Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, Zem said:

They were fully aware of him and his talent, but David had absolutely no interest whatsoever. He even refused an offer to train with the first team, which was way back in 2015 if I recall correctly.

Whoah.  

Of course that refusal may be down to some agently advice.  An abundance of caution as it were, regarding his development and so on.  Must improve the opportunities of a young player to get on with a club if they can be had no stings attached. 

2 hours ago, Zem said:

They were fully aware of him and his talent, but David had absolutely no interest whatsoever. He even refused an offer to train with the first team, which was way back in 2015 if I recall correctly.

Dos Santos did called MLS "a prison" after all lol

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

Obviously he was talking about the good young talent  not himself or coaches.

He was talking about movement within the league, not directly "good young talent".  Good players move on from MLS all the time, they just don't move withing MLS as easily.

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised at the number of people on here so eager to have Ottawa sell out and become the next franchise in a mega-corporations portfolio of teams.  If you're fine with a group that owns MLS teams in New York City FC or Red Bull New York, you might as well let the Whitecaps and TFC set up teams as well.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised at the number of people on here so eager to have Ottawa sell out and become the next franchise in a mega-corporations portfolio of teams.  If you're fine with a group that owns MLS teams in New York City FC or Red Bull New York, you might as well let the Whitecaps and TFC set up teams as well.

Teams shutting down their USL squads shouldn't be trusted to fully invest in a CPL squad. That's just argument #1

On 12/30/2019 at 11:50 AM, SpursFlu said:

How far up their ads was Fury.. all they had to do was sign a 17yr old living under their nose and they could have made a few million by now

Doubt he would have signed, he stayed with the same coach right through youth. He was wanted by MLS sides but wasn't interested in leaving his club.

8 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Doubt he would have signed, he stayed with the same coach right through youth. He was wanted by MLS sides but wasn't interested in leaving his club.

But don't people like money?I know Caps residency players get paid. I think it's not so much they didnt try but they didn't have enough to offer to a kid as a professional team says a lot. Theybwerent structured like a proper football club clearly 

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Teams shutting down their USL squads shouldn't be trusted to fully invest in a CPL squad. That's just argument #1

Well, I keep being told that the CPL is more financially viable than the USL, so surely they'd have a vested interest in wanting their teams to succeed.

37 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

But don't people like money?I know Caps residency players get paid. I think it's not so much they didnt try but they didn't have enough to offer to a kid as a professional team says a lot. Theybwerent structured like a proper football club clearly 

I think he knew the money would come. If it was about the money he would have moved because it's highly unlikely he got paid anything to stay in Ottawa with his youth clubs. With TFC, Impact or the Caps he would have made something. He would have also made something with the Fury.

It's been stated that he wanted to stay with his youth coach, that's why he switch from the Gloucester Hornets to the Ottawa Internationals. Apparently they had a plan on how his development would unfold and they stuck to it.

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think the discussion is whether an MLS reserve side is acceptable or whether a Man City or Red Bull type set up would be acceptable to the CPL.  I think there is a difference between the two.  

Exactly, a Euro owned setup like that or even Rayo OKC in NASL previously (with regards to the players on the OKC club not being from or connected to the Rayo Vallecano team at all) is different from a Canadian MLS franchise having a reserve/farm team or minor league affiliate type setup (or one disguised as one even partially).

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think the discussion is whether an MLS reserve side is acceptable or whether a Man City or Red Bull type set up would be acceptable to the CPL.  I think there is a difference between the two.  

So if the Whitecaps or TFC bought a CPL side, and abides by all the CPL rules, with limited loans between the the MLS side and the CPL side, that would be acceptable?  Because I think people on here would throw an absolutely fit about any involvement by a Canadian MLS side.

23 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

So if the Whitecaps or TFC bought a CPL side, and abides by all the CPL rules, with limited loans between the the MLS side and the CPL side, that would be acceptable?  Because I think people on here would throw an absolutely fit about any involvement by a Canadian MLS side.

C'mon... the conflict of interest is so flagrant I wouldn't know where to start. Pretty much any serious businesses have "conflict of interest" guidelines.

Would your employer let you work for its competitor? If you're a partner at a firm, they wouldn't want you to do business with its competitor

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They own MLS clubs, and all I hear from people on here is about how "MLS hates Canada and the CPL".

Yes the ownership owns MLS franchise but they have "conflict of interest" rules too.

Their loyalty is to MLS first and foremost, CPL asks the same from its owners. The conflict of interest is obvious.

If you think they'd market both teams on equal footing, you must have missed Bill Manning nonsense a few years ago. They aren't even hiding that they wouldn't.

48 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yes the ownership owns MLS franchise but they have "conflict of interest" rules too.

Their loyalty is to MLS first and foremost, CPL asks the same from its owners. The conflict of interest is obvious.

If you think they'd market both teams on equal footing, you must have missed Bill Manning nonsense a few years ago. They aren't even hiding that they wouldn't.

Bill Manning is in charge of Toronto FC, not MLSE.  If MLSE were to buy a CPL team to add to their portfolio of sports teams, it's no different from what Manchester City or Red Bull are doing.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Bill Manning is in charge of Toronto FC, not MLSE.  If MLSE were to buy a CPL team to add to their portfolio of sports teams, it's no different from what Manchester City or Red Bull are doing.

I agree and disagree - there is a slight difference, in that Man City and Red Bull don't own more than one team in a country, but I do agree that it would also be problematic if Man City or Red Bull were to buy a CPL team - as they own MLS teams that can be viewed as indirect competition (there is, of course, more competition between TFC and the CPL, but on a sporting level it's really just the Voyageurs Cup. Not ideal, but I don't believe there are any rules against RB Salzberg playing RB Leipzig in the Champions League).

My perspective on MLS-associated CPL teams is simple - if they want to be minority owners helping support a team then it's probably okay - but I think it would be best if any foreign owners did not have links to MLS. So, based on a guardian article from 2017, Atletico Madrid, which also owns teams in Mexico and France, would be fine, as would Roland Duchatelet (Spain, Belgium, Hungary, Germany, and, at the time, the UK). But Man City, Red Bull, Vincent Tan, and Erick Thohir would not be, as they all own MLS teams. 

Hell, I'd even support a team owned by the Glazers.

On 12/30/2019 at 1:13 PM, Zem said:

From why I understood David’s club coach had a vision for him and a few other high level kids. Didn’t want them tied down to a pro club. He was providing high level coaching and competition. Plus David was a high level player in the national program so he would be on the radar.