Stephen Eustaquio

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think that Conceicao is a bit of a dick, and he's punishing Staq for showing dissent earlier in the season. One, or both, of them will move on from Porto in the summer.

That or he turned down a transfer in January. Makes no sense otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think that Conceicao is a bit of a dick, and he's punishing Staq for showing dissent earlier in the season. One, or both, of them will move on from Porto in the summer.

Interesting take. I do recall the fans being unhappy with Staq and him being benched earlier in the season. I hope he can get back into the 11, but I do agree that a move is plausible if things don't change. 

20 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That or he turned down a transfer in January. Makes no sense otherwise. 

He’s 5 years older than either of the two players starting, both which will soon command very high fees, and they’ve looked better with him off the bench. Fans seem to hate him too, but I think it really just comes down to having lost his place to younger and arguably better players. Pretty sure it happened to Grujic before him too. I hope he makes his way out of Porto this summer. 

36 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s 5 years older than either of the two players starting, both which will soon command very high fees, and they’ve looked better with him off the bench. Fans seem to hate him too, but I think it really just comes down to having lost his place to younger and arguably better players. Pretty sure it happened to Grujic before him too. I hope he makes his way out of Porto this summer. 

Has Staq become the Porto equivalent of Oso?

On 3/12/2024 at 8:49 PM, SthMelbRed said:

At the very least he does have a history of taking offense to random (imaginary even?) shit...

15 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I've held off on pronouncing myself on this one, cause 1- I'm biased when it comes to Stache. 2- I have not watched the new guys closely enough to judge.  

Have Porto been playing better since the new guys took over from Stache?  Cause I will say I do back the Conceicao is a sensitive jerk narrative.  The timing is too much of a coincidence and history kinda points to that as well.

Porto now has, definitively, a poor season, no Champions, no chance in the league. Just the Cup (as they play Setubal home and away in semis, they should see either Sporting or Benfica in the final).

The knives came out a few months ago, Conceiçao has his back against the wall, but you can read how fans were making lists of this or that player who does not have the level. Thing is, Steph being left off the starting list has coincided almost exactly with the team slipping even more and falling off from the league entirely. But they were not doing that well ever. I was in Porto the day they were away at Rio Ave, early in September, and the team struggled vs a weaker rival, already the fans were humming and hawing.

They played well vs. Arsenal, have quality, but clearly are performing below their expected level. And Staq is not the most problematic piece in that by any means.

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

My Portuguese friend who tells me everything about the Portuguese Primeira League despises Conceicao and claims he’s a character and a bit of a controversial one as well.

Depends what team he's a fan of, if you are not a Porto fan you are not going to get a version worth much.

Same with me: don't ask me for an opinion about Real Madrid.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Depends what team he's a fan of, if you are not a Porto fan you are not going to get a version worth much.

Same with me: don't ask me for an opinion about Real Madrid.

Some people can be fans of a particular side and still be objective about their rivals. It is possible.

59 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Some people can be fans of a particular side and still be objective about their rivals. It is possible.

Ah, but it is possible to be just the opposite too?  Just like the popular 3 hearts system popularized by current TV fave Shogun.

It's a saying they have, that a man has a false heart in his mouth for the world to see, another in his breast to show to his special friends and his family, and the real one, the true one, the secret one, which is never known to anyone except to himself alone, hidden only God knows where.

Who knows which heart is speaking?  Soccer passions can run deep.

I think Stephen deserves better from Porto...but it does seem like the love is completely gone.  Fickle football.

Edited by eramosat

10 hours ago, An Observer said:

You still have to ask a person in Portugal what their team is, otherwise you are being completely naive. 

Just saying someone from Portugal has this or that opinion about Conceiçao is not enough and means nothing without the context. Conceiçao is a Porto man, started his important playing career there, went back about almost a decade in Italy, then only coached "lesser clubs" but also from the north like Guimaraes and Braga before getting the Porto job. No one who is a Benfica fan, especially, or a Sporting fan, is going to give him the time of day, he means nothing to them, then he never won anything with Portugal national team either. 

I don't get why people are so eager to believe an "opinion" without caring at all what it's guided by. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You still have to ask a person in Portugal what their team is, otherwise you are being completely naive. 

Just saying someone from Portugal has this or that opinion about Conceiçao is not enough and means nothing without the context. Conceiçao is a Porto man, started his important playing career there, went back about almost a decade in Italy, then only coached "lesser clubs" but also from the north like Guimaraes and Braga before getting the Porto job. No one who is a Benfica fan, especially, or a Sporting fan, is going to give him the time of day, he means nothing to them, then he never won anything with Portugal national team either. 

I don't get why people are so eager to believe an "opinion" without caring at all what it's guided by. 

You seem to know a lot about my friend... And since you've insisted, he is a Porto fan.  Although, not really a particular fan of Eustaquio or Conceicao. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by Corazon

28 minutes ago, Corazon said:

You seem to know a lot about my friend... And since you've insisted, he is a Porto fan.  Although, not really a particular fan of Eustaquio or Conceicao. 

Hope that helps.

For me, if he's a Porto fan, I lend a lot more credence to anything he says. He is talking about a Porto legend and is not a fan, so I appreciate that a lot more. 

I also accept they may not be keen about Staq, the team has underperformed this year and they are probably pissed about most everything. 

51 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Staq is a good choice now and potentially heading into the future for me. The captain generally has to be a top-end starter, but not the best player. Position plays a factor as well. 

As for game prediction, I can't believe I actually agree with Wheeler for once. T&T has picked up good results recently. We haven't been great.

On paper, it should be an easy win (say, by a couple of goals), but it may end up being a lot closer. 

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He’s the obvious choice IMO. One of our most important players. Vocal, calm, consistent and selfless. There’s no other player that ticks all those boxes. 

David.

But I agree, he is the right choice.