CPL TV Contract

2 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

At the York 9 FC reveal owner Preban Ganzhorn answered me that 'One Soccer' is the content provider.  All games are on that app.  

He says there will also be over the air broadcasts (but he wouldn't say who/how many will be providing those). 

He also said there will be better coverage right away on L1O games.  I'm used to watching camera on a pole production and doubted there'd be eight camera angles for a crowd of 50 in attendance...maybe once a week? I said...We left it at that.  

that's great news and hope it's true.

also if over the air does happen i acknowledge it's more unlikely one overtakes dazn in user numbers.

13 minutes ago, matty said:

the most noted source (meltzer) combines us and canadian figures in his numbers for boxing and mma. so the one number (the low watch rate for major events) is a combo while the user number is assumed. that said, dazn was able to top the free app chart in january so i hope to see another number soon but it likely won't happen till we get another money fight as no other sport has seen a report on numbers come out.

But you're comparing 2nd tier boxing and MMA viewership and extrapolating numbers from it.

For a better discussion, the same Athletic article says they're hoping that of the average EPL viewership of 100-150k they're aiming for 1/3, so about 30-50k.  That's at a price of $20/month (or $12.50 for an annual subscription) while being able to offer an immensely bigger package than One Soccer can.  Conversion to streaming is a tough sell.

And of course, this all assumes that people don't just start finding illegal streams and watching for free.

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

But you're comparing 2nd tier boxing and MMA viewership and extrapolating numbers from it.

For a better discussion, the same Athletic article says they're hoping that of the average EPL viewership of 100-150k they're aiming for 1/3, so about 30-50k.  That's at a price of $20/month (or $12.50 for an annual subscription) while being able to offer an immensely bigger package than One Soccer can.  Conversion to streaming is a tough sell.

And of course, this all assumes that people don't just start finding illegal streams and watching for free.

they're paying some boxers upwards for $400m. it's hardy 2nd tier. joshua is also the top rated heavyweight and he's signed to dazn

regarding epl, it seems likely it's their plan to counter the drought they seem face post nfl season in canada. it seems doable but it is a tough sell as you said. if a cpl deal is offered i think they could go over if it was exclusive but rr is noting over the air so i think it's even less likely now.

Edited by matty

2 minutes ago, matty said:

they're paying some boxers upwards for $400m. it's hardy 2nd tier

But that's not just for the US and Canada. That cost is spread out over several countries worldwide.

Regardless, NFL and Champions League are bigger drivers for subscriptions than boxing/MMA in Canada, and I'd be willing to bet EPL will be as well. So Meltzer's numbers are missing a huge chunk of the subscriber base.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

regarding epl, it seems likely it's their plan to counter the drought they seem face post nfl season in canada. it seems doable but it is a tough sell as you said. if a cpl deal is offered i think they could go over if it was exclusive but rr is noting over the air so i think it's even less likely now.

EPL is just the latest in a growing line of big European soccer rights they've gobbled up. It doesn't really have too much to do with the NFL off-season "drought" but is another step toward being the main home of soccer in Canada.

57 minutes ago, RS said:

But that's not just for the US and Canada. That cost is spread out over several countries worldwide.

Regardless, NFL and Champions League are bigger drivers for subscriptions than boxing/MMA in Canada, and I'd be willing to bet EPL will be as well. So Meltzer's numbers are missing a huge chunk of the subscriber base.

EPL is just the latest in a growing line of big European soccer rights they've gobbled up. It doesn't really have too much to do with the NFL off-season "drought" but is another step toward being the main home of soccer in Canada.

i know i'm just saying they're paying those guys that much because it was called 2nd tier boxing. just was countering that. also boxing is big, i know it's a different crowd but big fights still do well over 500k buys. dazn seems to wanna use boxing as a big event thing every few months. also meltzer's comment wasn't about just the boxing/mma subscriber count.

just regarding that, there's a lot of bad dazn numbers floating around. most of the bad ones are from haters (like the claim dazn lost 1/3 of italian users). meltzer is big on dazn and believes it's the future.

nfl is the biggest by far in canada but there is a massive drop when the season ends (at least in their google trends, which are probably the only public numbers we have). the taking of epl isn't to become the home of soccer in canada, it's about having a second regular big draw, the same way boxing is. epl regularly outdid cl numbers when they were published, having it is likely meant to have more board appeal for the year long commitments. i do think they want the soccer market here but i do think they see epl as a different animal to the rest and i wouldn't be shocked if they market it in a similar way to the nfl

just to close this debate (cause dazn is out of the picture for cpl). i do agree it's highly unlikely especially if cpl is not exclusive. a lot of my wonder was based on the idea that it would be an exclusive

Edited by matty

3 hours ago, matty said:

also if over the air does happen i acknowledge it's more unlikely one overtakes dazn in user numbers.

Can they do a game of the week when that could take away between a quarter to a third of the regular season games from their paid subscription app? Might be pushing it a bit too far. The obvious ones to do over the air would be the league opener and the championship game at the end.

12 hours ago, matty said:

not really true. you don't get stuff like hbo, fx, most sports, news, yes you can get services to get those but they're often cheaper with cable. also most of the shows people talk about are shows made for traditional tv outlets that stream after their original run on streaming sites, so GoT, handmaids tale, rick and morty, and drag race fans use cable to follow those shows unless they bootleg it. you also get a lot of stuff you don't watch or have no interest in watching. it's weird but netflix might hit a wall once family guy and friends are gone and the true crime trend dies. they can't compete with like news or youtube (youtube is god btw). they spend $8billion on content and barely make a profit.

spotify is better but they're at war with apple so who knows where that will go. they're buying podcast networks so they could end up with a bland pallet like netflix.

also were like 5 years from needing to spend more for streams than cable (you know when everyone pulls their content from netflix and apple and amazon are at war over producing live content).

we very well could enter an age where services like shudder who are focused take over.....also radio is still the biggest game in town and streams don't seem to be killing it.

anyways enough of that. let's talk about one soccer and how it's already better than dazn

You still have many advantages with the streaming services.

A) No (or few) commercials/advertisements.

b) Easier to cancel as they are monthly subscriptions with no commitments. 

c) You can pick and choose what content you want.  You don't need to buy every single streaming service available.  With cable, you have to buy a bunch of channels to get the one you want.

Honestly I am pumped for the streaming service. I can't afford a full cable tv package. I love DAZN but even that is 20 a month. I would have paid that for CPL coverage, but now all I need is the one subscription. I'm looking for as cheap as possible so it works for me. A huge bonus is the streaming of national team games, lately I have had to go out to a pub to watch.

I am also looking forward to well produced L1O games. I will definitely be watching those. Hopefully they can get PLSQ soon too.

12 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Meh, this stuff doesn't really bother me as long as it's a decent announcer. Personally I'm a bit more interested on the technical side of things.  ie Is mediaPro licensing existing streaming tech?...or are this one beginning of them getting into the streaming game themselves with their own technology and we are the beta testers?...

Because if it's the latter it could be a rough first season for us viewers at home.

Edited by mpg_29

Press release on OneSoccer from MediaPRO:

https://imaginanews.mediapro.es/rf/repo/OneSoccer_Press Release ENG.pdf

MEDIAPRO, the media partner of Canadian Soccer Business and the Canadian Premier League, is set to launch OneSoccer, a 24/7 LIVE and on-demand streaming channel that will become the new home of Canadian soccer.

OneSoccer will carry live coverage of all 98 Canadian Premier League matches (plus the final), including the much-anticipated opening game on April 27th between Forge FC and York9 FC at Hamilton’s Tim Hortons Field. It will also show all home matches of the Canada Soccer’s Women’s and Men’s National Teams and all 24 matches of the 2019 Canadian Championship involving all professional soccer teams in Canada, with a selection of key matches to be simulcast on a national linear broadcaster. From 2020, OneSoccer will also air a selection of League1 Ontario women’s and men’s games.

OneSoccer will also air a wide range of complementary programming, from pre- and postmatch highlights, daily news programs, mid-week magazine shows, interviews, features and other formats, expanding the channel’s offering to cable and satellite television platforms in the near future. Further information on the OneSoccer brand and its features is available on onesoccer.ca

OneSoccer will soon be available on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, where news, photos, interviews, exclusive content, game-day clips and other content will be posted continually, to keep fans in constant touch with the league and their clubs, and to bring the players, coaches and home cities closer to fans new and old.

Further details regarding the live coverage of a selection of CPL and Championship games on a national broadcaster will be in the coming days.

Edited by mpg_29

3 hours ago, YTZ said:

You still have many advantages with the streaming services.

A) No (or few) commercials/advertisements.

b) Easier to cancel as they are monthly subscriptions with no commitments. 

c) You can pick and choose what content you want.  You don't need to buy every single streaming service available.  With cable, you have to buy a bunch of channels to get the one you want.

it's a changing game . ads are becoming more common (look at podcasting), the fee thing is true but more and more are pushing 1 year commitments (dazn, shudder).

regarding channels tv is likely going to shift to more a la carte model while streaming is becoming more fractured. popular stuff on one service (netflix) is being moved out soon (friends, family guy, marvel, dr who) is being shifted to several new services.

it's gonna be interesting to see what happens

Very early days yet, how MediaPro handles match commentary in the future may be very different than what we'll see at the launch.  Using existing infrastructure doesn't mean there isn't a program (which is quite different) continuing to develop out-of-sight.

Increasing Canada's media pool with this league was/is a hopeful benefit.  Same as coaching and officiating quality & quantity.  Nowhere near the top of the priority latter though.

Official Onesoccer press release:

...One Soccer will carry live coverage of all 98 Canadian Premier League matches (plus the final), including the much-anticipated opening game on April 27th between Forge FC and York 9 FC at Hamilton’s Tim Hortons Field. It will also show all home matches of the Canada Soccer’s Women’s and Men’s National Teams and all 24 matches of the 2019 Canadian Championship involving all professional soccer teams in Canada, with a selection of key matches to be simulcast on a national linear broadcaster. From 2020, OneSoccer will also air a selection of League1Ontario women’s and men’s games...

That phrasing seems to hint at it possibly only being CMNT, CWNT and Voyageurs Cup games that get onto a "national linear broadcaster". Time will tell.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...One Soccer will carry live coverage of all 98 Canadian Premier League matches (plus the final), including the much-anticipated opening game on April 27th between Forge FC and York 9 FC at Hamilton’s Tim Hortons Field. It will also show all home matches of the Canada Soccer’s Women’s and Men’s National Teams and all 24 matches of the 2019 Canadian Championship involving all professional soccer teams in Canada, with a selection of key matches to be simulcast on a national linear broadcaster. From 2020, OneSoccer will also air a selection of League1Ontario women’s and men’s games...

That phrasing seems to hint at it possibly only being CMNT, CWNT and Voyageurs Cup games that get onto a "national linear broadcaster". Time will tell.

^^See my post above. They further go on to say that CPL are included in that selection for TV.

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

As @mpg_29 said, you have to read the whole press release.

"Further details regarding the live coverage of a selection of CPL and Championship games on a national broadcaster will be in the coming days."

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The only way to draw that inference is by assuming that none of the CPL matches are "key matches", which is pretty hard to justify.

Edited by dsqpr