CPL General

10 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Do you have plans on July 12th in the evening?  I’ll personally give you a BSB scarf if you come to Hamilton when we make it 6.

It’s going to be a fun night....

There are a couple of your members I would have no interest in having any level of interaction with after their antics on here, so I'll pass. That wouldn't stop me from watching the team regularly like I did with the London Lasers in 1990 and 1992, if I was based in the Hamilton area but that's not likely in career terms any time soon.

Did you really not grasp that in the message above I was only pointing out that there's no real onus on Ottawa to announce anything about their 2019 plans until it reaches 7 and even after that it could easily still drag on until the Fall because they will want to focus mainly on their 2018 USL season until then?

Check back through my posts and you'll find that I had already guessed it would be you announcing next on the 12th. All that needs to be resolved now to reach 7 is the hydro pole in Langford. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I have no idea how easy or hard that would be in logistical terms, but the wheels of bureaucracy can move slowly sometimes when it comes to obtaining permissions, if there are things like environmental impact studies involved.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

12 hours ago, Gordon said:

I think the Saskatchewan supporters groups recently posted to FB - or perhaps a tweet can't recall - that Belan was working for a 2020 or 2021 entry. Now, i'm not in the know at all, but I'm more pessimistic. Joe Belan seems pretty committed to the idea that the stadium should be downtown as part of his business plan. I am not sure that will come to fruition in either Regina or Saskatoon.

In Saskatoon the parcel he looked at has two others also interested, one of whom is promoting an arena and convention centre. It comes with a $200 millions cost, and very little funding - maybe 10% as the owner of the Saskatoon Rush offered up $20 millions but I am not aware of any other committed cash. Sounds like a non-starter right? Well, a downtown arena has been a consistent (pipe) dream for at least 38 years. And a convention centre is like crack cocaine to small city council's who all too readily channel visions of economic rewards of larger conventions coming to town and typically over rate the attractiveness of the City as a whole to convention planners. So while this proposal will never come about (thankfully because it is a con job and only the gullible would go for it), the parcel of land will be effectively frozen for the next 5-10 years, before we finally move on. The City wont be unhappy about that because they can save the cost of moving the yards, while still fooling themselves that they are being active. The province has screwed them financially, so they'll be happy to postpone the expenditure.

The site Belan is looking at is not the same site that is usually proposed for the indoor arena (which actually has no finalized site yet).

1 hour ago, ray said:

So the CPL franchise fee is $3M according to some articles.  Any word whether FC Edmonton and the much-speculated Ottawa Fury had/would have to pay the full fee?

Corrrect me if I'm wrong, but it's not franchise fee but operating fee?

12 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

Corrrect me if I'm wrong, but it's not franchise fee but operating fee?

OK, that would make sense.  I was (mis)reading a French article on the CPL prospects in Quebec.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:51 AM, admin said:

Keep pounding the Founders name.  I don't think it's set in stone (er steel rather).

At some point though we really need to switch gears and quit complaining.

Complain when your grandchildren have season tickets.   

That’s the plan. I’m just practising to get my 10,000 hours of complaints in. I hope to be a professional complainer when my grandkids have season tickets inspiring them to find their own superficial things to moan about. 

On 6/15/2018 at 5:51 AM, Dub Narcotic said:

The site Belan is looking at is not the same site that is usually proposed for the indoor arena (which actually has no finalized site yet).

The study commissioned looked at 12 potential sites (which were not published), determined downtown was optimal and one of the sites is city  yards - or at least those in the know seem to act as if it is. The traditional location - which I assume you are thinking being the A.L. Cole site? - is no longer the slam dunk it once was for a variety of reasons.

I should note that another proposal is from Arbutus - a Vancouver developer who are willing to buy the property, and among other things, develop a grocery store -badly needed in the downtown area due to the development of +55 condos and seniors building, but, to date deemed unviable by the marketplace  as the numbers living downtown are not sufficient to support a large grocer. And of course, the question is asked in the various media outlets is whether the dreams of a downtown arena are blocking the development to which the standard response seems to be, “it’s too early to tell”.

I’d think Belan’s only real shot of getting the site will be to exist in the market and be attracting Good attendance and community buzz, and he come with a plan that was more than a stadium, and included development of a trendy mini-Yaletown type area, which is - like a downtown arena or a downtown grocery store, is something the city council covets. But that is a much bigger undertaking and, unless you are a developer, a bit much to ask of someone may want only the stadium and team.

After listening to David Clanachan's interview with CheddarLIVE, did he just say that the Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) will give the CPL the ability to take on broadcast rights that are non-traditional and traditional, and that such broadcast rights are a HUGE win for the CPL? With this being said, it's obvious now that the CPL is working towards not only landing a TV deal but also viewing all games via the internet?

10 hours ago, Gordon said:

The study commissioned looked at 12 potential sites (which were not published), determined downtown was optimal and one of the sites is city  yards - or at least those in the know seem to act as if it is. The traditional location - which I assume you are thinking being the A.L. Cole site? - is no longer the slam dunk it once was for a variety of reasons.

I should note that another proposal is from Arbutus - a Vancouver developer who are willing to buy the property, and among other things, develop a grocery store -badly needed in the downtown area due to the development of +55 condos and seniors building, but, to date deemed unviable by the marketplace  as the numbers living downtown are not sufficient to support a large grocer. And of course, the question is asked in the various media outlets is whether the dreams of a downtown arena are blocking the development to which the standard response seems to be, “it’s too early to tell”.

I’d think Belan’s only real shot of getting the site will be to exist in the market and be attracting Good attendance and community buzz, and he come with a plan that was more than a stadium, and included development of a trendy mini-Yaletown type area, which is - like a downtown arena or a downtown grocery store, is something the city council covets. But that is a much bigger undertaking and, unless you are a developer, a bit much to ask of someone may want only the stadium and team.

I'm not clear which study you are referring to (or even which project). The former A.L. Cole site is part of River Landing, already developed.

Belan only proposed one site for a new soccer stadium: an area near the police station in the current city yards. He would develop the site himself but the city would have to move the yards to a new location and do some infrastructure upgrades. Until the site is ready he said he was willing to play in the Exhibition fairgrounds, which you mentioned earlier. However, as far as I know, there hasn't been much movement on this proposal since Belan first brought it to city council, either for the brownfield project site or the temporary location (which would also need work to get it even to launch-year CPL standards). 

2 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Just to make sure I haven't missed something . . . has anyone seen CPL ads on TV/online amongst coverage of the World Cup? Or is this being delayed until after the group stage? 

I'm excited to see this advertising campaign they keep referencing, but I'm starting to get impatient. I mean, it's already been four days. ?

I've watched most of the games (one of the benefits of working from home - TV on in the background) but I haven't seen anything. I don't think there have been any adds on yet.

MUST READ

What caught my attention:

You can and you should go out and support those teams. But there are several hundred Canadians playing their trade somewhere else in the world as a professional and it’s our intention to entice them back and the early response we’re getting from a lot of those players is ‘Absolutely.’ They almost resent that they had to leave in order to go earn a living in the game. I think we will have a nice blend of local guys and those who have played abroad or in other leagues or who are playing in the first, second or even third division of some European or South American leagues. You’d be shocked if you started to look at the numbers and you’d see there’s a kid from Moncton playing in Colombia.

One of our strengths is we have players from all over the world living in Canada. But it’s also a weakness because they generally carry a second passport and so they go and play in Colombia or Portugal or wherever. We’re going to turn that on its head by attracting those guys back and have them start to develop a real Canadian version of the game.

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

MUST READ

What caught my attention:

What caught mine, very inspiring, good work Paul Beirne:

Q: What happens after the team announcements and the initial splash? How do you market and sell something when teams don’t have coaches, players, brands or even nicknames?

PB: One of the things they do have already in place are supporter groups. The culture of soccer is very close to the culture of Canadian football in the best CFL cities. Winnipeg is in that category. And so, while these games feel like worlds apart, in some ways they are very similar. The Canadian Premier League now has, at last count, 16 supporter groups across the country (Red River Rising in Winnipeg).

I’ll use Mississauga as an example. There’s no owner there. There’s no stadium. There’s no project. But there are supporters and, man, are they active. The same can be said for Quebec City and Moncton and across the country. That’s unprecedented and it really opens the eyes of politicians who are thinking about what to do with a piece of land and does it make sense to build an outdoor stadium for their community. Or, it opens the eyes to a potential owner who really wants to get into pro sports knowing that Canada’s No. 1 participation sport is soccer and that there are already supporter groups in place.

Those groups build something you can’t manufacture. I could buy ads, I could put up billboards, but that’s not the same as the passion that exists in the hearts and minds of soccer supporters across the country.

More info from Paul Beirne on the Canadian Premier League's Model :

Q: Will the league manage all salaries or is that something of which each individual franchise will have control?

PB: The group of owners will establish a set of rules and standards and the league will enforce those. But it won’t be the league, for example, that signs a player to play in Winnipeg, it will be Winnipeg who signs the player.

Edited by CDNFootballer

29 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

More info from Paul Beirne on the Canadian Premier League's Model :

Q: Will the league manage all salaries or is that something of which each individual franchise will have control?

PB: The group of owners will establish a set of rules and standards and the league will enforce those. But it won’t be the league, for example, that signs a player to play in Winnipeg, it will be Winnipeg who signs the player.

Hallelujah 

Exactly.  The nuts & bolts of how you do that I leave to people in a higher wage bracket than myself but at the end of the day the league has to guarantee the owners they approve for this business stand by their agreements with the players. 

There are going to be messy divorces to be sure, I just think its very bad optics if a start up league is stiffing entry level players.  Sends all sorts of wrong messages about the sort of professionalism the league wants to claim.  And it doesn't matter if 90% of the teams in the league never have an issue, they're all going to get painted with the same brush if someone does. 

7 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Exactly.  The nuts & bolts of how you do that I leave to people in a higher wage bracket than myself but at the end of the day the league has to guarantee the owners they approve for this business stand by their agreements with the players. 

There are going to be messy divorces to be sure, I just think its very bad optics if a start up league is stiffing entry level players.  Sends all sorts of wrong messages about the sort of professionalism the league wants to claim.  And it doesn't matter if 90% of the teams in the league never have an issue, they're all going to get painted with the same brush if someone does. 

If I might ask, where is your concern about this coming from? Unpaid contracts aren't exactly endemic in Canadian sport, and the owners are high calibre.