Stephen Eustaquio

Part of the problem with Porto and Staq is that Taremi, their top goal scorer the past 2 seasons is out of form and currently at the AFC. Perhaps the coach wants  a more attacking type mid right now to bolster the forwards. Not that Staq is a slouch in that regard. Let's see what happens when Taremi returns. Staq has played a lot of mins this season, so his time on the bench may be a blessing. I was getting concerned he would burn out as Porto were not rotating much.

10 hours ago, Free kick said:

I don't get the negative reactions to your post.  Eustaquio is now 27 years old.   And, unlike others who are mostly <=24 years old  such as TB, Phonzie,  J David, Johnston and maybe Larin,  there is no indications that a move to a bigger club or European league is in the offing for Eustaquio.   So why the heck would a move to to a Canadian MLS team (who all disparately need proven and reliable Canadian talent that are worthy of DP money) be such a bad move for both him and the Canadian clubs?   

Canadian MLS clubs disparately need quality Canadian talent in order to be successful in MLS,  a league that  has American clubs with a deeper domestic talent pool and hence can find the kind of domestic talent to justify DP dollars or even just the domestic slots.  If one takes their red coloured glasses off for a second, the pool of Canadian international talent (or having potential to be international quality) is pretty shallow once you look beyond the half dozen or so of the top players on our senior MNT.   Quality domestic talent that you can put in a DP role is crucial for roster building in MLS.   And you can make a good case that Staq's is the only one with the talent, experience and profile that you can give DP money and not hamper his career development and progression by moving from Europe to North America.   Plus he would be the perfect replacement for Bradley.      

A few things...

1- TFC is in a really bad place.  The only player that seemed to be unaffected by everything going on around him was Laryea.  Besides him, every single player is playing below expectations, everyone looks bad, and they have some really good players so that is no easy feat.  The organization generally speaking is in a bad place.

2- This MIGHT help TFC, but does not help Stache nor CANMNT.

3- Let TFC sort their stuff out first, without risking the most important piece of CANMNT.

25 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Part of the problem with Porto and Staq is that Taremi, their top goal scorer the past 2 seasons is out of form and currently at the AFC. Perhaps the coach wants  a more attacking type mid right now to bolster the forwards. Not that Staq is a slouch in that regard. Let's see what happens when Taremi returns. Staq has played a lot of mins this season, so his time on the bench may be a blessing. I was getting concerned he would burn out as Porto were not rotating much.

I think the main complaint is that his skill set overlaps with Alan Varela’s and Eustaquio isn’t creative offensively enough to generate consistent scoring chances for their forwards. They also have young players like Nico Gonzalez and Ivan Jaime who have been playing well and are much younger than Steph, so I think it’s less about him not being good enough and maybe the fit not really being there for Porto anymore. 

He’s in a tough spot because I feel like the big clubs at his level, like the big Portuguese or Dutch clubs are going to prioritize guys they can develop and flip for a profit and clubs above his level have better players, so where does he go from here? I think if he does leave Porto though, some good clubs will come calling. I think he’s still got a step to go between now and when he comes home to TFC. 

On 1/29/2024 at 11:58 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Of the many speculations about who to replace Xavi, one that is appearing is the Porto coach Sergio Conceiçao. Though there are elections at Porto in a few months and both candidates for presidency, Pinto da Costa and Villa Boas, have Conceiçao as their choice for continuing as coach there. 

Other peripheral Porto news: Braga and Estoril knocked out Sporting and Benfica in semis and played the League Cup last weekend, Braga won. That takes pressure off Porto, as neither main rival gets the mid-season trophy. 

One player that has replaced Eustaquio in minutes lately is Nico González, who could end up sold to Girona this window. But if that happens, Porto still want to sign another mid. But if they don't that gives Steph his starting spot back. 

I know this is bad etiquette, but just wanted to reiterate that the stories keep coming, quite long ones today in the local press. Deco, sporting director at Barça, wants Conceiçao, he could be a front-runner. I don't think he is that great a coach, Porto has good days but is not a killer team. But this could affect Steph if it plays out. 

8 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think the main complaint is that his skill set overlaps with Alan Varela’s and Eustaquio isn’t creative offensively enough to generate consistent scoring chances for their forwards. They also have young players like Nico Gonzalez and Ivan Jaime who have been playing well and are much younger than Steph, so I think it’s less about him not being good enough and maybe the fit not really being there for Porto anymore. 

He’s in a tough spot because I feel like the big clubs at his level, like the big Portuguese or Dutch clubs are going to prioritize guys they can develop and flip for a profit and clubs above his level have better players, so where does he go from here? I think if he does leave Porto though, some good clubs will come calling. I think he’s still got a step to go between now and when he comes home to TFC. 

If Taremi was in form, Porto would have him & Evanlinson up front with Galeno & Pepe Jnr wide, plus both FBs get forward. So if Varela is similar to Staq, defensively resposible, it would suit that set up well. They really don't need an attacking mid. Now if they have younger perhaps more talented mids that they want to play, that's another issue altogether and not much Staq can do about it unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Unused sub in a 0-0 draw 

Terrible result for them, a bit shocking. And playing at home, vs a small rival. That kills their title chances and basically takes them out of league contention. 

Probably good that Staq was not on the pitch, everyone else, including the coach, will get the heat.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:33 PM, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Just saw this:

On 1/10/2024 at 1:48 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I also saw something about him throwing a water bottle after being subbed off in the previous game so was wondering if there was a bit of conflict behind it. 

These two posts are looking a little more suspicious to me now… I believe he’s only started 1 of 5 games since and the one start he only played 57 minutes.  
This comes after starting in 20 of the 22 League/Champions league games to start the season (including all 6 Champions League games).

I spoke to a friend who follows the league very closely about this and he mentioned that Conceicao seems to hold grudges, but who knows at this point?  
seems to be strange that he’s being benched after an incident.  Especially considered he had several man of the match awards in the first half of the season.

43 minutes ago, king1010 said:

on the bench again today. 

But the coach is playing his son, that's what's important (okay, he's not a bad little player). 

I see they are just drawing Arouca, another virtual minnow in Portugal top flight. If they keep bombing with him on the bench I don't care, he won't be blamed for the results and will come out on the other side unscathed.

Any comments from friends who follow Portuguese league? Reading some of the comments online (I know not always best source), seems that he's not having a good moment and seems like fans have turned on him and a couple of other players.

What I'm hearing is that all he keeps doing is passing ball backwards. Don't want to rely only on what I read on comment sections, so wondering if he's really regressed or not. 

1 hour ago, Joe1973 said:

Any comments from friends who follow Portuguese league? Reading some of the comments online (I know not always best source), seems that he's not having a good moment and seems like fans have turned on him and a couple of other players.

What I'm hearing is that all he keeps doing is passing ball backwards. Don't want to rely only on what I read on comment sections, so wondering if he's really regressed or not. 

I haven't watched lately but I assume there is not much to see here. Porto are having a bad season and pitchforks are coming out by the sounds of it. 

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I haven't watched lately but I assume there is not much to see here. Porto are having a bad season and pitchforks are coming out by the sounds of it. 

Yeah that's the case I think. I will watch the Arsenal game in Champion's league; that gap is probably huge for Porto.