CPL TV Contract

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Same. My brother was like "wow they got a CBC deal". 

Only thing is my brother is a real leafs fan. They need to market to the soccer fans. Time will tell. 

I think that the thing is that most casual sports fans will be watching the Leafs game. The majority of them may not be accessible fans (not interested in soccer) but I’d bet that of the millions of people watching the game, there are plenty who might check out the CPL now that they’ve heard of it, especially if they hear about it a few times. 

One of the big reasons that TFC is such a success in my opinion, is that they’ve been embraced by casual sports fans. It’ll take more than this for that to happen, but it’s a good start. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://www.timescolonist.com/islander/pro-soccer-arrives-on-island-it-s-game-on-for-pacific-fc-1.23797550

Some inaccuracies in this article. For example, I think it's safe to assume the salary cap isn't $2.5 million, but what is implied by being 50% funded by Mediapro?

Just doing some quick math, it could be the $200,000,000 divided by 10, divided by 7. (Each club’s annual share of the MEDIAPRO deal assuming the payments are equal and there are only 7 clubs). That comes to just over $2.8MM, just over half of the article’s asserted $5MM / yr operating budget. 

I think that the article is probably making some big assumptions though... I can’t see the salary cap being $2.5MM per year. I could see the clubs spending $5MM a year, but most of that won’t be salary in my opinion. I could see the cap being highish ($1.5-2MM) but the club’s not actually maxing it out to start. 

The intriguing snippet from the article:

https://www.timescolonist.com/islander/pro-soccer-arrives-on-island-it-s-game-on-for-pacific-fc-1.23797550

...“We need everybody getting behind the league. We are 50 per cent funded by a Spanish TV giant. They see the potential in a sport they know best. There may be some Canadians who can’t understand why a company from Barcelona is doing this. That hasn’t really clicked in yet with Canadians. The content will be high end and unique. What the rest of the world sees is such a great nation as Canada — one of the most desirable places to live in the world — and they can’t fathom that we don’t have a pro league in the most popular sport in the world.

So when we offer a foundational sponsorship opportunity, to say a Spanish company such as with the TV deal, ...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Just doing some quick math, it could be the $200,000,000 divided by 10, divided by 7. (Each club’s annual share of the MEDIAPRO deal assuming the payments are equal and there are only 7 clubs). That comes to just over $2.8MM, just over half of the article’s asserted $5MM / yr operating budget. 

I think that the article is probably making some big assumptions though... I can’t see the salary cap being $2.5MM per year. I could see the clubs spending $5MM a year, but most of that won’t be salary in my opinion. I could see the cap being highish ($1.5-2MM) but the club’s not actually maxing it out to start. 

It isn't $200m for the league and it's also not clear how much is payment and how much is production. One member has said the league is getting $150m a year (cash) but the league has said they're doing an 8-camera set up which will run like $4.5-6m a season, so the number is highly suspect as well.

I would not be shocked if the $5m mentioned here is a questionable source or someone linked to a fan group. The article heavily clashes with various other sources so I'm surprised it went forward.

Edited by matty

There is definitely a seven figure entry fee involved:

https://biv.com/article/2018/08/canadian-premier-league-owners-ready-launch

....CPL team owners are required to ante up what Clanachan said is “more than $1 million” as an entry fee, and that investment also buys an equal stake in the league. All ownership groups also have to pass a financial stress test....

https://lfpress.com/sports/soccer/will-london-build-a-downtown-sports-stadium-its-a-possibility

...FC London’s founder and chief operating officer, Ian Campbell, says he had discussions with the league last year but the financial numbers didn’t work out.

There was the franchise fee, which is in the millions. Then there was the expectation that there would be money lost in the first few years,” Campbell said. “I also think that the travel expenses are going to be really steep. It’s expensive going to places like Victoria.”...

The budget required to be able to kick off in year one is not the same as the budget in later years, so the $5 million number might be accurate in the first context but not a sensible starting point for figuring out what 50% being spent on salaries implies.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

46 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The budget required to be able to kick off in year one is not the same as the budget in later years, so the $5 million number might be accurate in the first context but not a sensible starting point for figuring out what 50% being spent on salaries implies.

it also doesn't make sense to be half funded by mediapro, especially as expansion happens

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Some inaccuracies in this article. For example, I think it's safe to assume the salary cap isn't $2.5 million, but what is implied by being 50% funded by Mediapro?

What he is saying is that 50% of the money committed to the league right now (outside of team owners) is from MediaPro. Obviously that needs to grow and will grow as the league gets going.

1 hour ago, matty said:

It isn't $200m for the league and it's also not clear how much is payment and how much is production. One member has said the league is getting $150m a year (cash) but the league has said they're doing an 8-camera set up which will run like $4.5-6m a season, so the number is highly suspect as well.

I would not be shocked if the $5m mentioned here is a questionable source or someone linked to a fan group. The article heavily clashes with various other sources so I'm surprised it went forward.

I agree, it’s probably based on a series of erroneous assumptions. 

On 4/19/2019 at 6:45 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Re FC Edmonton's Clarke Stadium, although they did do HD broadcasts for streaming and local TV in NASL, they had no home matches shown on that league's National TV Broadcaster's CBS Sports, OWS, and Bein Sports so it may be an issue with the stadiums facilities.

The NASL's national TV broadcasters had specific requirements that had to be met for the matches to be on their networks and Clarke may not have met them.

They used to broadcast their games on CBC a few years back(5-6 years ago if I remember correctly)

25 minutes ago, sting said:

I signed up at the onesoccer site and have not heard anything at all from them. Has anyone yet? Just days away, it would be nice to hear something.

Haven't heard anything from them via the site's email sign-up. Any news regarding OneSoccer has come via Twitter, but there's been very little.

Kurt Larson has informed on Twitter to tune in 30 minutes before and after for pre game and post match interviews, features, exclusive content on onesoccer.ca this Saturday! Some of it will be shown on the broadcast while on CBC while others won't have enough time for, remember it's the home of Canadian soccer - The 24/7 Channel 360° Model  

The great thing is that it will be free of cost for a "generous amount of time", my guess is that it will be the spring season to gauge interest in the sprint and see how much people subscribe for the marathon, hard to argue that if the fans like what they're seeing how can you not buy in? All about building the fanbase rather than making money $ in the very beginning.

Edited by Blackjack15

https://advanced-television.com/2019/04/23/mediapro-acquires-canadas-tri-lite-tv/

Headquartered in Ontario, Tri-Lite TV has a production centre with 500 square metres of TV studio sets, covering sports events, entertainment and news events in Canada and the US.

more details: https://www.sportsvideo.org/2019/04/22/mediapro-canada-acquires-tri-lite-tv/ article notes there will be 130 games over this season, not sure if that's an error or just including this like canchamp games (which brings the total to 124 including the 2 leg final) and national team stuff 

Edited by matty

11 hours ago, matty said:

https://advanced-television.com/2019/04/23/mediapro-acquires-canadas-tri-lite-tv/

Headquartered in Ontario, Tri-Lite TV has a production centre with 500 square metres of TV studio sets, covering sports events, entertainment and news events in Canada and the US.

more details: https://www.sportsvideo.org/2019/04/22/mediapro-canada-acquires-tri-lite-tv/ article notes there will be 130 games over this season, not sure if that's an error or just including this like canchamp games (which brings the total to 124 including the 2 leg final) and national team stuff 

It sounds like they are aiming to have good quality and well produced broadcasts, the 2nd article mentions the “State of Ontario” , any coverage is good coverage even if it wasn't totally accurate!

10 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Is it more beneficial to the CPL if I watch the CBC feed or straight from the onesoccer site? Will the CPL be able to use high viewer count on the CBC feed to woo future contracts with CBC or other broadcasters and more advertisers?

Personally, I will be watching on CBC when possible as a way to reinforce my personal preference for TV-based offerings.  Streaming will be there for the rest, but when I can show my support for games-on-TV, that will be the route I take.  Entirely based on personal preference though.

As for which one is better for CPL, I suspect they will be paying close attention to all viewership numbers regardless of platform.

13 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Is it more beneficial to the CPL if I watch the CBC feed or straight from the onesoccer site? Will the CPL be able to use high viewer count on the CBC feed to woo future contracts with CBC or other broadcasters and more advertisers?

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Personally, I will be watching on CBC when possible as a way to reinforce my personal preference for TV-based offerings.  Streaming will be there for the rest, but when I can show my support for games-on-TV, that will be the route I take.  Entirely based on personal preference though.

As for which one is better for CPL, I suspect they will be paying close attention to all viewership numbers regardless of platform.

Watching the CBC television feed wouldn't affect anything if you're not a Numeris household. 

51 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Watching the CBC television feed wouldn't affect anything if you're not a Numeris household. 

I always assumed Bell Aliant would track what channels I was watching, and that this aggregated info could be made available to broadcasters to gauge consumer interest.  Maybe I am wrong on that one.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I always assumed Bell Aliant would track what channels I was watching, and that this aggregated info could be made available to broadcasters to gauge consumer interest.  Maybe I am wrong on that one.

It's possible cable providers track viewing habits but I believe all broadcasters use Numeris as it's a quasi-independent organization that tracks viewership for broadcasters, marketers and agencies. I suspect broadcasters would be weary of numbers provided by cable providers.