General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Delighted that the CSA were able to arrange such high profile opponents and yes we do need to prep for Copa, but  with a new coach who has had no camps/ games/ prep time with this squad, an 80% Netherlands and a 70% France  would be a good enough test given the current situation. Incremental steps. Most of this squad faced Belgium, Croatia, Morocco and Japan. Getting blown out in the 2 games would not be a positive going into Copa. Hopefully we won't.

Don't forget we also played Uruguay

2023 financials have been posted. 

Revenue ($34.5m)
Player Fees: $7.0m (up 458k YoY)
Govt grants: $3.88m (down $1.1m YoY)
FIFA/Concacaf Grants: $7.4m (down $11m YoY likely due to 2022 men’s FIFA prize monies)

Expense ($37.1m)
Men: $9.6m (down $8.9m YoY)
Women: $8.7m (down $5.3m YoY)
General & Admin: $5.8m (up $2m YoY)

Loss: $2.474m (was a loss of $6.337m in 2022)
Cash at YE: $5.2m

FIFA Loan: $6.6m ($3.8m of required $5.3m has already been spent on national teams. $0 of required $1.3m spent on staff. US$1m/yr to be repaid with no interest starting in 2027.)
CSB Payment: $3.25m (up 50k YoY)

CSPA Suit Filing: CSA has coverage under Director & Officers insurance policies and the claim is being handled as per these policies

https://canadasoccer.com/about-landing-page/about-resources/

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, red card said:

The third CANMNT episode of the Canada Soccer Originals series "On Guard", follows the team during Jesse Marsch's first camp - in friendlies against Holland and France.

Very well done. These episodes always give me goosebumps, starting with WCQ. Get a glimpse of what it's like on the inside  with the team/players/coaches. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Very well done. These episodes always give me goosebumps, starting with WCQ. Get a glimpse of what it's like on the inside  with the team/players/coaches. 

I had forgotten just how well-spoken Kyle Hiebert is.  And with all due respect, he might actually be someone who I'd prefer to be all talk and no action... 😉

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Man, people are hard on fringe players leading up to big tournaments.

More like a cheap joke at his expense.  (In retrospect, I probably should have emphasized his off-field performance, rather than taken a dig at his on-field exploits.)

On 6/16/2024 at 3:11 PM, red card said:

The third CANMNT episode of the Canada Soccer Originals series "On Guard", follows the team during Jesse Marsch's first camp - in friendlies against Holland and France.

These are so good! With how much TSN has been promoting the Copa America, I am surprised they wouldn't pick something like this up.

35 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They seem to simply be producing their own content. Which is fine too. The more content the better.

I signed up for TSN for the first time ever. I have never had cable when I had my own place and these tournaments are free to air in England (sort of, you have to pay a TV license).  I can still watch from there on a VPN. But I thought I should support people who were covering soccer here. 

Anyway, pleasantly suprising with them putting the work in.  Don't love all the hosts but can't fault the hustle and the Canada coverage has been pretty good. 

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

Tsn's coverage is okay, they're just atrocious at deciding what to cover

I'm curious to see what it means for the future of their CFL contract if Bell has moved September-onwards Saturday afternoon games (and the Grey Cup) over to CTV. Presumably that frees up more room on TSN for other content, whatever that may be. I'm guessing NFL but probably also college sports.

I think it's fine that TSN carries Euro/Copa but i'm curious how much the bids require for them to secure those rights and if it would ever be possible for OS, or even Rogers, to pry those away.

46 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Anyway, pleasantly suprising with them putting the work in.  Don't love all the hosts but can't fault the hustle and the Canada coverage has been pretty good. 

Oh, Kilbane and Caldwell are atrocious. As bad as Wheeler, though in different ways.

It's nice to see TSN does have someone on site though.

24 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I'm curious to see what it means for the future of their CFL contract if Bell has moved September-onwards Saturday afternoon games (and the Grey Cup) over to CTV. Presumably that frees up more room on TSN for other content, whatever that may be. I'm guessing NFL but probably also college sports.

I think it's fine that TSN carries Euro/Copa but i'm curious how much the bids require for them to secure those rights and if it would ever be possible for OS, or even Rogers, to pry those away.

I would think TSN will simply simulcast the CFL games. This seems more like a cost-cutting move by CTV (no need to pay for daytime content) than an attempt to free up airtime on TSN. Unless I'm missing something.

Sportsnet is still hemorrhaging money from their NHL deal for another 2 or 3 years.

24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

This seems more like a cost-cutting move by CTV (no need to pay for daytime content) than an attempt to free up airtime on TSN. Unless I'm missing something.

I guess we'll see. TSN have been getting diminishing returns from their CFL viewership for the past few years.

24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sportsnet is still hemorrhaging money from their NHL deal for another 2 or 3 years.

Indeed. They've already sold off Monday nights to Amazon. The worst contract in Canadian sports media history and it isn't especially close.

11 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I guess we'll see. TSN have been getting diminishing returns from their CFL viewership for the past few years.

They're down from about a decade ago, but up 11% last year. And still measured in the "hundreds of thousands", something we're only getting in soccer for the major tournaments. 

1 minute ago, red card said:

On the Prime show Boys, Canadian player names were used as US congress people to determine who was in favour or not for a vote.

Some writer is really tuned into Canadian soccer as even Tomori name was shown.

XnqGBCL.jpeg

The show is shot in Toronto, no? Some Canadian crew members, I assume?

13 hours ago, red card said:

On the Prime show Boys, Canadian player names were used as US congress people to determine who was in favour or not for a vote.

XnqGBCL.jpeg

OK, which one of you works on the show?

15 hours ago, red card said:

Lots of USMNT, MLS and Premier League names on there as well.

3 hours ago, RS said:

Lots of USMNT, MLS and Premier League names on there as well.

Odds are it’s just whoever the low-level crew member tasked with creating these laminated name cards happens to be a big soccer fan and thought they’d have fun with it. Probably told to think of random names to not make everyone “Smith” and “Johnson”.