CPL TV Contract

I am so goddamn excited about these developments. I was expecting an announcement on Monday, and when it didn't come during the day I had a crazy thought that maybe it could be a commercial or something during the hockey game. Then I quickly told myself to not get my hopes up on that, it would be way too good to be true.

And now I'm PVR'ing the game tonight in case I miss a commercial.

27 minutes ago, Kent said:

I am so goddamn excited about these developments. I was expecting an announcement on Monday, and when it didn't come during the day I had a crazy thought that maybe it could be a commercial or something during the hockey game. Then I quickly told myself to not get my hopes up on that, it would be way too good to be true.

And now I'm PVR'ing the game tonight in case I miss a commercial.

I've been thinking about that. If I had to guess I think it will be a quick announcement by Ron or someone else going out of the second intermission coverage. 

43 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I've been thinking about that. If I had to guess I think it will be a quick announcement by Ron or someone else going out of the second intermission coverage. 

I don't watch a ton of hockey. Do they have a rinkside reporter, like Kate Bierness for Raptos games, Hazel Mae for Jays games, or KJ for TFC games? That could be where it happens. I feel like that would be more likely than Ron announcing it.

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't watch a ton of hockey. Do they have a rinkside reporter, like Kate Bierness for Raptos games, Hazel Mae for Jays games, or KJ for TFC games? That could be where it happens. I feel like that would be more likely than Ron announcing it.

They have someone who will drop in to touch on injuries or trends in the game but I can't see them doing that. Who knows though!

4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I was expecting twice a week prime time Match of the Day national coverage for the entire season, and hours of national pre-game build up and analysis prior to the Championship game.

Please don't tell me it looks like that won't be happening because I will be absolutely gutted.

CBC is changing their name to "Canadian Premiere League Broadcasting Corporation." Spelled like that.

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

Just saw the add on CBC. Short and sweet, but pretty good. 

It was short, was sweet, but was good.  It just focused on the opener (that they confirmed will be broadcast live on CBC) so wondering if there will be more trickled out later tonight about other games/coverage, or if they will focus on advertising the one game at this point.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

It was short, was sweet, but was good.  It just focused on the opener (that they confirmed will be broadcast live on CBC) so wondering if there will be more trickled out later tonight about other games/coverage, or if they will focus on advertising the one game at this point.  

I feel like in addition to the specific game, it implied that the league in general would be on CBC... but yeah, more specificity will certainly be upcoming in some press release I’d imagine. 

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not sure if the information in this tweet has been confirmed:

and whether that would include Canadian Championship games.

Just 10 games on TV! That's a bummer, although this info isn't officially confirmed, although hard to make that up. What's CBC's GEM digital platform? Unfamiliar with it 

Anyhow great to see that they will have that many cameras for each game, that Canada-French Guyana match was a glimpse as to what expect and had great angles, repetition

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I am unsure how to interpret this.  If people are checking out highlights on youtube (which is how I read it) it may be because they are NOT subscribing to DAZN and still want to see the highlights.  That doesn't seem like a glowing endorsement of the subscription business model.  And since the highlights don't appear on traditional broadcasters as much (unlike other highlights which repeat endlessly) Youtube is the easiest way to see them for many people.  Given that many many people would view other highlights by turning on Sportscentre or some other sports news/highlights show, I don't see how getting comparable viewing numbers for UCL (where, again,  YT is the most convenient source in the absence of TV coverage) is a positive sign.  And depending how those 30,000 were counted (individual users, or far less users watching a few different game-specific highlight packages?) it may be even more modest.  I don't think anyone expected Canadian footy fans to completely forget that UCL existed once it went to paid streaming.  It is more that it will stop getting new viewers excited about it because the casual exposure doesn't happen.   

Am I misinterpreting this? 

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/onesoccer-the-new-home-of-canadian-soccer

...OneSoccer will soon be available on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, where news, photos, interviews, exclusive content, game-day clips and other content will be posted continually, to keep fans in constant touch with the league and their clubs, and to bring the players, coaches and home cities closer to fans new and old...

I really hope that OneSoccer goes further than just Chromecast and Apple AirPlay. These work but in my opinion are not optimal. DAZN provides an app for most smart TVs (AppleTV, AndroidTV, WebOS) and because of this provide a great user experience. Without the clean user experience some viewers that are used to using a cable box and flicking channels may watch less due to being unfamiliar experience. CanPL needs eyes on the matches to increase sponsorship and help improve the league.