CPL TV Contract

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

...To see the other 78 league games + Canadian Championship, they will have to pay...

https://imaginanews.mediapro.es/rf/repo/OneSoccer_Press Release ENG.pdf

Further details regarding the live coverage of a selection of CPL and Championship games on a national broadcaster will be in the coming days.

The One Soccer press release from Mediapro made it sound like Canadian Championship games would be shown live on a national broadcaster. Up to twelve of those will involve MLS teams.

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Didn't know the Gem price was only for the premium.  Good to know that the CBC-based content would be freely accessible.  That could change at some point, but as a publicly funded body CBC has to be careful about levying additional user fees. 

Yeah they have a sizeable amount of content on there too, I was surprised.  Just another reason to cut cable. 

Its similar in the UK with the BBC iPlayer which is immense if you live in the UK, every channel has their own. So much content. Cable companies have been walking dead for years just scratching to stay alive and soak up more dollars. They are all rightly moving to an amalgamation of TV and internet and streaming. It just seems like such a long overdue process but Its hard getting the consistency and quality given how big the country is. 

I do wonder how this announcement (both CBC and One Soccer) coming now is quite late, and how will it affect viewership in general? For TV and Streaming 

with 2 weeks left to the season, gives little time for fans as the notice is so close to when the first game is. Maybe it would had a bigger affect for more casual and mainstream fans for the tv but for streaming, can you imagine how many people would have signed up by now to one soccer should it have been announced like 3 months ago

Oh well, Hope they make a lot of noise and promote that first game like crazy 

Edited by Blackjack15

2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I do wonder how this announcement (both CBC and One Soccer) coming now is quite late, and how will it affect viewership in general? For TV and Streaming 

with 2 weeks left to the season, gives little time for fans as the notice is so close to when the first game is. Maybe it would had a bigger affect for more casual and mainstream fans for the tv but for streaming, can you imagine how many people would have signed up by now to one soccer should it have been announced like 3 months ago

Oh well, Hope they make a lot of noise and promote that first game like crazy 

i suspect media pro came somewhat late (like december) and threw off some early plans

Putting some games on mainstream TV is a good thing if this is indeed the case. Moreover, if they are going to have 20 games on the CBC on regular TV as opposed to the CBC streaming service then this is probably the best news so far when it comes to the CPL. Yes I know everybody is supposedly cutting the cord and streaming everything they keep telling us , but don’t fool yourself the majority of people are still watching TV the old fashion way for now . Therefore, if they do put 20 games on regular TV on CBC the exposure it will give the league will be immense. Let’s be honest the vast majority of sports fans in Canada still have no clue what the CPL is . Putting games on the CBC will make a lot of sports fans in Canada aware of the CPL. 

CBC is still by far the most accessible TV station in Canada.  If there’s 20 CPL games on CBC they may even outdraw the MLS on TSN games to be honest.

I wonder which broadcaster is getting the Canadian Championship.  That would also be good on CBC to add exposure to the league.

I’m pretty excited to see the details in the announcement.

It was in the One Soccer press release (see above) that a selection of CanPL and Championship games would be shown live by a national broadcaster, so this isn't necessarily a CanPL vs MLS thing but could turn out to be an example of where the success of the latter in carving out a niche audience from coast-to-coast in numbers high enough to interest national broadcasters is being used to help leverage coverage for the former. Up to 12 games involving MLS teams are part of the package that CSB signed over to Mediapro.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It was in the One Soccer press release (see above) that a selection of CanPL and Championship games would be shown live by a national broadcaster, so this isn't necessarily a CanPL vs MLS thing but could turn out to be an example of where the success of the latter in carving out a niche audience from coast-to-coast in numbers high enough to interest national broadcasters is being used to help leverage coverage for the former. Up to 12 games involving MLS teams are part of the package that CSB signed over to Mediapro.

Just correcting your math. It's 10 games maximum involving MLS teams. Montreal and Vancouver are starting out in the "quarter-final-esque" round, so that's 2 games each for them in that round so 4 total. Then if at least one of them advances they will be in one semi final while TFC are in the other, so that's 4 more games bringing the total to 8. Then if at least one MLS team advances to the final it's 2 more games to bring the total to 10.

And for anyone curious, it is technically possible to have all 10 of those MLS team games playing against CPL opposition. That would require a CPL team beating Ottawa Fury, a CPL team beating one of Montreal or Vancouver in the "quarter-final-esque" round, and a CPL team beating an MLS team in the semi final round. It's a very long shot for all that to happen, but it's a technical possibility.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

CBC is still by far the most accessible TV station in Canada.  If there’s 20 CPL games on CBC they may even outdraw the MLS on TSN games to be honest.

I wonder which broadcaster is getting the Canadian Championship.  That would also be good on CBC to add exposure to the league.

I’m pretty excited to see the details in the announcement.

Be funny if it was CBC News Net and they apply the Radio 2 model to News Net and make it sports/music videos from like 12-12 and don't cover any major news events.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Zap2it.com hasn't changed yet so their CBC channels for that time show 'Surviving The Fundy Footpath' at 1pm and 'Free Reins' at 2pm.

Fundy was originally broadcast on Feb 7/18 and Reins on Feb 22/18  

With the guidance of three seasoned hikers, novice Bruce Persuad attempts the Fundy Footpath, one of Canada's toughest hikes.

A farm owner in Nova Scotia offers a brand of horse therapy to special needs children. 

Oh oh!  I can see some grumpy grandpa in the east with a preprinted TV guide rampaging about eastern Canadian culture being pushed aside by Ontario teams' sports!  Gramps,  HFX Wanderers will be on within a few weeks!  

10 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Also...

That's big news to announce in a random reply on Twitter. You'd think they'd get an article up on CPL's website if that's the case. People are scrambling trying to figure this out.

17 minutes ago, Copes said:

That's big news to announce in a random reply on Twitter. You'd think they'd get an article up on CPL's website if that's the case. People are scrambling trying to figure this out.

yea the announcement is weird and supports the whole "mediapro deal was a late development" idea somewhat. still freaking awesome

49 minutes ago, Copes said:

They mentioned it a couple times so I think it may just be a tacit approach to appease those getting frustrated with an official announcement coming tonight to coincide with the Leafs game or maybe tomorrow?

So with MediaPro reaching a deal to broadcast a good chunk of the CPL season what does this mean for the NTs? I could imagine CBC wanting to be involved with all things CanWNT but it seems unlikely that they would preempt regular programming for random midweek CNL or GC games. Hopefully they're able to secure a more substantial deal with TSN which involves some sort of term. 

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

They mentioned it a couple times so I think it may just be a tacit approach to appease those getting frustrated with an official announcement coming tonight to coincide with the Leafs game or maybe tomorrow?

Makes sense.  For the relatively small number of die-hard CPL followers, this is a bit of a bone to toss out in a fairly benign way.  Then, assuming the Leafs announcement tonight is true, the big splash comes immediately following and should gain national attention.