CPL TV Contract

20 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I can't eat at McDonalds once for under $9. I spend more than that at Tim's each week on my morning commute and I bought a year of DAZN content for $120.  I think Celtic TV costs me $240 Canadian, but that's a pretty polished product, sooooo what is a season of CPL worth?

One Soccer, if your're reading, if you can't get a $100 for a season's worth of CPL matches you're doing something wrong.  Either you're providing a piss poor product or pursuing the wong customers. 

Just my humble opinion.  Take it in context.

Your's Truly

Zen Cheeta. 

Don't get more wrong. i'd be willing to pay that, but it'd be a hard sell for the general public for basically 3 CPL games, 1 L1O game a week for six months; 6 Voy Cup games a month for 3 months, and then 6 more Voy Cup games, and a smattering of National Team games.

I am excited to see the other shows being produced, but I can't see how much content they can make for just Canadian soccer.

As someone who's lived in the U.S. for a while now I have to say...The amount you guys get charged in Canada for sports is BRUTAL. This isn't meant as a USA v CANADA thing, just an observation from some of the people on here mentioning what they spend on sports packages. That sucks! Hopefully OneSoccer does things with integrity.

5 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I can't eat at McDonalds once for under $9. I spend more than that at Tim's each week on my morning commute and I bought a year of DAZN content for $120.  I think Celtic TV costs me $240 Canadian, but that's a pretty polished product, sooooo what is a season of CPL worth?

One Soccer, if your're reading, if you can't get a $100 for a season's worth of CPL matches you're doing something wrong.  Either you're providing a piss poor product or pursuing the wong customers. 

Just my humble opinion.  Take it in context.

Your's Truly

Zen Cheeta. 

I think they'd have to pay me to listen to Brendan Rodgers spout rubbish throughout the week. I'm not sure that Lennon is any better.

7 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

As someone who's lived in the U.S. for a while now I have to say...The amount you guys get charged in Canada for everything is BRUTAL. This isn't meant as a USA v CANADA thing, just an observation from some of the people on here mentioning what they spend on sports packages. That sucks! Hopefully OneSoccer does things with integrity.

FYP

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Funny how some people for SOOOOOO long kept hammering that this wouldn't happen.

It's ok to be optimistic... just saying.

tut tut..don't count your chickens and all that ? you'll hex it. Actually we have a decent record to the contrary with Canada ;) 

Looking forward to that CBC news dropping if it is true. I hope that "across multiple platforms" part means "20 games that will be available on TV and those same games you can watch online" rather than something like "20 games that are available on either TV or online".

If you check the CPL twitter you can see they are creating a lot of content in the Dominican Republic, sometimes through CPL media (Kurt Larson), sometimes, apparently, through press related to clubs (Sandor), but now, also Media Pro Canada, like in this tweet below. Their twitter feed, https://twitter.com/mediaprocanada, refers to the CPL content team, while they are just now referring those interested in their content to One Soccer, apparently their outlet. It'll be interesting to see whether Larson, the clubs' media people and Media Pro share content and collaborate and to what degree.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:52 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Necroing a slightly older thread.  Here is the message I sent to CBC today (via multiple channels):

Dear CBC,

My name is XXXXXXXXXXX  and I have been an avid soccer/footy fan for decades. I am also a strong supporter of CBC as our national broadcaster. From televised news and sports, to CBC Radio (one and two), to a strong online web presence (website and dedicated apps), I utilize all CBC platforms and believe that the CBC provides an extremely high quality service that offer excellent value for money to all Canadians.

With this in mind, I am writing to encourage you to explore the idea of broadcasting games for the emerging Canadian Premier League (soccer). The CPL will be Canada’s first coast to coast domestic soccer league of the modern era, and next year it will launch its inaugural season in major media markets spanning from BC to Atlantic Canada.

This is an extremely exciting development for the Canadian soccer community. CPL will be a truly Canadian league – for Canadians, by Canadians, and showcasing and developing Canadian talent. In light of this, the possibilities of a broadcasting arrangement with the CBC are significant, and there are many factors that would support it. Specifically:

• CBC is similarly national in scope. With coast to coast to coast saturation, CBC could provide fully national access to a league that is seeking to serve all Canadians.
• Given this scope, and the existence of localized CBC broadcasting teams, CBC could provide strong local coverage within local markets. This league will be driven in large part by strong local interests; the ability to provide localized coverage of teams on regional channels would be a great angle to drive local interest in your programming.
• Because CBC is available to all Canadians and not subscription based, access would be universal and would not represent a barrier to viewers on the basis of location or economic status.
• While CBC has a long history of quality sports broadcasting (both amateur and professional), there is currently a significant lack of soccer content within your suite of sports broadcasting. CPL is the ideal league to get back into this broadcasting space, as it would be less expensive than other league rights yet uniquely Canadian.
• Tied to this, there is a huge appetite for soccer content in Canada. Whether shown by the record-breaking numbers achieved during CBC’s coverage of the 2014 World Cup, the strong ratings posted for the recent World Cup in Russia (despite inconvenient broadcast times), the significant viewership that regularly supports our national women’s team, or the strong ratings consistently posted for other professional soccer leagues on the dedicated sports networks, soccer’s rise in popularity is indisputable. The audience for this product is out there.
• In an era where high quality streaming options are emerging to reflect consumer shifts, your experience providing excellent streaming coverage of sports events such as the Olympics demonstrate your capacity in this area.
• Finally, by “getting in on the ground floor” and supporting the league at the outset, CBC would have the opportunity to not only help grow the league, but could also secure a long term arrangement for cost-effective soccer programming with a large potential for growth in popularity. This is a league with plans and ambition. CBC’s broadcasting support at the outset could prove to be an excellent business decision as the league’s popularity grows.

CBC’s mandate includes promotion of Canadian culture – which includes sport. CBC seeks to reflect and promote the cultural diversity of Canada – in a context where soccer (aka “football”) is the world’s most popular sport, and the one which has the most registered youth players in Canada. In short, soccer is now a truly Canadian game. In light of this, I strongly urge you to explore the idea of partnering with CPL at this exciting time, to provide high quality access to this league for all Canadians.

It is possible that league officials have already reached out to explore the possibility of a broadcasting partnership. If not, I would encourage you to reach out to them. The website for this emerging league, including contact information for league officials, can be found here: www.canpl.ca

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXX

If the CBC thing does come to pass, I like to think I played a (very very) small part.  At least that is what I will tell myself when I crack a beer upon hearing the announcement.  Fingers crossed...

Edited by dyslexic nam

I'd have to imagine the whole point of a simulcast deal like this is for getting games on TV.  Otherwise why even bother with CBC and not just go straight to youtube?

The only games that are a part of this that I could see not being on TV are the Canadian Championship matches which are mid-week.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The only part I don't get is that if 20 games are being shown on CBC (one one platform or another - free OTA but paid for a service like Gem), where is the incentive to sign up for another paid subscription like OneSoccer. 

Probably just those 20 games will be available and for people who like what they're seeing they can sign up and pay the subscription plan that one soccer reveals. Since they are broadcasting their own game through media pro and then putting it on CBC they will have lots commercials, features, interviews, etc about CPL on their website or social media for "casual fans" to find out more 

To see the other 78 league games + Canadian Championship, they will have to pay. But you're showing the audience a piece of the puzzle for free, if Canadians fall in love with it,will be a huge success

Great Iniciative ??

Edited by Blackjack15

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The only part I don't get is that if 20 games are being shown on CBC (one one platform or another - free OTA but paid for a service like Gem), where is the incentive to sign up for another paid subscription like OneSoccer. 

There's definitely a bit less incentive for more casual fans but if you are fan of a specific club and want to watch all of their games...you have no choice but to get OneSoccer.

Also if you are an international viewer OneSoccer is probably still your only option for the foreseeable future.

Edited by mpg_29

9 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Probably just those 20 games will be available and for people who like what they're seeing they can sign up and pay the subscription plan that one soccer reveals. Since they are broadcasting their own game through media pro and then putting it on CBC they will have lots commercials, features, interviews, etc about CPL on their website or social media for "casual fans" to find out more 

To see the other 78 league games + Canadian Championship, they will have to pay. But you're showing the audience a piece of the puzzle for free, if Canadians fall in love with it,will be a huge success

Great Iniciative ??

That makes sense.  Exposure will be key in the early days.  That is why I am hopeful this is true.  And CBC Gem is a subscription service so its not like a ton of people will already be on it.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

There's definitely a bit less incentive for more casual fans but if you are fan of a specific club and want to watch all of their games...you have no choice but to get OneSoccer.

I think you are right - and it is really only the dedicated (committed - in both senses...) that are likely to subscribe to OneSoccer early on anyway.  I just hope there aren't a lot of fence sitters that forgo OneSoccer because they feel like they are getting enough CPL via free content on OTA CBC.    

CBC Gem is pretty much free. There is a premium account but the only thing you get on the paid subscription that you dont on the free one is no ads and a live stream news network. 

This is great if it's true. It's almost the perfect scenario. CPL will be on free to air TV so it can reach anyone with a TV or computer/phone with the CBC website/app. Its maximum exposure for those games while also a taste to draw people in. If they want more they get the CPL/one soccer app. 

12 minutes ago, toontownman said:

CBC Gem is pretty much free. There is a premium account but the only thing you get on the paid subscription that you dont on the free one is no ads and a live stream news network. 

This is great if it's true. It's almost the perfect scenario. CPL will be on free to air TV so it can reach anyone with a TV or computer/phone with the CBC website/app. Its maximum exposure for those games while also a taste to draw people in. If they want more they get the CPL/one soccer app. 

Didn't know the Gem price was only for the premium.  Good to know that the CBC-based content would be freely accessible.  That could change at some point, but as a publicly funded body CBC has to be careful about levying additional user fees.