CPL General

2 minutes ago, SoccerCoach said:

Can you please give us a brief summary. I can't open it. I'm at work and the boss is walking around.

Out for TFC so can’t really until morning sorry lol. First thing though

One thing that just hit me now. The windfall for ownership of the CPL on the world cup coming is absolutely massive.

With all the owners in the CPL also being owners in C-SUM they were all literally just handed tens of millions of dollars today with the World Cup going to the United bid.

That in and of itself should goose up interest from potential owners in this league. It was a big, big, big deal for this league that they won this thing.

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

One thing that just hit me now. The windfall for ownership of the CPL on the world cup coming is absolutely massive.

With all the owners in the CPL also being owners in C-SUM they were all literally just handed tens of millions of dollars today with the World Cup going to the United bid.

That in and of itself should goose up interest from potential owners in this league. It was a big, big, big deal for this league that they won this thing.

How does the funding trickle down to the C-SUM entity?

Just now, youllneverwalkalone said:

How does the funding trickle down to the C-SUM entity?

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) C-Sum will now handle all media rights for National team events. The rights of a world cup in Canada with the national team in the big tourney versus a world cup in morocco in a weird time zone without the Canadian team is a major difference.

8 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) C-Sum will now handle all media rights for National team events. The rights of a world cup in Canada with the national team in the big tourney versus a world cup in morocco in a weird time zone without the Canadian team is a major difference.

So C-SUM would flip the TV rights to a local broadcaster? I'm just reading an article that this was the origin of SUM (although they ultimately lost money:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/01/25/sum-soccer-united-marketing-garber-gulati-carter

10 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

So C-SUM would flip the TV rights to a local broadcaster? I'm just reading an article that this was the origin of SUM (although they ultimately lost money:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/01/25/sum-soccer-united-marketing-garber-gulati-carter

Correct. If it functions like SUM and Traffic do, they sell the rights to broadcasters...and you'll get more aggressive bids from broadcasters if Canada is in the world cup and games will be on at prime time slots.

^ I'm excited to finally have an announcement for an official team, but I keep whispering this to myself in the hope it helps: 

Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, .....

Edited by maccaliam

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

^ I'm excited to finally have an announcement for an official team, but I keep whispering this to myself in the hope it helps: 

Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, Please don't call them Founders, .....

I have been ok with the names of the revealed clubs so far, I don't like Founders either, if it happens I'll still be a big supporter though!

9 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

...With all the owners in the CPL also being owners in C-SUM they were all literally just handed tens of millions of dollars today with the World Cup going to the United bid...

Tens of millions might be overstating things a bit given CSB would only be getting something along the lines of a 10% agent's fee, but it would still be substantial as long as the CMNT gets to be an automatic qualifier. Should happen in a 48 team format but I think that won't be confirmed for another two years. The other potential gold mine is what happens to the legacy fund left by World Cup profits. The USSF used the 1994 fund to help launch MLS. I suspect the CanPL owners will be anticipating similar generosity on the part of the CSA.

6 hours ago, gator said:

I have been ok with the names of the revealed clubs so far, I don't like Founders either, if it happens I'll still be a big supporter though!

I have been fine with the other names, but Founders really stands out as one im really unimpressed with. 

But as you say, of course no matter the name I will support - plus I am excited to introduce my son to the live game day experience too. Living in Grimsby, the commute to THF with a 4 year old means we will attend far more than we would have ever gone to TFC. 

If you listen carefully to David Clanachan's recent interview with TSN 1150, he hints that 7 teams will be announced with ONE he's holding back, which means that the CPL will kick start with 8-teams. No mention of a 10-team league (I could be wrong). I'm thinking that one of those teams could either be Ottawa or Quebec City. This means that one of these cities may not part of the CPL until 2020.

I could be wrong...Please listen to the interview again.

Edited by PJSweet

DC on AM650 https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/on-point/will-cpl-talent-pathway-lift-canada-another-world-cup/

-General talk on World Cup will mean for young players and the CPL

-Lots of the usual CPL media lines and stats

-WC helps the league by dialing up the intensity and interest in pro soccer.

-Looks like they’ll be in Vancouver Island, working on a couple of other BC teams, no timeline

-Will go back to announcements shortly after the WC

-When asked if would avoid Vancouver proper and go in suburbs like York 9, commended the MLS teams but said the league believes the cities can handle more than one club. 

-Asked about media, mentioned both traditional and non-traditional methods but nothing specific. Although speaking about hypotheticals sounded like it would be a mix 

21 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

If you listen carefully to David Clanachan's recent interview with TSN 1150, he hints that 7 teams will be announced with ONE he's holding back, which means that the CPL will kick start with 8-teams. No mention of a 10-team league (I could be wrong). I'm thinking that one of those teams could either be Ottawa or Quebec City. This means that one of these cities may not part of the CPL until 2020.

On it, give me 20 minutes lol

DC on AM 1150 https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/clanahan-you-re-going-to-see-soccer-really-find-its-stide-in-canada-1.1112014

-7 teams announced, 1 they are working on but haven’t announced, 3 clubs they have to get the identity out there (Vancouver Island, Hamilton and mystery team)

-CPL will capitalize, players are training harder since CPL announcement at lower levels and assumes will increase even more with 2026.  The soccer infrastructure benefit

-Talked over the importance of partnership with CSA, part of the original “strat plan” for the league

-Next for CPL, not competing with WC, finish announcing the teams identities, coaches and players through the summer.  Talked about starting a league from scratch and said 8-10 teams but “circling around 8”

-Rosters-number of different ways they’re looking at. Combination of draft, as well as protecting players from a certain region.  Wants to ensure the competition on the field is at the highest level

-Hamilton is announced second week of July, right out of the WC

-Put over how the marketing team and local supporters worked together to create the team identities and how they’ve been embraced by the local communities

43 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

He said 8 originally, near the end he said 8-10, but they are "circling around 8".  So in my opinion basically Vancouver Island,  Hamilton and the mystery team, while leaving the door slightly open for up to another possible 2 but most likely not 

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

DC on AM 1150 https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/clanahan-you-re-going-to-see-soccer-really-find-its-stide-in-canada-1.1112014

-7 teams announced, 1 they are working on but haven’t announced, 3 clubs they have to get the identity out there (Vancouver Island, Hamilton and mystery team)

-CPL will capitalize, players are training harder since CPL announcement at lower levels and assumes will increase even more with 2026.  The soccer infrastructure benefit

-Talked over the importance of partnership with CSA, part of the original “strat plan” for the league

-Next for CPL, not competing with WC, finish announcing the teams identities, coaches and players through the summer.  Talked about starting a league from scratch and said 8-10 teams but “circling around 8”

-Rosters-number of different ways they’re looking at. Combination of draft, as well as protecting players from a certain region.  Wants to ensure the competition on the field is at the highest level

-Hamilton is announced second week of July, right out of the WC

-Put over how the marketing team and local supporters worked together to create the team identities and how they’ve been embraced by the local communities

Do you get a gut feeling that the 8th "mystery" team that Clanachan is holding back could be Ottawa or Quebec City?

Edited by PJSweet

4 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

Do you get a gut feeling that the 8th "mystery" team that Clanachan is holding back could be Ottawa or Quebec City?

Not from anything he said.  No hints at all that I picked up.