CPL General

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Could be a case of different classifications of what constitutes a pro level job given playing in things like NPL Tasmania have been classified in that way by L1O on lists I have seen.

Probably, but I wonder if it's more simplified than that maybe? Like, are KW United only comparing themselves against how many L1O players go to MLS or USL? Are they counting anything outside of those leagues? Whatever Barry McLean's measurement is, it's hard to know how useful it is when he doesn't give the numbers.

15 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/deadspin.com/chart-the-average-player-salaries-in-soccer-leagues-ar-1658856283/amp

Article is from 2014 but just wondering where CPL would fit on this list. 100000 pounds converts to 176000 Canadian, which would be between Poland and Sweden. Although Poland only has 4 domestic players at the world Cup while Sweden has none. So would maybe need to have a higher average salary to attract national team level players. Excited to see where it ends up.

I wouldn't exactly trust that chart 100%. Some of the leagues have teams have 2 or 3 sides paying insane amounts above everyone else (I believe in Scotland some clubs pay about USL levels for some talent while Celtic are paying everyone in the 500k GBP range). I would question if Marcus Haber is making more than 100k GBP even with a league average of nearly double it.

I would say look at this piece on the pay gaps between the EPL, Championship, League One and League Two the Daily Mail did in 2016. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

It's typically been said that the CanMNT targets those in at least D3 between England and Germany. I would say CPL might be paying in the League Two range to start (maybe a little less) on average which should be enough to bring in some CanMNT or weaker CONCACAF NT talent on the higher end salaries.

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Luckily I don’t think basketball, hockey or lacrosse are worries as the seasons don’t run together or share facilities.  However, this CFL stuff is worrying.. I remember years ago reading about CFL looking to expand our east but not sure if this is the same group. I don’t think it would be sustainable but would certainly pull fans from the “we finally have a pro team” group.  Similar to how the new Vegas nfl team will most likely run over the golden knights for those fans. 

On 6/21/2018 at 9:43 AM, Stryker911 said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/deadspin.com/chart-the-average-player-salaries-in-soccer-leagues-ar-1658856283/amp

Article is from 2014 but just wondering where CPL would fit on this list. 100000 pounds converts to 176000 Canadian, which would be between Poland and Sweden. Although Poland only has 4 domestic players at the world Cup while Sweden has none. So would maybe need to have a higher average salary to attract national team level players. Excited to see where it ends up.

13 hours ago, matty said:

I wouldn't exactly trust that chart 100%. Some of the leagues have teams have 2 or 3 sides paying insane amounts above everyone else (I believe in Scotland some clubs pay about USL levels for some talent while Celtic are paying everyone in the 500k GBP range). I would question if Marcus Haber is making more than 100k GBP even with a league average of nearly double it.

I would say look at this piece on the pay gaps between the EPL, Championship, League One and League Two the Daily Mail did in 2016. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

It's typically been said that the CanMNT targets those in at least D3 between England and Germany. I would say CPL might be paying in the League Two range to start (maybe a little less) on average which should be enough to bring in some CanMNT or weaker CONCACAF NT talent on the higher end salaries.

We're dreaming if we think they're going to offer players anything in those ranges. I foresee the average salary being somewhere just below the South African league, which means we still shouldn't expect to see Canadian players coming back to Canada in droves unless they can make a lot more in CPL than where ever they are plying their trade now.

Assume a $1-1.5 million salary cap. For a 26-man roster, that averages to $38-57 thousand dollars per player. I'm sure that some Canadian players would jump at the chance to make that much at home, but others will probably make more playing in other leagues. Spectators shouldn't expect high-quality soccer and CPL would do well to temper expectations. Players that do show brilliance will be quickly sold off to MLS or Europe so I really don't see the player quality being much different than what I'm watching in Ottawa right now. But this is not a bad thing - a good coach with an entertaining system will go a long way to making it watchable. I'm thinking of the difference between what I've seen between the OFFC coaching reigns of Paul Dalglish and Nikola Popovic: the former had a plodding and uninspired style while the latter has the team playing interesting soccer, though both had roughly the same pool of players.

tl;dr - Choosing the players isn't the most important part, it's choosing the right coaches.

Edited by Initial B

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

We're dreaming if we think they're going to offer players anything in those ranges. I foresee the average salary being somewhere just below the South African league, which means we still shouldn't expect to see Canadian players coming back to Canada in droves unless they can make a lot more in CPL than where ever they are plying their trade now.

Assume a $1-1.5 million salary cap. For a 26-man roster, that averages to $38-57 thousand dollars per player. I'm sure that some Canadian players would jump at the chance to make that much at home, but others will probably make more playing in other leagues. Spectators shouldn't expect high-quality soccer and CPL would do well to temper expectations. Players that do show brilliance will be quickly sold off to MLS or Europe so I really don't see the player quality being much different than what I'm watching in Ottawa right now. But this is not a bad thing - a good coach with an entertaining system will go a long way to making it watchable. I'm thinking of the difference between what I've seen between the OFFC coaching reigns of Paul Dalglish and Nikola Popovic: the former had a plodding and uninspired style while the latter has the team playing interesting soccer, though both had roughly the same pool of players.

tl;dr - Choosing the players isn't the most important part, it's choosing the right coaches.

Yea so what I said when I said

15 hours ago, matty said:

...I would say CPL might be paying in the League Two range to start (maybe a little less) on average which should be enough to bring in some CanMNT or weaker CONCACAF NT talent on the higher end salaries.

League Two pays a little south of $70k I believe and a $1.5m salary cap over 25 guys (which is more than I actually think a roster will be by like 2-3 guys) is like $60k.

I don't get why you quoted me and acted like you were gonna disagree

Edited by matty

The straight salary vs European teams isn't always a perfect comparable, because cost of living in some countries could be considerably lower.  Conversely, we've also always heard horror stories of players having problems actually getting PAID by European clubs.  It's really going to vary by player.  I'd anticipate younger players who are already there and still think they can make it to a higher level won't be coming back regardless of salary, because their visibility to other European clubs would be greater by already being there.  Older players who might have already hit their peak or have already begun to consider coming back to Canada might be more enticed to do so, depending on what the salary is and how much choice they get in the club they return to.

Although Hamilton will be the CPL team I support, for a variety of reasons (personal rather than anything negative about CPL) I won't be buying season tickets. Other than one getting first crack at season's, are there any other benefits to becoming a member of a CPL club? I would become a member if there were such benefits as single ticket discounts, merchandise discounts, etc. Any news on this front?

32 minutes ago, RickC said:

Although Hamilton will be the CPL team I support, for a variety of reasons (personal rather than anything negative about CPL) I won't be buying season tickets. Other than one getting first crack at season's, are there any other benefits to becoming a member of a CPL club? I would become a member if there were such benefits as single ticket discounts, merchandise discounts, etc. Any news on this front?

I believe so but it’s been a bit since I looked. If you go on any of the clubs website there is a standard faq in the membership page with details 

Thanks Rheo, I had looked through a couple of the CPL team's websites but didn't go into the FAQ part of the Membership pages. Kind of obvious in retrospect. Valour states 15% discount on merchandise and Cavalry a number of benefits without specifics. 19 days and 4 hours until membership!

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

First player confirming entrance into the CPL draft 

While I don't really like the idea of a draft, I do understand the need for something like it to start the league off. On the brightside this is going to be crazy fun for the hardcore, doing mock drafts and such when the full list is released. Hoping to see some bigger names on it though, but I suspect the big names might hold out and be able to negotiate contracts with the team of their choosing, and this will be more for the Ferguson's, Boakai's, Gagnon-Lapare's, etc. young-ish guys who wont really be of high demand but could be in the 18, and are names the hardcore will know. The first round will probably have some pretty exciting players in it. 

Given the summer window is open at the moment over in Europe, this is when they need to be getting CMNT eligible players to commit, if they are going to be in at launch. If players like Calum Ferguson sign a contract for 2019 at this point with CanPL to go into a draft, I guess they can still be loaned out for the first half of the 2018-19 season in a UEFA context. I suspect it's the lure of a full-time contract that gets a part-time Scottish player with a mother who was born in Canada to sign on for something like this. It's probably the only chance he'll get to do it at this point of his career. I guess Charlie Trafford who the Press and Journal article is mainly about is still under contract with Inverness Caledonian Thistle for 2018-19? He will already be on a full-time contract there, so is more the kind of talent that CanPL needs to be able to attract back once he becomes available to be able to deliver a watchable entertainment product.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

From the now quiet Canadian Teams and League thread, I just liked this quote from TFC III coach Danny Dichio.   

June 23, 2018 League 1 Ontario Quarterfinal match 

Pro Stars FC    0   Toronto FC III   3   

my game report at:  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o117.htm

Dichio said he wants the players that played with TFCA to keep their love for the game

and continue to play. He said he'd love them to play in the new Canadian Premier League

and help the Canadian National team. Wow! Is he ever a contrast to TFC President

Bill Manning and his feelings comparing CanPrem in Toronto to competing pizza restaurants.

Very interesting interview with Rob Friend in the AFTN Soccer Show. He makes it quite clear that the potentials for a team in the lower mainland (Fraser Valley) are not dead yet. There could be a team by 2020. The interview starts at the 1:28 minutes.

https://playlist.citr.ca/podcasting/audio/2018/The-AFTN-Soccer-Show-June-24-23-01-00.mp3

Edited by PJSweet

3 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

Very interesting interview with Rob Friend. He makes it quite clear that the potentials for a team in the lower mainland (Fraser Valley) are not dead yet. There could be a team by 2020. The interview starts at the 1:28 minutes.

https://playlist.citr.ca/podcasting/audio/2018/The-AFTN-Soccer-Show-June-24-23-01-00.mp3

I'll have my full recap up in a bit, got half done

7 hours ago, PJSweet said:

Very interesting interview with Rob Friend in the AFTN Soccer Show. He makes it quite clear that the potentials for a team in the lower mainland (Fraser Valley) are not dead yet. There could be a team by 2020. The interview starts at the 1:28 minutes.

What the hell is Friend doing giving his opinion on a team in FV after bombing out and immigrating across the border into Victoria? I don't get it. I mean, shouldn't he be worried about his new team? Or does he think that as a former player with pretty well zero management experience, and not a lot of negotiating savvy, he is going to run two teams?

As I see it, if he goes to Victoria, then let an entirely new club and ownership group take over the attempt at the Lower Mainland. He can't be given an exclusive, not on principle, and not because he does not seem to have done a very good job.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What the hell is Friend doing giving his opinion on a team in FV after bombing out and immigrating across the border into Victoria?

Also Unamed Trialist, from the Victoria thread:

""...we cannot and will not support a bid imposed on us by outsiders..."

I think this sort of language is ridiculous, guys, get a grip.

Who the hell are you calling outsiders? Do you all have your Victoria passports ready? 

I mean, Victoria is already one of the whitest most WASP cities in Canada, and they are using this sort of xenophobic terminology?"

Maybe it's just me, but I find the double standard of language use here amusing. ?