CPL TV Contract

34 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

For those of us who were in the stadium, how did the CBC Sports and One Soccer coverage look? Professional-looking production value to match this 4K cameras we keep hearing about? 

CBC's coverage was great. I opted to watch them hoping that they get some solid numbers and choose to host more games in the future. I had some friends over so I didn't really hear their commentary start to finish, the the product certainly looked professional!

49 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

For those of us who were in the stadium, how did the CBC Sports and One Soccer coverage look? Professional-looking production value to match this 4K cameras we keep hearing about? 

I thought it was great. Commentary was as good as what were used to ( TFC and National team games) Craig Forrest at the break was a bonus. 

Just want to comment when I sent in a query as I thought I had not been properly signed up for broadcasts by One Soccer, they came back with a reply, and a code, numbered 500 and something. I do not know if that means 500 queries answered, suppose so--but made me curious about how many have signed up so far.

Looks like lots of hiccups to get through. The menu on the mobile app isnt great to navigate. 

I thought the game would be instantly available or least with an hour be able to watch back on demand. Annoying you couldnt pause the live stream for too long without it skipping ahead either.

I am sure these will come or hope they will. 

As for the coverege I liked it. There were few weird fuzzy replay shots but I loved their presentation to be honest. Also some great shots behind the goal for Inghams saves. Loved the pre game shots and touch line shots for coaching staff.

presentation was above average for canadian soccer. editing was a little weird in the first half but 2nd half was solid. looked great and sounded great. no weird replays like you get in mls that i could see. studio set wasn't as grand but who cares this was a solid show. 8/10

hope every game is like this

I thought the camera direction was a vast improvement over the Canada-French Guyana match but I guess a different crew would have been used. In terms of the play by play Dunfield did his usual solid job with the colour (except for not pronouncing Ingham's name correctly) but the regular misidentification by Wheeler was a bit embarrassing, especially on the Telfer goal. "Cyrus Rollocks, a name that will live in CPL history." Whoops! 

14 hours ago, Copes said:

I honestly don't mind the pricing. I'm in St. John's, Newfoundland - yet I picked up season tickets for Halifax (the city I grew up around, and a place I visit a few times a year). 

Here is my CPL spend:

• $199 for HFX Season Tickets (which includes a jersey)
  • $50 for streaming service (season ticket discount) allowing me to watch every single league game

TOTAL: $249 

I can also sell each ticket I don't use for $20, which I'll get back.

Alternatively, if I didn't buy the season tickets:

• $119 for a jersey
  • $30 for each game I attend (likely 3)
  • $75 for streaming service

TOTAL: $284

I can't help but feel like the league has been providing value to supporters left, right, and centre. I'm incredibly impressed, as a HFX fan, of how supporting the team from away makes financial sense. I also think the streaming service is pretty damn affordable. If people don't want the extra content, you're probably looking at paying for what? 5 or 6 months, after factoring in the free month? That's $50 or $60 to watch every game for the entire first season of the league. Less than a buck a game. 

I think its hard to argue the pricing is off unless you're a casual fan. Which is fine, there are 20 free games on CBC and beyond that if you really want to catch a match for less than the price of a ticket to a movie and snag a 24-hour pass. That's an option they really didn't have to include. 

I know HFX is one of the cheaper teams, but holy crap am I satisfied with the value that the league has provided. No complaints at all from me!

I totally agree! I will miss the first four matches of my PFC tickets, but I gave the opener to my sister and nephew, my tickets for Game 2 sold, and even if I just wasted the first four tickets and got no perks, I would still be just about breaking even on the single game price of the remaining ten games.

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

CBC "coverage" (did mediapro "produce" it?) was decent, just like a regular MNT match, but certainly nothing special. It definitely did not compare favourably to a normal EPL broadcast (which is perhaps to be expected, although all the hype had me hoping for better).

You give a bag of hammers a bad name.

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I thought the camera direction was a vast improvement over the Canada-French Guyana match but I guess a different crew would have been used. In terms of the play by play Dunfield did his usual solid job with the colour (except for not pronouncing Ingham's name correctly) but the regular misidentification by Wheeler was a bit embarrassing, especially on the Telfer goal. "Cyrus Rollocks, a name that will live in CPL history." Whoops! 

Dunfield also made a grave error by saying that Gasparotto came up through the 'Rangers Celtic' system.

I just watched the match on One since I was at the stadium. Biggest mistake was Wheeler getting the name wrong.

Otherwise, there was no cringeworthy moments that you regularly see on TSN and Sportsnet because they have people who have apply their North American pro sports experience coverage experience not realizing football can't be covered the same. This looked like people who know football producing football for tv.

Replays were quick to start while TSN takes a bit too long getting into replays which is one of the reasons why they miss live action too often. No getting caught up in close ups of players while the action is going on. No aimless shots of the crowds sitting on their hands. On field camera guys were also in the right place at the right time. They caught the Bekker elbow while it's 50/50 that TSN would have missed it. Camera angles behind the net were excellent.

Not many offsides to judge camera angles & replays as that is another major flaw in North American produced coverage. Graphics were clean and minimalist. Readable except for when stats shown on bottom left. Used modern colour palette a la Euro networks rather than the standard blue, red or black used by TSN and Sportsnet. 

One's studio looked a bit dark with the blue used. Bunbury & Larson were excellent. Rahman needs more polishing up. Dunfield was better than doing MLS as he gushes over his employer's players way too much. Wheeler was okay. A little less talking from both would help. 

Edited by red card

So whats the story with TSN? No mention anywhere about the CPL. Is it as simple as theyre a pay to play platform and unless they're partnered with a property theyre going to act like it doesnt exist?

Does TSN and Bell mobility own 37% of MLSE? Does ESPN own a portion of TSN? ESPNFC has news and notes from every corner of the football world but they also suspiciously made not mention of CPL. TSN never mentions NBL Canada, hasnt mentioned the CEBL league even though they had a draft and seem to be doing things very professionally. TSN almost never mentions USports. Who's been feeding us NHL expansion in Canada is "impossible" line for years and even the Jets happened out of the blue and they're one of the most profitable teams in the league. How many opportunities have been missed? How much talent do we export? What kind of economic growth has been surpressed or never realized in this country, especially outside of the large urban areas?

Its always just kinda been something that makes you go hmmmm but their silence on the opening of the CPL was a total disgrace. I get it, the big american old boys dont want to loose market share but come on, there's room for everyone and Canadians are interested in Canadians. Isnt that fare to say?

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So whats the story with TSN? No mention anywhere about the CPL. Is it as simple as theyre a pay to play platform and unless they're partnered with a property theyre going to act like it doesnt exist?

Does TSN and Bell mobility own 37% of MLSE? Does ESPN own a portion of TSN? ESPNFC has news and notes from every corner of the football world but they also suspiciously made not mention of CPL. TSN never mentions NBL Canada, hasnt mentioned the CEBL league even though they had a draft and seem to be doing things very professionally. TSN almost never mentions USports. Who's been feeding us NHL expansion in Canada is "impossible" line for years and even the Jets happened out of the blue and they're one of the most profitable teams in the league. How many opportunities have been missed? How much talent do we export? What kind of economic growth has been surpressed or never realized in this country, especially outside of the large urban areas?

Its always just kinda been something that makes you go hmmmm but their silence on the opening of the CPL was a total disgrace. I get it, the big american old boys dont want to loose market share but come on, there's room for everyone and Canadians are interested in Canadians. Isnt that fare to say?

They definitely mentioned it on the TFC broadcast yesterday and I think they even showed highlights at halftime but I can’t remember. 

24 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think it is a total disgrace especially as TSN 1150 is Hamilton Sport's Radio they should have had at least 1 article on it on the website but no mention at all. At least Sportsnet has a CPL section thanks to John Molinaro so he is creating content at least.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Did that make you feel better about yourself? I hope so. There are people you can talk to who will help you with your self esteem you know.

Lmfao it always makes me feel better when I get to tell a mental midget how I feel. Thank you for the opportunity and keep making dumbass comments so I can tell you how I feel some more.

2 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Lmfao it always makes me feel better when I get to tell a mental midget how I feel. Thank you for the opportunity and keep making dumbass comments so I can tell you how I feel some more.

Both of you guys cut this out.

People have to step on the getting along front on Forum Ver. 8.0 or whatever you might call this.

Good things are happening. 

3 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Good things ARE happening...some people are just blind to it. I'll try to behave but make no promises lol

I know. 

The last year has left me truly bewildered at the negativity and the work people go to find something to complain about. Like they work at it. 

The problem is too much of people's 'legitimacy' so to speak is wrapped up in being negative and tearing things down.  When something good comes along, they don't know how to be any other way.  

I spent too long acting like that and am guilty of it myself. 

10 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

So no one has actually got an official answer to the question of what does a "one season" subscription mean?

I've asked OneSoccer, via the "contact" page, and will post if I get a reply, but just wondering if anyone else knows the answer.

The answer I got:

This service covers 365 days of streaming, since the day you subscribe until the same date next year.

Edited by A_Gagne

wonder what they'll be doing for the other 6 months in addition to the sporadic national team games. metrostars and masl does run most of the cpl off season and i imagine there could be something like a super cup of the cpl and canchamp winners or something like eredivisie or primeira liga. it'll be interesting to see

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Peter Shaad mentioned it during the Whitecaps game