Metro Vancouver CPL Club

On 9/4/2022 at 2:14 PM, RJB said:

Because of the name?  Seems a bit petty. 

Why is it petty? How much time do you think I have in my life? I dont have 247 to watch football matches and support multiple teams. I've been a season ticket holder for the Whitecaps over 10 years and have been supporting the team for 20. You think I can just jump ship and change allegiance like that? Im not going to abandon a team to fully support another if im not fully engaged with what they're about. And let's be honest, a lower quality level of football. Thats not the end all for me but its real. I've built friendships and have relationships with people from supporting and going to Whitecaps games. I'm also not going to burn money and just go and buy season tickets to multiple teams. 

I don't have to do anything I don't want to do. You want to sit out in the Valley and scream I am Vancouver! Like that's amazing or something. Or you want to drive in to Vancouver screaming I am Vancouver for a Voyageurs Cup game so a bunch of soy boys can snicker at you.. fill your boots. Not my idea of a good time. And just because people who don't live here just can't wrap their heads around the fact that not everywhere in the Lower Mainland is Vancouver. Wow it's tough to grasp, I know 

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Why is it petty? How much time do you think I have in my life? I dont have 247 to watch football matches and support multiple teams. I've been a season ticket holder for the Whitecaps over 10 years and have been supporting the team for 20. You think I can just jump ship and change allegiance like that? Im not going to abandon a team to fully support another if im not fully engaged with what they're about. And let's be honest, a lower quality level of football. Thats not the end all for me but its real. I've built friendships and have relationships with people from supporting and going to Whitecaps games. I'm also not going to burn money and just go and buy season tickets to multiple teams. 

I don't have to do anything I don't want to do. You want to sit out in the Valley and scream I am Vancouver! Like that's amazing or something. Or you want to drive in to Vancouver screaming I am Vancouver for a Voyageurs Cup game so a bunch of soy boys can snicker at you.. fill your boots. Not my idea of a good time. And just because people who don't live here just can't wrap their heads around the fact that not everywhere in the Lower Mainland is Vancouver. Wow it's tough to grasp, I know 

Everywhere in the Lower Mainland IS Vancouver if it wants to be. Just like a third of New Jersey is New York if they so choose.

But no-one in Langley is ever Surrey under any circumstance, no North Van is ever West, no Delta is ever Whiterock. Vancouver holds it all together as do all metropolitan areas. They brand, have name recognition, get Olympics called after them, drive merchandising, attract sponsors.

In the history of humanity no-one has ever gone to Oshawa or Utah or Derry for a wedding and said "I'm from the Fraser Valley", and for good reason. 

Fraser Valley is a geographical feature, and with no particular charm. If you think it's a good name for a football team, you're wrong. Valleys are bottom land, peaks are far better. It's poor for a sports team. They won't use it anyways because the basketball team next door is called FV Bandits. 

Friend is right, brand it Vancouver and take on the Caps. 

On 9/3/2022 at 7:59 PM, Watchmen said:

Yeah, this is the problem here though. It's too far from Vancouver to attract Vancouver residents (of any number, on any consistent basis). And the initial fan response was that they're in the valley and wanted it to represent them.  That they *were* viewing it as closer to a "grass roots club" and something to distinguish themselves from the Whitecaps. This move has made them (from those I've heard from so far) very unhappy. 

"Very unhappy" 

I call bullshit big headed entitlement. 

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I love these BC geography/identity discussions.  

It's all bs. 

How many major sports teams in North America do not play in the municipality they're named after? 

Happens in Europe as well, but less.

The only reason Pacific isn't Victoria is because the mayor of Langford isn't interested in gifting a brand to a city that doesn't lead the Greater region, has a city council that could care less about soccer and isn't even the largest municipality in Greater Victoria. 

Fortunately for Friend and Co, the mayor and council members in Langley aren't so short sighted. 

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Everywhere in the Lower Mainland IS Vancouver if it wants to be. Just like a third of New Jersey is New York if they so choose.

But no-one in Langley is ever Surrey under any circumstance, no North Van is ever West, no Delta is ever Whiterock. Vancouver holds it all together as do all metropolitan areas. They brand, have name recognition, get Olympics called after them, drive merchandising, attract sponsors.

In the history of humanity no-one has ever gone to Oshawa or Utah or Derry for a wedding and said "I'm from the Fraser Valley", and for good reason. 

Fraser Valley is a geographical feature, and with no particular charm. If you think it's a good name for a football team, you're wrong. Valleys are bottom land, peaks are far better. It's poor for a sports team. They won't use it anyways because the basketball team next door is called FV Bandits. 

Friend is right, brand it Vancouver and take on the Caps. 

In international and national news, Vancouver always gets tagged with Surrey, Abbotsford’s and Langley’s shootings. Seems like a fair trade. 

21 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Lol perhaps you're not the target audience

Edited by Aird25

6 hours ago, ted said:

So much garbage. It looks like the logo for a Klingon Day spa on Risa. They had to back off using the Trident because they got hassled with BS claims from Maserati and by the time it was sorted they had already committed to the Lollipop Tree.

I think I once posted, in Barcelona people react to it, but think it's from some techno music label or trance duo, so whoever designed it had some nous. It's OK to try things. If they tweak it, make the letters larger, it could be better. 

11 hours ago, Soro17 said:

In international and national news, Vancouver always gets tagged with Surrey, Abbotsford’s and Langley’s shootings. Seems like a fair trade. 

And they offload their drug addictions and homelessness to Vancouver, apart from the upright Valley evangelicals going into town for their paid sex.... its called social dumping, they're happy to let those things be a Vancouver municipal problem because it cuts costs for them. 

The important thing: t'sall good for the CPL. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And they offload their drug addictions and homelessness to Vancouver, apart from the upright Valley evangelicals going into town for their paid sex.... its called social dumping, they're happy to let those things be a Vancouver municipal problem because it cuts costs for them. 

Zing!

Sounds like what the Vancouver people said about the riots. Oh its just a bunch of brown people from Surrey causing problems.Then they released the profile of the perpetrators.. its always the same profile.. rich kid from North Vancouver 2nd year at UBC etc etc Mad at mommy and daddy because they gave them everything but a hug. Now they live in East Van pretending its Brooklyn in 1994 and that makes them interesting but they're 45 with a bunch of bad tattoos and an expensive education they were too useless to take advantage of

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Sounds like what the Vancouver people said about the riots. Oh its just a bunch of brown people from Surrey causing problems.Then they released the profile of the perpetrators.. its always the same profile.. rich kid from North Vancouver 2nd year at UBC etc etc Mad at mommy and daddy because they gave them everything but a hug. Now they live in East Van pretending its Brooklyn in 1994 and that makes them interesting but they're 45 with a bunch of bad tattoos and an expensive education they were too useless to take advantage of

Man, you have some anger and resentment issues…

18 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I can't recall many of the rioters being from North Van.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:50 AM, An Observer said:

Man, you have some anger and resentment issues…

Every time he posts you realise why such a high % of guys in his Surrey neighbourhood are heading out to Vancouver for the action.

Then head back home for the habitual guilt and hypocritical self-loathing.

I am fine with it because, in the end, if just a few of these guys take out their misery at a CPL match in Langley instead of heading into the big city, Vancouver will be all the better for it.

And so will the Vancouver CPL team.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

Any updates yet? Team details were supposed to be revealed in September right?

Nothing was set in stone but Rob Friend said about a month ago :

"there’s a lot of work behind the scenes, and we hope to be able to launch in the middle to the end of September, and then it’ll be a whole rollout of announcements with the front office, players, coaches and some of the technical side from there.”

Its imminent anyways.