CPL TV Contract

If I had a local team I supported, then $60 would be a no-brainer.

But $10 a month for a casual viewer seems a bit steep, with no other content. Particularly as the promised "any device" is now only laptops, and telephones (Android and Apple). They don't seem to support any streaming TV devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, or other Smart TV formats.

I'll be getting my fix on CBC - particularly with CBC Gem now available on the Amazon Fire Stick.

I think $10 per month is steep.  Considering we know 20 games are free already and really how many home games are the national teams going to play at home in one year?  I also don’t care for woman’s football so those games are not a factor.

To compare, I have ESPN + which is like the Netflix of sports and it only costs me $5 US per month (about 6.50ish Canadian).

I'm in a dilemma.  I want to support this league but my money is hard earned and I don’t know if I should make this purchase.

Maybe someone here can convince me?

So you're not really a doctor?☺️

It's only $6.25/month if you pay it for a year - less in US$. 

ESPN+ is a outlier in pricing. It has only 2 million subscribers despite the lowball price. It's losing money for Disney but within a big corp like them, a million or two lost for now doesn't matter. So not a fair comparison with Mediapro and Canada dynamics.

ESPN+ is usually panned by US mainstream sports followers but great for people like us who follow niche leagues and/or sports. For ESPN, it's a lot of overflow content that they have rights to but don't have time to air live on their cable channels which means incremental costs aren't huge.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

So you're not really a doctor?☺️

It's only $6.25/month if you pay it for a year - less in US$. 

ESPN+ is a outlier in pricing. It has only 2 million subscribers despite the lowball price. It's losing money for Disney but within a big corp like them, a million or two lost for now doesn't matter. So not a fair comparison with Mediapro and Canada dynamics.

ESPN+ is usually panned by US mainstream sports followers but great for people like us who follow niche leagues and/or sports. For ESPN, it's a lot of overflow content that they have rights to but don't have time to air live on their cable channels which means incremental costs aren't huge.

The reason I compare it to ESPN + is because it has all MLS games.  But I'll accept your argument that its intended for the US market so its not really comparable.  So let's compare it with DAZN Canada.  DAZN is 20/month or 150/ year.  Twice as much as One Soccer.  DAZN has a hell of a lot more than twice as much content.

But really, who am I kidding, Im probably going to buck up and pay the $75 because, hey, I am a Dr. after all.

But wait....no, I'm actually not a Dr.

My initial reaction seeing the pricing made me think, why bother get a year at $75. You can have a month free to get you through May, then pay $10 for June, July, August, September and October to get you through the season and there you go, $50, same price as the "special" pricing for club members. But on second thought, I just want to pay for the year and forget about it and support the league as much as possible, and hope my wife doesn't notice and question me on the price.

But, I'm having second thoughts. The lack of details I'm able to find is bothering me. The article on the CPL website is blank, and OneSoccer doesn't seem to tell us much of anything. The free month is only listed if you are subscribing monthly. When does the "season" start and end. Does the season end just before the start of next CPL season? Or is it 12 months from sign up? If it's 12 months, then it makes sense to get the free month first, then the 12 months. But if it's $75 to get you to the end of March or April of 2020 (regardless of when you sign up for it), then the free month only makes sense if you are unsure about your commitment.

And I think I've found my answer in the help section of one soccer's website. "a subscription to watch the Spring Season and the Fall Season, including the grand finale, for $74.99."

So if that's true and it runs until the end of October, then it's MORE expensive per month to get the season subscription. That makes no sense. Looks like I'm starting with the free month and going into a monthly until they explain how it's a good deal to get a season subscription.

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

But $10 a month for a casual viewer seems a bit steep, with no other content. Particularly as the promised "any device" is now only laptops, and telephones (Android and Apple). They don't seem to support any streaming TV devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, or other Smart TV formats.

I'll be getting my fix on CBC - particularly with CBC Gem now available on the Amazon Fire Stick.

Think you can sideload Android apps to the firestick so it should work on that, as well as Android TV box's.

Hopefully they add support for Apple TV and Roku during the season as well as Xbox One and PS4.

Edited by CDNFootballer

Pity it didn't get picked up by DAZN because I'm already into that but $50 for 6 months of league footie, plus domestic NT fixtures AND V's Cup, either of which may or may not be on the usual channels, is kind of hard to argue against.  That's like 30 cents a day.  There isn't even a "cent" symbol on my keyboard.   It's a lower case c with a vertical strike through it for those who aren't familiar.

Not trying to be an advert or anything but if 30 cents a day buys me the insurance that will let me watch the less than main-stream football that I want to, well that isn't even a question.   

Just tell me when I can watch it through my Playstation.  REALLY make my day.   

I’m just waiting for my promo code from York 9 to sign up. As soon as I have it, I’m in. I don’t know whether this service is any good, but it’s $50/yr. Most people spend more than that to go out for a night, never mind entertainment for a year. I also think it’s very important to support our new league, and it’s TV / app viability is a huge part of that. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

But, I'm having second thoughts. The lack of details I'm able to find is bothering me. The article on the CPL website is blank, and OneSoccer doesn't seem to tell us much of anything. The free month is only listed if you are subscribing monthly. When does the "season" start and end. Does the season end just before the start of next CPL season? Or is it 12 months from sign up? If it's 12 months, then it makes sense to get the free month first, then the 12 months. But if it's $75 to get you to the end of March or April of 2020 (regardless of when you sign up for it), then the free month only makes sense if you are unsure about your commitment.

And I think I've found my answer in the help section of one soccer's website. "a subscription to watch the Spring Season and the Fall Season, including the grand finale, for $74.99."

So if that's true and it runs until the end of October, then it's MORE expensive per month to get the season subscription. That makes no sense. Looks like I'm starting with the free month and going into a monthly until they explain how it's a good deal to get a season subscription.

I will still grab a subscription this year, but this sort of confusion is precisely why we were clamouring for details long before the day prior to kick off.  I am sure it is massively difficult to get everything right when launching a new league, but this seems like a fairly big part of the equation.  Then again, they may be (rightly) thinking that in the first year, most people will get broadcast access via CBC and Gem, with year 1 of OneSoccer being a bit of a pilot and fodder for the hardcores.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yeah surely that cant be right! the season pass must be annual from now until next march/April. Surely!

With the free month and season ending in October you only need to pay 5 months at 9.99 = 49.95. vs 74.95. I'm certainly in the free month camp and see what happens. 

I cant get past the choose a club though on the sign up. I don't have one lol 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah I can't see why paying for a full year is worth it. I mean how often does Canada have home games from November to March to make it worth taking a full year rather than month to month.  They starting adding World Cup qualifiers from Europe  etc.  than I'm in otherwise month to month is better. There is no international calendar even for the months of Dec. Jan. and Feb.  so during that time there will be zero new content on the site.

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Think you can sideload Android apps to the firestick so it should work on that

Given how flakey and unstable my Firestick is with only a handful of mainstream apps (compared to how stable my Roku is with 150+ channels) the last thing I'm doing is getting into side-loading!

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m just waiting for my promo code from York 9 to sign up. As soon as I have it, I’m in. I don’t know whether this service is any good, but it’s $50/yr. Most people spend more than that to go out for a night, never mind entertainment for a year. I also think it’s very important to support our new league, and it’s TV / app viability is a huge part of that. 

Did you get the $50 price? I got the code from Pacific but was never prompted to enter it and I'm pretty sure I paid $75.

3 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Did you get the $50 price? I got the code from Pacific but was never prompted to enter it and I'm pretty sure I paid $75.

I'm not a season ticket holder so I don't have a code, but there is a "Got a promo code?" button at the top of the page when you are selecting which package you want. It's pretty missable. I only saw it because I was scouring for the info I mentioned above. This is on a desktop, not sure if it's different on mobile.

14 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Same boat... I just emailed the app and the club to (hopefully) get a refund for the amount of the discount. 

I'm in for $49.99.  I was sent an e-mail and it had the promotion code.  

The content is cycling through the footage of the CPL Open Trials city to city but it's better than a test pattern.  

The schedule needs work as they have next Saturday's games on Thursday but their editing could change by the hour.  

I'm signing out because I have a long early drive tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm not a season ticket holder so I don't have a code, but there is a "Got a promo code?" button at the top of the page when you are selecting which package you want. It's pretty missable. I only saw it because I was scouring for the info I mentioned above. This is on a desktop, not sure if it's different on mobile.

I did hit that button but it didn't do anything. At least I think I did. :)

21 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

https://canpl.ca/article/onesoccer-announces-pricing-release-date-information

Soccer fans around the world will have access to affordable coverage of more than 130 matches this year, including pre- and post-match analysis and half times shows around every match for $9.99 a month after a free one-month trial. Other pricing options include $5.99 for a 24-hour pass and for as little as $6.25/month with a $74.99 yearly pass. As a value-added offer all Canadian Premier season ticket holders will be able to subscribe for a special rate of $49.99 per year.

The app is also available for download however it only prompts a sign in screen. I don't see anyway of actually signing up. Perhaps it will be available tomorrow at 12pm when the channel actually launches.

I think by around the world they mean Canada, US and Europe as I have tried to sign up from Hong Kong but it won’t let me. Says I am offside and when I look at the terms it only refers to Canada, US and Europe.  A real bummer as I would have been happy to give them my money. As such, I will have to watch it pirated. Sorry CPL.You should define your world a little more broadly. 

I honestly don't mind the pricing. I'm in St. John's, Newfoundland - yet I picked up season tickets for Halifax (the city I grew up around, and a place I visit a few times a year). 

Here is my CPL spend:

• $199 for HFX Season Tickets (which includes a jersey)
  • $50 for streaming service (season ticket discount) allowing me to watch every single league game

TOTAL: $249 

I can also sell each ticket I don't use for $20, which I'll get back.

Alternatively, if I didn't buy the season tickets:

• $119 for a jersey
  • $30 for each game I attend (likely 3)
  • $75 for streaming service

TOTAL: $284

I can't help but feel like the league has been providing value to supporters left, right, and centre. I'm incredibly impressed, as a HFX fan, of how supporting the team from away makes financial sense. I also think the streaming service is pretty damn affordable. If people don't want the extra content, you're probably looking at paying for what? 5 or 6 months, after factoring in the free month? That's $50 or $60 to watch every game for the entire first season of the league. Less than a buck a game. 

I think its hard to argue the pricing is off unless you're a casual fan. Which is fine, there are 20 free games on CBC and beyond that if you really want to catch a match for less than the price of a ticket to a movie and snag a 24-hour pass. That's an option they really didn't have to include. 

I know HFX is one of the cheaper teams, but holy crap am I satisfied with the value that the league has provided. No complaints at all from me!

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

I think by around the world they mean Canada, US and Europe as I have tried to sign up from Hong Kong but it won’t let me. Says I am offside and when I look at the terms it only refers to Canada, US and Europe.  A real bummer as I would have been happy to give them my money. As such, I will have to watch it pirated. Sorry CPL.You should define your world a little more broadly. 

They have a twitter help account.

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

As already answered you, I did sign up on One Soccer, from Spain. 

I did have some glitches, but they sorted them for me, and very quickly.

I signed up 2 hours before the opener, and got no confirmation email. Which you should, to confirm the password and sign in details.

When you plug in your credit card info, imo they should give you some acknowledgment, even though it is a zero payment. I wrote them by email about this and within 45 min they replied, confirmed my access, reminded me I would not be charged until May 28 (not the 29th or 31st or June 1st, meaning it sounds like it is an exact month, not a calendar month, from the 27th to 27th).

As is, at game time, I hear only the PA, not any commentators. Will see if this changes.