General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

41 minutes ago, Metro said:

I'm calling shenanigans on this one.  What sport requires faster reflexes than hockey?🙂

They use to say in Hockey to shoot high to the glove side on European goalies and avoid shooting low to the stick side.   The thinking was that Europeans goalies were good with their feet because of their soccer developed skills but were terrible on the glove side because they never played baseball as kids.  It was the opposite thinking with Canadian goalies.  But then all that kind of changed with Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur.  

Edited by Free kick

On 4/20/2022 at 10:24 AM, goleafs67 said:

The curtain has been pulled back... interesting look into how Campagna got involved as a training player and has stuck around. Some good quotes on the Herdman and the team

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/news/the-greatest-honour-of-my-life-how-wfc2-defender-cristian-campagna-got-called-up

@Olympique_de_Marseille you're better than this....😂

On 4/20/2022 at 1:42 PM, Free kick said:

There no shortage of American goal keepers.  Zac Steffen, Matt Turner, Bill Hamid,  Sean Johnson etc etc.  They could probably get Stefen Frey if they want to.   I heard good things about this kid, but clearly GK is not an area of need for the Americans.  

Americans have always produced an abundance of good Goalkeepers. From Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, Brad Guzan so on.

So i am not sure this would send shockwaves throughout their association

Hardly a goalkeeper factory, since clearly none of those guys are at the level of (scrolls up to double check the name) Kevin Moscoso.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

CMNT core who are having a strong club year as we speak:

The keepers

Tajon

Millar

Adekugbe

Phonzie

MLS apart from Maxime, jury's out. 

The rest are just okay or worse

MLS wise Osorio, Edwards, and St Clair have had phenomenal starts to the season. Now that most teams are roughly a quarter of the way through, that's not insignificant

10 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

MLS wise Osorio, Edwards, and St Clair have had phenomenal starts to the season. Now that most teams are roughly a quarter of the way through, that's not insignificant

I also left off Cornelius, and felt Kennedy had just an alright year, with his injury. Though glad his team stayed up in B2. 

I'd half to see a bit more of the MLSers, but you can't overstate them so early on. Will agree that St Clair looks promising. TFC: you can't bleed goals and exempt a mid. 

There's lots of talk about the US striker pool and their issues with finding a good #9, same with Mexico and their depth after Jimenez and the lingering Chicharito question.

This got me thinking about our striker pool. It's currently not producing at club level, but so far has been fine at international level (for now).

Is there any worry? David, Larin and Cavallini are currently not getting it done for a multitude of reasons at their clubs at the moment, and while it isn't all their faults, the simple fact is they aren't scoring.

I feel like this isn't an issue until it is, and when "it" is is anyone's guess. We're expecting David and Larin to have new clubs so perhaps in the fall this will all be moot but as for nations league there's a good chance our 4 will have 75% of them cold and the other striker is one who doesn't play much for Canada (Ugbo).

VinceA Is this a worry at all??  Lareya and Eustaquio came into last camp not even playing at all and they didnt seem to miss a beat.  David, Larin are pros...whatever is going on at their club (poor play overall, poor service, defensive play etc etc etc) it hasnt been reflected on what they have done for CMNT.  It would be different if we were seeing highlights of David/Larin burning chance after chance eh?? Or they had been injured and out of shape. 

When they come to camp, plug in with our mids, it sure seems like they can pick up where they left off last camp.  I think having our guys in big clubs and top leagues really helps this.  Borjan, Hutch, Arfield, Hoilett, Davies, Larin, David, Vitoria etc, so many of our guys have been through the wringer in club play in europe.  Having poor results in their day job doesnt seem to faze them with they put on the red and white.  

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

There's lots of talk about the US striker pool and their issues with finding a good #9, same with Mexico and their depth after Jimenez and the lingering Chicharito question.

This got me thinking about our striker pool. It's currently not producing at club level, but so far has been fine at international level (for now).

Is there any worry? David, Larin and Cavallini are currently not getting it done for a multitude of reasons at their clubs at the moment, and while it isn't all their faults, the simple fact is they aren't scoring.

I feel like this isn't an issue until it is, and when "it" is is anyone's guess. We're expecting David and Larin to have new clubs so perhaps in the fall this will all be moot but as for nations league there's a good chance our 4 will have 75% of them cold and the other striker is one who doesn't play much for Canada (Ugbo).

A year ago I sort of had the same concerns about keeper.

This also reminds me that a year ago we had guys like Akindele and Pasher playing well and regularly in MLS basically on the verge of the NT. And now neither of them are really even in any conversations about it.

I'm not really worried about our striker position. If worse comes to worse you play a front 3 with only one striker but with guys like Davies or Buchanan as attacking forwards.

For me our biggest worry is at CB. Vitoria's lack of playing time in 2022 worries me.

I think based on form for Nations League Ugbo should get a start with Hoilett and Buchanan flanking him. I don't think it's a good message Herdman is sending if these extreme goal droughts for Larin and David are rewarded with starts while Ugbo is banging them in while in the same league as David.

However I also think there's a possibility neither David nor Larin are in the Nations League squad if one is expecting a transfer and the other needs to find a new club (neither will want to risk injury).

21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Canada was fined CHF 15,000 the Canada-US game for 

Team misconduct (delayed kick off)
Order and security at matches (invasion of the field of play)

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/b37c2b928598242/original/9-FIFA_Disciplinary-Overview_2022-FWC-qualifiers_media_JAN_MAR.pdf

Were there pitch invaders? I remember them in Edmonton, I didn't think it happened in Hamilton