CPL General

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Also added in the article according to Rejean Tremblay (his reputation is without question in Quebec in the sport world)

• Team rosters would be 80% Canadian
  • Coaches and adminitsrators must be Canadians
  • Fee to join the league is $3M
  • Avg of 6k is necessary to break even

My basic personal philosophy is any specific detail reported of league play/rules isn't official until the league confirms it.  I assume he got that info from research and not being fed information.  He also reported that Saskatoon is in and we haven't seen any indication that that's happening at all.  I could be wrong but I'm guessing it's just an honest research error and not something concrete that's now just getting out there.

27 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Also added in the article according to Rejean Tremblay (his reputation is without question in Quebec in the sport world)

• Team rosters would be 80% Canadian
  • Coaches and adminitsrators must be Canadians
  • Fee to join the league is $3M
  • Avg of 6k is necessary to break even

All of that sounds not good.

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Sounds like you are allowed 5 imports. That's still about half the starters when there are no injuries. The one that concerns me more is the break even. A league is only as stable as its weakest links.

They will be fine if there's a form of revenue sharing like the NHL

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

My basic personal philosophy is any specific detail reported of league play/rules isn't official until the league confirms it.  I assume he got that info from research and not being fed information.  He also reported that Saskatoon is in and we haven't seen any indication that that's happening at all.  I could be wrong but I'm guessing it's just an honest research error and not something concrete that's now just getting out there.

That was my take on this too...unfortunately I suspect people will take this and run with it as the latest info and draw broad assumptions based on it. 

1 minute ago, LAK said:

That was my take on this too...unfortunately I suspect people will take this and run with it as the latest info and draw broad assumptions based on it. 

Oh it's already happening here and Twitter.  What can you do lol

Are you guys aware that Saskatoon gets a mention in the Tremblay's QC article....Is this a slight blunder on Tremblay's part or he knows something that none of us are aware of and it has slipped accidentally. I do recall that CPL-Rumors did mention 2 months ago that Saskatoon is still in the running but needs to get their stadium deal settled with the city.

Edited by PJSweet

2 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

I am surprised that Saguneay and Sherbrooke are mentioned. 

Could be a mistake in the translation from Google but it sounded like Saguneay was approaching the league interested and Sherbrooke was a market they were targeting besides Quebec City

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Could be a mistake in the translation from Google but it sounded like Saguneay was approaching the league interested and Sherbrooke was a market they were targeting besides Quebec City

That's correct. Saguenay is interested and the league wants Sherbrooke.

Saguenay is more fit for CPL II I would think

I'm also assuming at least some of the information in the Quebec article is incorrect. But, I do disagree with all non-playing personnel having to be Canadian. I'd much rather it be, say, 4-out-of-6 of Pres, GM, Head Coach, Asst Coach, GK Coach, Fitness Coach must be Canadian. It's good to get ideas/methods from outside of our little area to help build the quality of our personnel and make them compete for jobs against a wider pool of applicants. It's somewhat the same idea as allowing some foreign players, other than the monetary aspect of keeping overall salary expenses down.

I don't remember seeing in any CPL info anything about referees. This is a crucial aspect to the Canadian game that very much needs developing. Regional schools for officials, paid by CPL? Something must be done here, otherwise half of the game comments will be about the poor officiating.

1 hour ago, Impactsupporter said:

I am surprised that Saguneay and Sherbrooke are mentioned.  I could see them in the PLSQ (Quebec league) however, not sure about CPL.

Chicoutimi-Saguenay has 160,000 people in its urban area, but has close to 220,000 if you include the catch basin around the city in Lac-Saint-Jean area (Roberval, Alma, Saint-Félicien, etc…). It may seem pedantic, but outside of the Pyramid de Ha! Ha! There is really nothing to do. A professional sporting team in the summer will be a welcome distraction, and the region does draw a boatload of tourists. If Saskatoon or Regina are being considered, there is really no reason to not include Saguenay. They’re roughly the same size, and this one has the added benefit of being close to larger Québec markets. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

That's correct. Saguenay is interested and the league wants Sherbrooke.

Saguenay is more fit for CPL II I would think

Both Sherbrooke and Saguenay are pretty large comparatively. Including their wider 1-hour catch basin population (which we do on this board for whatever reason) they’re the same size as Regina or Saskatoon. I don’t think getting 6,000 in either city for a 5-6 games would be a stretch. Sustaining that level of interest might take some work, however.  

Likewise, if we DO go with pro/rel, any city could be a CanPL I team or a CanPL II team.      

Artificially designating any prospective city as second division is just stupid (no offense meant, not personal)  Second division if it happens, isn't happening for years.  And as @ChrisinOrleanssaid with pro/rel there is no division status based on size or population, just on performance and for when they get in.  

As a side, not sure if the stadium in Saguenay is in play but damn that's a nice complex when you include the wood arena 

http://www.woodinbuildings.com/en/projects/arena-and-service-building-universite-du-quebec-a-chicoutimi-uqac-arena-and-service-building-uqac

Image result for Arena and service building, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC)

image.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Artificially designating any prospective city as second division is just stupid (no offense meant, not personal)  Second division if it happens, isn't happening for years.  And as @ChrisinOrleanssaid with pro/rel there is no division status based on size or population, just on performance and for when they get in.  

As a side, not sure if the stadium in Saguenay is in play but damn that's a nice complex when you include the wood arena 

http://www.woodinbuildings.com/en/projects/arena-and-service-building-universite-du-quebec-a-chicoutimi-uqac-arena-and-service-building-uqac

Image result for Arena and service building, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC)

image.jpeg

The university is awesome. Great location too, not too far from the main drag and "downtown".  

54 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Both Sherbrooke and Saguenay are pretty large comparatively. Including their wider 1-hour catch basin population (which we do on this board for whatever reason) they’re the same size as Regina or Saskatoon. I don’t think getting 6,000 in either city for a 5-6 games would be a stretch. Sustaining that level of interest might take some work, however.  

Likewise, if we DO go with pro/rel, any city could be a CanPL I team or a CanPL II team.

Sherbrooke economy might be more desirable to the league than Saguenay. I know someone who sells Mutual Funds across Canada and she confirmed to me that there was lots of financial $$$ in Sherbrooke. That might be why Sherbrooke and Quebec are being targeted first

On 6/9/2018 at 7:49 PM, matty said:

So the teams are franchises and the owners own the intellectual properties...so this is sorta like MLS.

?

I'd say its pretty unlike MLS. MLS owners own a share in the league and have the right to operate a team. MLS operates under a single-entity structure in which teams, IP's, and player contracts are centrally owned by the league. MLS owners are basically owner operators of a business unit in their market, comparable to McDonalds outlets some would and have said.

CPL it seems is following a more traditional model where the franchises/clubs are independent clubs, a model that is basically completely different from the single entity MLS.

46 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

?

I'd say its pretty unlike MLS. MLS owners own a share in the league and have the right to operate a team. MLS operates under a single-entity structure in which teams, IP's, and player contracts are centrally owned by the league. MLS owners are basically owner operators of a business unit in their market, comparable to McDonalds outlets some would and have said.

CPL it seems is following a more traditional model where the franchises/clubs are independent clubs, a model that is basically completely different from the single entity MLS.

Franchises where owners buy into the league and own the club IP. Until something official is released saying different or expanding that is closer to MLS than a European league.

The fact the word being used is franchise hints at something closer to MLS as well.

Edited by matty

8 hours ago, Rheo said:

image.jpeg

Is that where they film that tv show 21 thunder? 

Also I think the Canadian content rumours are too high if true.  I’ve never heard of a league where all personnel must be domestic.. it’s a bad idea to not bring outside influences to help us grow.  Even in hockey which we excel at that would be dumb. Ditto to 80% Canadians!! Recipe for failure.. wouldn’t work in hockey and DEFINITELY won’t work for a Canadian soccer league that wants 6k fans a game.

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

Is that where they film that tv show 21 thunder? 

Also I think the Canadian content rumours are too high if true.  I’ve never heard of a league where all personnel must be domestic.. it’s a bad idea to not bring outside influences to help us grow.  Even in hockey which we excel at that would be dumb. Ditto to 80% Canadians!! Recipe for failure.. wouldn’t work in hockey and DEFINITELY won’t work for a Canadian soccer league that wants 6k fans a game.

The 80% thing is still speculation, but if true, it’s just a matter of perspective / spin. On a 25-man roster, that would mean up to  5 imports, and if they all start, that’s 45% foreign content. Sounding better?

13 hours ago, matty said:

The fact the word being used is franchise hints at something closer to MLS as well.

Not really. The NHL has franchises but has a league structure much closer to traditional soccer leagues than MLS

All franchises means is that the league is closed (ie stake holders vote on who is admitted into the pyramid, you don't get automatic entry by virtue of existing) and there may be an entrance fee involved. It doesn't imply single entity

If CPL owners retain their own IP, that already indicates a step away from single entity. 

Edited by Complete Homer