CPL General

7 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Probably a bit of both.

Like most soccer leagues around the world, the CPL effectively operates in a wage and talent bracket.  They need players of at least a minimum level of talent but tend to lose players who are above a certain level of talent for financial reasons.  So, to totally make up a scale, if a rec league player is 1 and an EPL star is 100, let's say that CPL players are between 50 and 70.

If wages increase slightly (by 10k in your example) they will tend to get more players in the 65-70 range and fewer in the 50-55 range.  Maybe they even get a few just above 70.

But, the league has Canadian content rules and there are only so many Canadian players in the necessary range.  So we may also see some Canadian wage inflation.  A Canadian 65 might be worth as much as a foreign 70 to a CPL team.

I think that realistically foreigners will get most of the cap increase - I think the league will want to keep playing guys what they are worth on the open market (supply and demand). Yes there are Canadian requirements but spending more means that you can attract and keep higher caliber guys instead of bumping the pay of current guys.

Just an example if budget increases
Do you pay Oxner 50k or sign a free agent Sirois at 60k?

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Understand the rationale but is that what we have actually seen though? There have been a few imports that stand out in a big way like Morelli, Escalante, Mason and Diaz (I have no problem with signing up to maybe three imports per roster) but there have been plenty more that really don't look significantly better than the Canadian guys no one had heard of until they appeared in CanPL.

Think there are more young Canadian players out there that would do a reasonable job if given a chance to show what they can do for a few seasons with full-time training. It's not like the CFL scenario where there are lots of very talented Americans who don't get an NFL contract that can boost the playing standards in a big way relative to what's available domestically. CanPL is very much raking around the bargain bins in terms of soccer's global transfer market.

There's another cost factor: it's expensive to scout and trial internationals in Canada. Assuming we are not going to sign too many Americans, which I am fine with (especially since they offer no labour reciprocity in MLS).

If we were in Lithuania or Costa Rica, some guys could drive across the border and trial with us. And we could send our coach across the border midweek to watch some guy in Latvia or Honduras. Can't happen in Canada, apart from US players. So that is a cost, for the player or the club. Meanwhile, you can trial Canadians, often local or close to it, you can bring them in cheaper. So it is actually more cost effective to scout locally-regionally, trial that way, sign that way--apart from paying what a young Canadian would make instead of an inspiring kid from Guatemala or Finland or Tunisia even.

The development and growth of League Ones will also benefit this, with mostly Canadians, again (not sure we can say the same with U-Sports, but we'll see if CPL drives quality improvements in Canadian university soccer).

This, I believe, is a factor in not getting some internationals right, they being not as good or incisive as expected: scouting was sketchy. And also, true, the fact that the CPL itself did not know what its real level was either. We've been guesstimating what sort of player quality to sign. That will likely change.

Notably, a few CPL internationals were already in Canada, or had been. Blasco, who was with Whitecaps then studying at Vancouver Island University and playing PCSL in Nanaimo; or Schaale, who played quite a few years at Cape Breton. Soria had played for Fury and then in USL with Puerto Rico before signing with Edmonton. Escalante had been in North America with three different Texas teams.

The other formula: Hart knowing these Caribbean players and bringing them up, with more or less success.

NB: all CPL MVPs so far have been Canadian, and with Wero Diaz gone, I'd venture to say this year's will be too.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's another cost factor: it's expensive to scout and trial internationals in Canada. Assuming we are not going to sign too many Americans, which I am fine with (especially since they offer no labour reciprocity in MLS).

If we were in Lithuania or Costa Rica, some guys could drive across the border and trial with us. And we could send our coach across the border midweek to watch some guy in Latvia or Honduras. Can't happen in Canada, apart from US players. So that is a cost, for the player or the club. Meanwhile, you can trial Canadians, often local or close to it, you can bring them in cheaper. So it is actually more cost effective to scout locally-regionally, trial that way, sign that way--apart from paying what a young Canadian would make instead of an inspiring kid from Guatemala or Finland or Tunisia even.

The development and growth of League Ones will also benefit this, with mostly Canadians, again (not sure we can say the same with U-Sports, but we'll see if CPL drives quality improvements in Canadian university soccer).

This, I believe, is a factor in not getting some internationals right, they being not as good or incisive as expected: scouting was sketchy. And also, true, the fact that the CPL itself did not know what its real level was either. We've been guesstimating what sort of player quality to sign. That will likely change.

Notably, a few CPL internationals were already in Canada, or had been. Blasco, who was with Whitecaps then studying at Vancouver Island University and playing PCSL in Nanaimo; or Schaale, who played quite a few years at Cape Breton. Soria had played for Fury and then in USL with Puerto Rico before signing with Edmonton. Escalante had been in North America with three different Texas teams.

The other formula: Hart knowing these Caribbean players and bringing them up, with more or less success.

NB: all CPL MVPs so far have been Canadian, and with Wero Diaz gone, I'd venture to say this year's will be too.

Agree with this.

People don't realize how incredibly lazy scouting can be. And possibly because of resources.

For instance, off the top of my head, every CPL player that signed for a Canadian MLS team played against them in the Voyageurs Cup the year before.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think that realistically foreigners will get most of the cap increase - I think the league will want to keep playing guys what they are worth on the open market (supply and demand). Yes there are Canadian requirements but spending more means that you can attract and keep higher caliber guys instead of bumping the pay of current guys.

Just an example if budget increases
Do you pay Oxner 50k or sign a free agent Sirois at 60k?

Maybe. On the other hand, one of the first things the players union will be pushing for is a continued increase of the minimum salaries. You might not be looking at players going from 50k to 60k but rather going from 22k to 32k. 

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's another cost factor: it's expensive to scout and trial internationals in Canada

Isn’t that why they teamed up with that scouting agency? So the clubs didn’t take on these costs individually. That being said, from Pacific’s perspective I think it’s only been mildly successful.

I think the objective is to bring in younger internationals and flip them for a profit (which we did with Diaz), but I’d much rather have seen a player like Campbell stay with the team than bringing in Dos Santos and Daniels. I’d also rather see promising young domestic attackers get a chance, though Habibullah has been poor. I think we’re still figuring it out 

14 hours ago, Kingston said:

And this would actually be a good thing.  The league minimum needs to be at least equivalent to a full year minimum wage job so that players can at least try to be just players.

Agreed, and it's something that needs to happen. But it doesn't raise the quality of the league.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:55 AM, Aird25 said:

Isn’t that why they teamed up with that scouting agency? So the clubs didn’t take on these costs individually. That being said, from Pacific’s perspective I think it’s only been mildly successful.

I think the objective is to bring in younger internationals and flip them for a profit (which we did with Diaz), but I’d much rather have seen a player like Campbell stay with the team than bringing in Dos Santos and Daniels. I’d also rather see promising young domestic attackers get a chance, though Habibullah has been poor. I think we’re still figuring it out 

That definitely seems to be the league strategy.

Daniels, Dos Santos, Balde, Graciar, Rama, Marshall, Wallace, Jesus are all players that came in from former big name youth setups (or youth national team setups in Marshall's case) but hadn't really taken the next step professionally. Assumedly the league is hoping some of the players pan out to their previously seen potential and can be flipped.

4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

The thought ran across my mind after seeing this: wouldn't it be something if Juventus struck a similar relationship with York as exists with Atletico Ottawa. Small cost for a club like Juventus and would give their "Toronto Academy" a little more legitimacy.

Maybe that would move the needle a bit in terms of support as well

On 9/24/2022 at 6:18 AM, Watchmen said:

This sounds like he's confusing the upcoming Champions League format where MLS, Liga MX, and CPL sides are all in the same group with some sort of "unified league".

There has also been a lot of talk of a Liga MX merger with MLS which would provide a league stretching from Mexico to Canada. The Leagues Cup is arguably a stepping stone toward that. Maybe he is assuming CanPL would also be part of whatever league structure emerged from that because the CSA would have to sign off on it. I wouldn't immediately dismiss this as a misunderstanding of what is going on because Atletico Madrid also has a stake in Atletico San Luis in Liga MX.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There has also been a lot of talk of a Liga MX merger with MLS which would provide a league stretching from Mexico to Canada. The Leagues Cup is arguably a stepping stone toward that. Maybe he is assuming CanPL would also be part of whatever league structure emerged from that because the CSA would have to sign off on it. I wouldn't immediately dismiss this as a misunderstanding of what is going on because Atletico Madrid also has a stake in Atletico San Luis in Liga MX.

While there was a lot of talk, those talks also collapsed when it was clear there was significant differences between the leagues. The revised Leagues Cup is the compromise, and I wouldn't expect much more than it any time soon.

On 9/22/2022 at 10:41 PM, Watchmen said:

Agreed, and it's something that needs to happen. But it doesn't raise the quality of the league.

Maybe it doesn't raise the quality of the league dramatically, but it could help retain players instead of them leaving for MLS Next Pro for example, or just straight up retiring at age 25. Or maybe a player becomes better if he doesn't have to work construction 3 days a week or miss practice for his shift at Tim Horton's. Or he doesn't have to skip meals because he is on a tight food budget.

41 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe it doesn't raise the quality of the league dramatically, but it could help retain players instead of them leaving for MLS Next Pro for example, or just straight up retiring at age 25. Or maybe a player becomes better if he doesn't have to work construction 3 days a week or miss practice for his shift at Tim Horton's. Or he doesn't have to skip meals because he is on a tight food budget.

Yup, and all of those would be good things too.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, Stoppage Time said:

Who makes a CPL All-Canadian 18 - 11 starters and 7 subs?

If we're talking this season, I'd quickly put together:

Borges - Osaze - Rea

Bekker - Bustos - Timoteo

Tissot - Didic - Zator - Fernandez

Carducci

Bench: Choiniere, Tabla, Levis, Salter, Pacius, Yao, Ingham

6 developped players by FC montreal.

Could reach further by adding Bekker, but I won't.

TFC and VW should be sending players out on loans in the CPL and have their 2nd team play in the D3 instead of NextPro.