CPL General

5 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

What does region protection mean? Youth catchment areas like with MLS?

Lately they've been big in pushing the idea of local heroes for the clubs when doing media and launch events.  Making it more and more a part of the League narrative   They haven't said anything concrete more than what I recapped.

I'm just guessing here, but in the early days of the league at least, teams will have the option to claim a certain number guys that either played or were born in their area. 

I'm guessing early days because they have said previously that they want to be a traditional system with free movement but the need to make sure the league is established will have them using this and the draft he mentioned for the first few seasons

Also let me repeat, this is just my guess based on what League officials have said now and in the past.  Just a theory.

16 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

What does region protection mean? Youth catchment areas like with MLS?

Suspect it will be some variant of the Home Grown Player concept that MLS has, maybe with less of a residential academy component given how expensive that is. From a CSA standpoint having things set up from the outset so there is an incentive to develop your own players by working with local youth clubs rather than simply importing lots of marginal talents from overseas to fill out a roster would be a good move.

2 hours ago, admin said:

Keep pounding the Founders name.  I don't think it's set in stone (er steel rather).

At some point though we really need to switch gears and quit complaining.

Complain when your grandchildren have season tickets.   

My plan is to complain about the Founders name until it's announced, at which point I will tell everyone that FOUNDERS IS THE BEST NAME POSSIBLE AND ALL OTHER NAMES ARE GARBAGE.

2 hours ago, PJSweet said:

Do you get a gut feeling that the 8th "mystery" team that Clanachan is holding back could be Ottawa or Quebec City?

There's two options that I see as to why they'd hold back an announcement:

1) The team is ready to go but it's not in the league/team's interest to announce right now.  This could either be to generate hype later on, or to not interfere with an ongoing season.  The obvious example here would be OFFC.

2) The team is not ready to go, but they're working on it and expect it to be ready for next season.  This would be an ambitious expectation considering the delays we've seen so far.  This option would imply a team starting from scratch, ie. QC.

If it were option 2, and team #8 were up in the air, I expect we'd be hearing about a 7-8 team launch.  Considering that most comments seem to be about a "minimum 8 team launch" - implying that team #8 is ready to go but just not announced - I'd lean far more towards option 1.

As things stand right now there are only 5 teams announced and accepting membership payments for 2019, which is not what we were told should be the case by now, but shouldn't have come as a shock given how difficult it is to put something like this together and how much they still needed to do on finding/negotiating viable stadium leases. Why would Ottawa announce they are changing leagues before the other seven are firmly in place, especially when they still have a lot of tickets to sell in the league they are in and after their recent good run of form (good news for CanPL on what's doable given their heavy domestic content) probably still have a shot at making it to the playoffs? This saga will probably drag on into the Fall and that gives time for the likes of St John's to still potentially enter the mix.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

It is actually very responsible to do a cut-off and not let themselves be drawn in by possible interest from other teams indefinitely.

There has to be a stopping rule, you draw a line and go with what you have.

While it does not fully incorporate the state of the art (new clubs raring to go, and competent to do so, new owner groups emerging, latecomers with good bids, and maybe better but late-arriving sponsors), it makes it possible to work for a longer period more diligently and accurately with what you have. You set out the overall league budget and fixed costs earlier, so your revenue goals are clearer and are not fluctuating. You have more stable and consistent club meetings with the same faces, you can do numbers better (like for scheduling, reffing needs, travelling projections). You avoid a new team coming in late to a region and interfering with a previous club's roster building.

You are also, in a way, awarding those who got their act together earlier. And you raise the tension about expansion more sharply from day one, since by the time your 8-team league is ready to roll you have a few other groups out there wanting in, and looking in jealously from the outside. 

I recognize that in terms of doing business, it is wise.

IMO Ottawa is definitely holding out strategically.. as mentioned you want to keep the interest in your season going, it’s not like you’re qnnohncing moving up to MLS but rather an equivalent sort of league.  But also I think it may have to do with strategy regarding their players, they have obviously built up a Canadian lineup not just by chance but knowing that next year could be in CPL and I’d imagine the league won’t want a team with such a competitive advantage out of the gates.

I say let them keep all their Canadians.. there are a lot more quality guys out there for the other teams.  

I'm really bored out of my tree here at work, so I decided to make my own predictions for the teams coming into the CPL for 2019:

1. York
  2. Calgary
  3. Halifax
  4. Winnipeg
  5. Edmonton
  6. Hamilton
  7. Victoria
  8. Ottawa

Now here are my predictions for expansion for 2020:

• Quebec City
  • Saskatoon
  • Surrey, B.C.
  • Regina

There will be NO 9th or 10th team for 2019. Instead, there will be expansions of 4 teams for 2020. Any thoughts or suggestions. Let me know your predictions. Rheo, Gopherbashi or BBTB, what are your predictions?

Edited by PJSweet

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

As things stand right now there are only 5 teams announced and accepting membership payments for 2019, which is not what we were told should be the case by now

I’m pretty sure that you know Hamilton and Victoria are going to happen. There’s not a real risk there.  There’s 7 for sure teams right now and a couple others in various stages of development that haven’t been publicly confirmed for good reason.

If Ottawa is the 8th team they probably don’t want to announce it until their season goes later.  They also have the least amount of work to do.  They have a roster, fans and stadium already so it’s no big deal if they’re announced later.

Edited by baulderdash77

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m pretty sure that you know Hamilton and Victoria are going to happen.  There’s not a real risk there.  There’s 7 for sure teams right now and a couple others that haven’t been publicly confirmed.

If Ottawa is the 8th team they probably don’t want to announce it until their season goes later.  They also have the least amount of work to do.  They have a roster, fans and stadium already so it’s no big deal if they’re announced later.

Shhhhhhhh you'll ruin his narrative :)

I was thinking all #CanPL Supporters start a Social Media wave and target high profile people and businesses to lend their support/endorsement and help each club reach a designated number of memberships.

For example: City, Provincial and Federal politicians. Chambers of Commerce, Sports stores, amateur clubs, celebrities, athletes, news and media personnel. We all ask them to tweet/post and help us reach a set goal. For Valour FC, I think 3,500 memberships before the end of the World Cup is doable.

It has to be an orchestrated effort on our part to make a list of possible targets that could help drive awareness and enthusiasm. 

Another idea:

Perhaps we can organize a Nationwide Soccer Saturday tournament (local teams in each #CanPL city) all play a local tournament where it serves as a drive to sell memberships. Have local and national media cover it. On the last weekend before the World Cup Final.

18 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

So C-SUM would flip the TV rights to a local broadcaster? I'm just reading an article that this was the origin of SUM (although they ultimately lost money:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/01/25/sum-soccer-united-marketing-garber-gulati-carter

The marketing arm is CSB, not C-SUM.

Also, the North American television rights for 2026 have already been awarded. FIFA extended their agreement with FOX and CTV from 2022 to 2026 so they wouldn't be sued for changing the dates of the 2022 World Cup from Summer to Winter 

1 hour ago, PJSweet said:

There will be NO 9th or 10th team for 2019. Instead, there will be expansions of 4 teams for 2020. Any thoughts or suggestions. Let me know your predictions. Rheo, Gopherbashi or BBTB, what are your predictions?

Think if Surrey, Regina, Saskatoon and the one you didn't mention, K/W, were likely to be sorted out soon something would have surfaced by now because they were in there trying to get it to work from quite early on. Instead, the Fraser Valley group has now moved onto Victoria and both Joe Belan and Barry Maclean have been quiet for quite a while now having previously been among the most visible of the would be investors. Next up after the anticipated eight to get to the 10 that David Clanachan mentions I suspect would be St John's because they have a local soccer association managed soccer specific stadium in place and there appear to be reasonably credible rumours that something is being actively explored there, and a province of Quebec team of some description because that's a void they will badly want to fill, and on the bright side there finally appear to be people there that are interested. Saguenay and Sherbrooke both look like a bit of a stretch to me as the francophone market you would try to start with, so I'd hazard a guess of Quebec City.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, PJSweet said:

• Quebec City
  • Saskatoon
  • Surrey, B.C.
  • Regina

I am thinking that after Friend's group  could not work it out with the Fraser Valley, it may take longer to rebuild the project in Greater Vancouver. Either they did not handle it right (which in fact makes me worried about this particular ownership group), or the municipalities did not have the vision, not sure. But it is not clear that someone completely different is going to be able to start from scratch and do better on the heels of such a disappointing rejection.

What is odd, however, is that no municipality would be thinking about using their neighbour's rejection as a way to rebound into success, but this is Vancouver, the navel gazing and lack of vision is chronic.

5 hours ago, PJSweet said:

I'm really bored out of my tree here at work, so I decided to make my own predictions for the teams coming into the CPL for 2019:

1. York
  2. Calgary
  3. Halifax
  4. Winnipeg
  5. Edmonton
  6. Hamilton
  7. Victoria
  8. Ottawa

• Quebec City
  • Saskatoon
  • Surrey, B.C.
  • Regina

St-John? Moncton?
I think in the first years, there will be a team in Montreal

10 hours ago, PJSweet said:

Do you get a gut feeling that the 8th "mystery" team that Clanachan is holding back could be Ottawa or Quebec City?

It’s Ottawa for sure IMO. There must be a reason within USL that they can’t announce at this time. FC Edmonton may have had the same issue if the NASL limped on another year. It’s clearly a better business model for any smaller pro Canadian club. 

6 hours ago, PJSweet said:

1. York
  2. Calgary
  3. Halifax
  4. Winnipeg
  5. Edmonton
  6. Hamilton
  7. Victoria
  8. Ottawa

• Quebec City
  • Saskatoon
  • Surrey, B.C.
  • Regina

I think the Saskatchewan supporters groups recently posted to FB - or perhaps a tweet can't recall - that Belan was working for a 2020 or 2021 entry. Now, i'm not in the know at all, but I'm more pessimistic. Joe Belan seems pretty committed to the idea that the stadium should be downtown as part of his business plan. I am not sure that will come to fruition in either Regina or Saskatoon.

In Saskatoon the parcel he looked at has two others also interested, one of whom is promoting an arena and convention centre. It comes with a $200 millions cost, and very little funding - maybe 10% as the owner of the Saskatoon Rush offered up $20 millions but I am not aware of any other committed cash. Sounds like a non-starter right? Well, a downtown arena has been a consistent (pipe) dream for at least 38 years. And a convention centre is like crack cocaine to small city council's who all too readily channel visions of economic rewards of larger conventions coming to town and typically over rate the attractiveness of the City as a whole to convention planners. So while this proposal will never come about (thankfully because it is a con job and only the gullible would go for it), the parcel of land will be effectively frozen for the next 5-10 years, before we finally move on. The City wont be unhappy about that because they can save the cost of moving the yards, while still fooling themselves that they are being active. The province has screwed them financially, so they'll be happy to postpone the expenditure.

I'm not as familiar with circumstances in Regina, but the City did stump up some cash for the new Mosaic Stadium, and they too have been screwed by the province. So anything that might require municipal cash or uncompensated asset transfer is going to be a tough sell. Regina's Council has always been more willing to spend money when they see a value to the community - certainly considerably more so than Saskatoon - I am just not sure they are in a position to do so after Mosaic. And I don't think there is any parcel of land available that fits the criteria other than the former Taylor Field grounds. If that is not available to Joe  Belan, I don't know where else he could go. Feel free to chime in Regina folks!

I do think there is another option in Saskatoon - and it has been proposed already as a temporary site. Prairieland Park and the adjacent Diefenbaker Park would be very viable spots in my opinion. Since Circle drive became an actual circle, it is easy to access from anywhere in the city, and really, if it was more than a 15 minute drive from anywhere in the city it would mean someone was a feather foot. Also, because major events are held there, public transit could easily be marshaled on Game days (as occurs during exhibition week, Canada Day and occasional other events that occur in the area). 

I do hope I am way off on all of this, and am very pleased with CPL progressing as it has. I am just not as sure that Saskatchewan will be part of it anytime soon.

CP Rail sold most of its rail yard operation to the City of Regina.  It has been proposed by the City that this area would be ideal for condos, a movie theatre, perhaps a new central library due to its location immediately north of downtown.  It was the initial suggested site for mosaic stadium, before CP hung on to a small portion making it too small.  Perfect location along Regina's bar district with a proposed pedestrian link to downtown, but Belan seemed to give up on Regina early in the process.

A little bit off topic, but man it would be awesome if CPL got a deal with TSN. I'm watching CFL opening night tonight, in Valour FC's stadium no less. Their CFL product is amazing. They push the product a ton and their Thursday Night Football production is awesome. They even have a TNF theme song in the form of "Long Live the Night" by The Reklaws, with some lyrical changes to make it football related, but its very clearly the top 10 country hit. Similar to HNIC's Nickleback theme. 

30 minutes ago, BradMack said:

A little bit off topic, but man it would be awesome if CPL got a deal with TSN. I'm watching CFL opening night tonight, in Valour FC's stadium no less. Their CFL product is amazing. They push the product a ton and their Thursday Night Football production is awesome. They even have a TNF theme song in the form of "Long Live the Night" by The Reklaws, with some lyrical changes to make it football related, but its very clearly the top 10 country hit. Similar to HNIC's Nickleback theme. 

HNIC’s theme song is from Nickelback now?!?! ?