Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I saw that posted on FB.  Got me thinking about the economics of a large foreign club setting up a CPL feeder club in a place like Canada.  Startup costs would be pretty low on the bell curve of their overall operating expense.   You have a stable business and economic climate, and a footy market that is still relatively untapped (both in terms of players and fanbase).  How many Davies or Davids would you need to produce, and how often, for the economics to make sense - supplemented with normal league/club revenue streams?  

Honestly, probably just 1.

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

If it's a foreign owner that want's to set up a branch of a European Club...

Didn't the CanPL make it clear that was something they *didn't* want? Or are they starting to get desperate?

I know they didn’t want MLS affiliates for obvious reasons, but did this apply to Euro clubs as well?

Edited by dyslexic nam

On 12/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, mianjo said:

Rumour

Foreign investors have been shown around Ottawa with hopes of bringing pro soccer back to Ottawa

Can confirm a Euro club has definitely shown interest in being part of a team here in Ottawa. No idea where it stands at the moment. 

Edited by Ottawafan

If you look at the money waisted around the football world and now people like City and Red Bull buying teams like monopoly property. million and 800k salary seems like nothing. Davies has proved it to be true. You sign the next Davies at 15 you could potential nake a transfer that would pay your player salary for the next 30 years. Or created a pathway to transfer kids thru to your patent clubs on the cheap. I wonder what Gent feels about Jonathan David at the moment? Nice piece of business

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

If David does get sold for millions...wouldnt some of his previous Ottawa clubs be in line for hundreds of thousands in Solidarity payments??  

How far up their ads was Fury.. all they had to do was sign a 17yr old living under their nose and they could have made a few million by now

Edited by SpursFlu

Oh I think they tried, and the MLS clubs tried as well.  He got some good advice and had faith in his talent...held out and jumped right to europe.  But there are so many examples of kids and their reps with high opinions of themselves and things going badly for them. 

Still hope that all this baloney doesnt sour the grass roots in Ottawa.  A local kid has gone right to the tippy top of the soccer world, some of his transfer money should filter into his youth clubs....high tide lifting all boats etc etc.   

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

How far up their ads was Fury.. all they had to do was sign a 17yr old living under their nose and they could have made a few million by now

They were fully aware of him and his talent, but David had absolutely no interest whatsoever. He even refused an offer to train with the first team, which was way back in 2015 if I recall correctly.

Edited by Zem