CPL TV Contract

• Scott Russell and Andi Petrillo will host (I am imagining with guests tba per game)
  • Gareth Wheeler and former Canadian international Terry Dunfield Announcing
  • Nigel Reed with additional content. 

Thats a solid line up for new viewers and a good mix for everyone else. 

I was initially disappointed too with just 10 games on TV out of the 20. The more exposure the better and CBC is the best IMO. I do however wonder if this is more of a marketing ploy from One Media - Getting people across platforms and into app territory/streaming only gets viewers more comfortable with making the cross over to the OneSoccer app. While also leaving the door open for CBC or other networks to front up some cash if they want the rights for more. 

Overall again beyond expectations, so happy!

Good to see it's not Nigel Reed doing the commentary. Interesting it's only CanPL games as that's not what seemed to be suggested in the initial Mediapro press release about onesoccer. Suggests that there will be a separate deal with somebody else for the Canadian Championship or maybe that's viewed as an opportunity to get more people to sign up for the app?

Someone mentioned tsn being involved... maybe they retain coverage for that (likely later rounds?). Would explain them happily loaning dunfield and wheeler and would provide some consistency. 

Also probably works to make a bigger deal of the cup coverage separately and close to the first set of ties. Extra PR is always good. 

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

So Wheeler and Dunfield will be the CBC Commentary team.

Wheeler?  He was the MC who shouted me down at the TFC fan forum last Fall when I asked the question about the lack of Canadian starters in their lineup.  "Do you want to win or do you want Canadians to play?"  is his remark even though the question was directed at Bill Manning and Tim Bezbatchenko.   (36 minute mark)    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18tfc045.htm 

I'll now wait for his first faux pas,  "There's a pass to Cyrus Rollocks of York 9 FC, he was a TFC REJECT.   Now ball to Ryan Telfer, he is ON LOAN from TFC."

Wow I guess Wheeler will miss the TFC vs Portland home game if he'll be at the CPL opener.   

2 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Wheeler?  He was the MC who shouted me down at the TFC fan forum last Fall when I asked the question about the lack of Canadian starters in their lineup.  "Do you want to win or do you want Canadians to play?"  is his remark even though the question was directed at Bill Manning and Tim Bezbatchenko.   (36 minute mark)    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18tfc045.htm 

I'll now wait for his first faux pas,  "There's a pass to Cyrus Rollocks of York 9 FC, he was a TFC REJECT.   Now ball to Ryan Telfer, he is ON LOAN from TFC."

Wow I guess Wheeler will miss the TFC vs Portland home game if he'll be at the CPL opener.   

It’s kind f ironic isn’t it, guys who have been in my opinion unfairly critical of Canadian players now making a living off their backs! Kurt Larson and I had some huge Twitter debates about my perception of him being way too critical and under rating Canadian players, now he’s the media guy for the CPL and doing a good job from what I have seen from him!

9 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

I agree with him, TFC is about winning not developing Canadians, at least at the MLS level. leave that to the USL and Academy sides. Good to see Wheels in the booth, a well educated guy with good footy knowledge. I fully expected  to see him make the mad dash for a waiting car to be at BMO for the second half and be able to file his post game reports. Maybe MLSE would even have a waiting chopper in the parking lot across the street to take him back to BMO, you never know.

2 minutes ago, gator said:

It’s kind f ironic isn’t it, guys who have been in my opinion unfairly critical of Canadian players now making a living off their backs! Kurt Larson and I had some huge Twitter debates about my perception of him being way too critical and under rating Canadian players, now he’s the media guy for the CPL and doing a good job from what I have seen from him!

I am probably being overly generous in being fine with the crew noted above.  I guess I am just happy that the broadcasting team is on par with what has been put in place for other footy broadcasts in Canada.  I think that will give CPL an on-air atmosphere that is professional. 

From the CBC announcement October 5th will be an interesting day: 

HFX Wanderers FC vs. Valour FC Saturday, October 5 (12:30 p.m. ET)

but the CPL league schedule shows:   maybe they'll teleport between games or suddenly the women's league will be unveiled!  

SAT, OCT 5
Valour.png
Valour FC
Edmonton.png
FC Edmonton 03:30PM ET Investors Group Field
SAT, OCT 5
calgary_red.png
Cavalry FC
halifax.png
HFX Wanderers FC 06:00PM ET Spruce Meadows
SUN, OCT 6
Hamilton.png
Forge FC
york.png
York9 FC 03:30PM ET Tim Hortons Field

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Someone mentioned tsn being involved... maybe they retain coverage for that (likely later rounds?). Would explain them happily loaning dunfield and wheeler and would provide some consistency. 

Also probably works to make a bigger deal of the cup coverage separately and close to the first set of ties. Extra PR is always good. 

I would think TSN and Mediapro announce a similar relationship regarding the Voyageurs Cup

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

From the CBC announcement October 5th will be an interesting day: 

HFX Wanderers FC vs. Valour FC Saturday, October 5 (12:30 p.m. ET)

but the CPL league schedule shows:   maybe they'll teleport between games or suddenly the women's league will be unveiled!  

SAT, OCT 5
Valour.png
Valour FC
Edmonton.png
FC Edmonton 03:30PM ET Investors Group Field
SAT, OCT 5
calgary_red.png
Cavalry FC
halifax.png
HFX Wanderers FC 06:00PM ET Spruce Meadows
SUN, OCT 6
Hamilton.png
Forge FC
york.png
York9 FC 03:30PM ET Tim Hortons Field

Sorry can't seem to edit in this new forum set up.  The CBC news was updated as the October 5th game will be between Valour FC and FC Edmonton and at the original 3:30pm starting time on CBC Gem.  

1 hour ago, Nick P said:

I'm guessing they have more crews/equipment available in Toronto and Halifax 

Why would you think that? As I understand it Mediapro has a history of centralized announcing and direction with commentators and directors staying in one place and working with feeds from the stadiums.

13 hours ago, ted said:

Why would you think that? As I understand it Mediapro has a history of centralized announcing and direction with commentators and directors staying in one place and working with feeds from the stadiums.

I'm guessing he's saying that because of where the broadcast games are being played.

Halifax 6
Hamilton 4
York 4
Pacific 3
Valour 2
Cavalry 1
Edmonton 0

Are there some sort of limitations to Clarke stadium that is preventing them from getting any home games on the schedule? Less than optimal sight lines for cameras?

44 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Does anyone know if OneSoccer or CBC will be archiving games? I work a lot of evenings and weekends, and would be nice to still catch the games.

I maybe just assumed it's all on demand and archived on OneSoccer. CBC will likely be online at least a week or more. That said maybe OneSoccer want that feature to draw more into their platform.

...the end game is clearly having almost everything in terms of live content behind a OneSoccer pay wall, but people need to know about the league first and that takes time. Has anyone seen any mention of CBC paying a rights fee? If Mediapro are doing almost all of the production work there's probably not that much expense involved from their perspective.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm guessing he's saying that because of where the broadcast games are being played.

Halifax 6
Hamilton 4
York 4
Pacific 3
Valour 2
Cavalry 1
Edmonton 0

Are there some sort of limitations to Clarke stadium that is preventing them from getting any home games on the schedule? Less than optimal sight lines for cameras?

I take Halifax, and most games in the East, as related to when they want to broadcast across the country live. If you set up a lot in the West, your are getting into more prime-time sports broadcast bands in the East on weekends. 

That said, the question of Clarke is interesting, as it is hard to imagine that setting up a crane or platform would be that difficult anywhere they are broadcasting from. So I'd agree that there must be another reason there for Pacific.

Normally in broadcasting, historically, the home side got special rights benefits, though I do not think that this is the case here.

Also, we still do not know if CBC will do local blackouts, so that is another factor: perhaps Halifax is looking closest to selling out, so they do not have to worry about possible concern from the home club with tv affecting ticket sales. While Edmonton is doing worse, perhaps, or the club was more concerned about this, so they preferred not to have home games shown for that reason. All just speculation.

Re FC Edmonton's Clarke Stadium, although they did do HD broadcasts for streaming and local TV in NASL, they had no home matches shown on that league's National TV Broadcaster's CBS Sports, OWS, and Bein Sports so it may be an issue with the stadiums facilities.

The NASL's national TV broadcasters had specific requirements that had to be met for the matches to be on their networks and Clarke may not have met them.

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Watching the Leafs game right now and seeing LOTS of CPL promotion. 

Same. My brother was like "wow they got a CBC deal". 

Only thing is my brother is a real leafs fan. They need to market to the soccer fans. Time will tell.