CPL General

If we really get to a situation with two divisions, and promotion, then it'd be absolutely amazing.

You could make it 8 and 8. The first eight start in first tier, and get a guaranteed period of years in top flight. The second 8 come into the league with the incentive to promote. 

But hey, I have no idea if this division business is conceived in terms of promotion and relegation. Is it?

I agree with the people that are surprised Hamilton won’t be announced before the World Cup. Hopefully that doesn’t mean there will be no advertising along with the World Cup. Maybe they just won’t specify teams in advertisements just yet.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:04 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

There is no reason for a CPL bid to contact the regional soccer federation. Or even really say anything to the QSA. At least in the early negotiating stage. The important sanctioning factor is the CSA, who are behind it. I think the guy believes that if pro soccer were coming to QC, he'd know about it. When maybe he would not.

You're totally right. The guy's acting like he owns the place anyhow. The potential CPL club's business is with CPL and the CSA first and foremost I would think 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

So the teams are franchises and the owners own the intellectual properties...so this is sorta like MLS.

Funny that is was also just a few days ago I mentioned 14 teams for pro/rel and now that's the 'official number'. Kinda dumb

Edited by matty

GAME CHANGER?

Translation:

The Concacaf Champions League could change format for 2020

The tournament would have 8 GROUPS OF 4 teams

3 more places will be added to Canada because they already have a professional league that will start in 2019

The Caribbean will receive 1 more

The Remaining 4 slots will be given to center America in pre-qualifying rounds just like one of Canada will define this, one will be for the concacaf league champion

The Concacaf League will expand and it will be like the South American cup
There is talk of making the concacaf cup cup winner (Supercopa) between the Champions League Champions and the concacaf league

The Recopa would be for 2019 or 2020 and would be played in the United States

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

GAME CHANGER?

Translation:

3 more places will be added to Canada because they already have a professional league that will start in 2019

The Remaining 4 slots will be given to center America in pre-qualifying rounds just like one of Canada will define this, one will be for the concacaf league champion

There is talk of making the concacaf cup cup winner (Supercopa) between the Champions League Champions and the concacaf league

how good a source is Fútbol de las Américas?

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

GAME CHANGER?

Translation:

My understanding:

• USA, Mexico, Canada = 4 teams
  • CONCACAF will go the route of UEFA -- CCL=Champions League & CL= Europa
  • CPL would get 2 spots straight to Champions League and the 3rd overall would go to Champions League Qualification
  • Unknown if additional CL spots would go to CCL. CSA would have final say.

Hope this is true... That would be MUCH MORE like it

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

GAME CHANGER?

Translation:

Where can the original article be found?

9 hours ago, matty said:

Funny that is was also just a few days ago I mentioned 14 teams for pro/rel and now that's the 'official number'. Kinda dumb

I don't see how pro/rel between two divisions is viable at anything less than 8-8 in division number terms, so all he is probably saying with that is that it only becomes an issue when they are close to that numerically. Think this is probably just a stock answer they come up with to stop the zealots on this particular issue from hassling them all the time. How many owners who have paid a franchise fee to enter this league are going to vote to relegate themselves or risk doing so in future?

Regarding pro/rel, I think something that Clanachan said got missed a month or two ago. He said when they reached 16 teams they would stop taking new expansion teams while they gather the requisite number of D2 teams to launch, which is a bit different than earlier reports of splitting in two once they hit 16. That's hitting 16, waiting for the minimum additional clubs (8?) to be ready to launch, then have a two tier system

That makes more sense if they are talking about a possible 12-14 team first division. I don't think anyone thinks it's reasonable for 12 teams to split into two divisions

I would suspect these are still ongoing discussions with nothing set in stone, but I don't think the "splitting" part was confirmed

Edited by Complete Homer

Heading down to the Canada-Germany CWNT game today at THF.  Can't wait to see the atmosphere with a sellout crowd and imagine what it might be like seeing Founders FC play to a sellout vs TFC in Voyageurs Cup or Club America or Tigres in CONCACAF Champion's League!  Or just crushing Kitchener-Waterloo in some future Derby to clinch the CanPL title!

Quebec moves http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/06/11/on-veut-quebec-dans-la-canadian-premier-league?utm_sources=j5_app&utm_mediums=social&share_article=share_article

All from Google translate but notes

• Tom Moser (in charge of financial development) has met with Marcel Aubut and Alain April/Jacques Tanguay group about Quebec City
  • Mandate to get two teams in the province, « La ville de Québec est notre objectif premier. C’est la capitale et en plus, on sait que c’est un excellent marché pour le sport », a expliqué Moser.
  • But also looking at Sherbrooke and there's a group in Saguenay interested as well
Edited by Rheo

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Quebec moves http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/06/11/on-veut-quebec-dans-la-canadian-premier-league?utm_sources=j5_app&utm_mediums=social&share_article=share_article

• Tom Moser (in charge of financial development) has met with Marcel Aubut and Alain April/Jacques Tanguay group about Quebec City
  • Mandate to get two teams in the province, « La ville de Québec est notre objectif premier. C’est la capitale et en plus, on sait que c’est un excellent marché pour le sport », a expliqué Moser.
  • But also looking at Sherbrooke and there's a group in Saguenay interested as well

This is all excellent news. I’ve mentioned before that there won’t be marquee French coverage without a Québec team. Side note, the lack of French coverage from CanPL is kind of sad. Especially for the Winnipeg announcement. Getting that media market involved is basically reaching out to 10-million people.

Good that they have somebody named that is interested in Quebec City now. Suspect the membership numbers that have been emerging from Winnipeg will have got a few people seeing dollar signs before their eyes like a cartoon character. The problem remains where they would play as the Rouge et Or might not want a tenant and have permanently marked fieldturf inside an athletics track. A franchise fee of $3 million is info I have not seen before. The metro area population of Sherbrooke is 210,000 while Saguenay is around 160,000. Interesting that they rate a mention while Laval does not. Interest in the outer suburbia of the MLS markets seems to have cooled a bit since York 9's launch.

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Also added in the article according to Rejean Tremblay (his reputation is without question in Quebec in the sport world)

• Team rosters would be 80% Canadian
  • Coaches and adminitsrators must be Canadians
  • Fee to join the league is $3M
  • Avg of 6k is necessary to break even