically try and say it is Vancouver are both extremely annoying. It's not in Vancouver, they called it Vancouver. Some beurocratic administrative organization thats completely dated doesnt mean shit. The LA Angeles are not in LA, they're in Anaheim which is in Orange County which is very different than LA. So don't be surprised if one day the team is called Fraser Valley FC then Surrey FC then back to Vancouver FC. Whatever get over it. If you don't like it keep cheering for the Vancouver Whitecaps. Drive right past the LEC get in traffic for an hour, pay $30 for parking. $20 for a beer. Watch them lose to some random expansion team from a place on the other side of the continent. And be happy

Edited by SpursFlu

41 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

The reason people can't find Langley on a map is why it's called Vancouver. Who can find Surrey on a map? Yet Surrey will probably soon be one of the largest cities in Canada. The point is people outside of BC should get to know things. Who hell knows what York is or Brampton is or Hamilton? What the hell or where the hell is Hamilton? But apparently we're supposed to know these things. The team is in Surrey like Swangard stadium is in Vancouver and the team was called the Vancouver 86ers and Whitecaps. We could go around in circles but the bottom line is the team is called Vancouver because Canadians are ignorant when it comes to BC, people lack vision and the owners took a super safe direction and basically chose a "brand" in Vancouver that tela prompter reader in Toronto would understand 

Almost everywhere I've travelled, people describe themselves to outsiders using the name of the local metro area.  The names of the various subdivisions only come up when the discussion is on a more micro-scale.  So there's no shame or harm in referring to a team from the Vancouver area as Vancouver even if it is technically located in Surrey or where ever.

Also, even locally, the owners realize that most people are used to supporting a Vancouver team even if they don't actually live in Vancouver.  (Or even a BC team if it's the Lions.)  So by calling themselves Vancouver, they appeal to everyone in the area.  If they become very specific and call themselves Langley, then they actually put off fans from the rest of metro Vancouver.

Finally, municipal boundaries are arbitrary inside metro areas.  What is now the city of Toronto was six different municipalities until some point in the 1990s.  So Vancouver has chosen to keep all the smaller cities administratively separate even though you wouldn't know you're crossing a municipal boundary without a sign.  Whatever.  It's mostly the metro urban area that matters.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Almost everywhere I've travelled, people describe themselves to outsiders using the name of the local metro area.  The names of the various subdivisions only come up when the discussion is on a more micro-scale.  So there's no shame or harm in referring to a team from the Vancouver area as Vancouver even if it is technically located in Surrey or where ever.

Also, even locally, the owners realize that most people are used to supporting a Vancouver team even if they don't actually live in Vancouver.  (Or even a BC team if it's the Lions.)  So by calling themselves Vancouver, they appeal to everyone in the area.  If they become very specific and call themselves Langley, then they actually put off fans from the rest of metro Vancouver.

Finally, municipal boundaries are arbitrary inside metro areas.  What is now the city of Toronto was six different municipalities until some point in the 1990s.  So Vancouver has chosen to keep all the smaller cities administratively separate even though you wouldn't know you're crossing a municipal boundary without a sign.  Whatever.  It's mostly the metro urban area that matters.

But my push back is that there is a clear cultural divide between the Valley/Langley/Surrey and Vancouver. More now than ever. I for instance really detest Vancouver and really don't want to have anything do with it. If I never had to go to Vancouver again id be perfectly happy with that. But at the end of the day whatever. It's a soccer team and I have no doubt in 10 years this team won't be called Vancouver fc. It feels like a place holder until until a permanent locating and real estate deal can be put together 

Swangard Stadium is in the City of Burnaby, not Vancouver. The Vancouver 86ers never played an actual competitive match within the bounds of the City of Vancouver. I have lots of friends and family who reside in the Lower Mainland, south of the Fraser, and they all consider themselves for all intents and purposes to be Vancouverites. As per usual, most of what that other guy is saying is utter horse shit.