CPL General

39 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Not really. The NHL has franchises but has a league structure much closer to traditional soccer leagues than MLS

All franchises means is that the league is closed (ie stake holders vote on who is admitted into the pyramid, you don't get automatic entry by virtue of existing) and there may be an entrance fee involved. It doesn't imply single entity

If CPL owners retain their own IP, that already indicates a step away from single entity. 

the nhl is closer to mls than any euro league (eg sharing money)

i'm not saying single entity and i'm sick of everyone implying that if you say something is like mls it's single entity with loads of weird mystery rules

Edited by matty

29 minutes ago, matty said:

the nhl is closer to mls than any euro league (eg sharing money)

i'm not saying single entity and i'm sick of everyone implying that if you say something is like mls it's single entity with loads of weird mystery rules

Some European leagues have mechanisms for revenue sharing 

The defining characteristic of a single entity model is ownership. If owners actually own their individual clubs and its IP, and buy into the shared revenue stream (CSB), that has substantial implications for clubs vs single entity. They maintain much more control but have more individual risk, the league has less control but isn't necessarily failing if some clubs are deep in the red (as long as they keep the necessary # of clubs) 

We don't know all the details, but using the word franchise just means it's a closed league, not much else. That's just a small step towards what MLS is without single entity. That's not a critique of the funky rules, it's just a question of the competitive nature of the league and the level of autonomy of their franchises 

Edited by Complete Homer

36 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Some European leagues have mechanisms for revenue sharing 

The defining characteristic of a single entity model is ownership. If owners actually own their individual clubs and its IP, and buy into the shared revenue stream (CSB), that has substantial implications for clubs vs single entity. They maintain much more control but have more individual risk, the league has less control but isn't necessarily failing if some clubs are deep in the red (as long as they keep the necessary # of clubs) 

We don't know all the details, but using the word franchise just means it's a closed league, not much else. That's just a small step towards what MLS is without single entity. That's not a critique of the funky rules, it's just a question of the competitive nature of the league and the level of autonomy of their franchises 

my annoyance isn't with you but with a few people on the subject. i'd just want to point out that they don't seem to own the club itself just the IP (based on that tweet). a lot more needs to come out, my comment is more a reply to the sizable push by fans (and even some of the league itself) to sell the league as "classical european" that this is the anti-mls based on minimal info. 

Edited by matty

20 minutes ago, matty said:

my annoyance isn't with you but with a few people on the subject. i'd just want to point out that they don't seem to own the club itself just the IP (based on that tweet). a lot more needs to come out, my comment is more a reply to the sizable push by fans (and even some of the league itself) to sell the league as "classical european" that this is the anti-mls based on minimal info. 

Well most information we have gotten so far has either alluded to the fact or outright stated the CPL will resemble more akin to a traditional European league than MLS. This Quebec article is the so far the only one that's splashed cold water in a different direction. I'm withholding judgment.

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

Well most information we have gotten so far has either alluded to the fact or outright stated the CPL will resemble more akin to a traditional European league than MLS. This Quebec article is the so far the only one that's splashed cold water in a different direction. I'm withholding judgment.

that's fine but the league has never been "firm" on how stuff is done and it's always kind of been taken on faith what sort of league it is very soon answers need to revealed properly partly cause everyone hates the secrecy of mls in the main fan community. they likely could have come out prior to all these teams.

7 hours ago, matty said:

Franchises where owners buy into the league and own the club IP. Until something official is released saying different or expanding that is closer to MLS than a European league.

The fact the word being used is franchise hints at something closer to MLS as well

MLS owner operators don't own the ip, the league does. The term Franchise by no means equates to CPL being closer to MLS. Various leagues refer to their teams as franchises but they are vastly different than single entity modeled MLS in that franchises, players, ip,  are actually owned by the owner, not the league.

32 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

MLS owner operators don't own the ip, the league does. The term Franchise by no means equates to CPL being closer to MLS. Various leagues refer to their teams as franchises but they are vastly different than single entity modeled MLS in that franchises, players, ip,  are actually owned by the owner, not the league.

stop equating what i said to single entity when i merely said it might be closer to mls than previously believed.

the leagues that use franchises are not typically in the soccer world and many of those leagues are closer to mls than say ligue 1. god you mention cpl POSSIBLY being closer mls than previously believed and everyone tries to discredit for literally no reason. like shit other "news" has happened since why the fuck does this matter?

I don’t know to much. But I do know that the players and coaches will be owned by individual teams which is the important thing. As well, i think it’s likely that the league will share some revenues like sponsors (for example airline). But I think fees to enter the league and slight revenue sharing is where the Franchise thing ends. I think sponsorships are an important thing to share revenues in. But from what I hear, the “franchises” will behave mostly like clubs in terms of contracts, player development and such. I think it is a very good balance.

I've always had the opposite view, personally. Having a league-wide deal ensures a certain consistency in terms of the quality of the merchandise, whereas the NASL-style approach led to some great kits and some that were just ugly and cheap. I'm all for individuality in terms of the designs, but I'd rather see one big contract that brings in a lot of money for the league and ensures quality items than a bunch of piece-meal agreements. Just my two cents.

32 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I've always had the opposite view, personally. Having a league-wide deal ensures a certain consistency in terms of the quality of the merchandise, whereas the NASL-style approach led to some great kits and some that were just ugly and cheap. I'm all for individuality in terms of the designs, but I'd rather see one big contract that brings in a lot of money for the league and ensures quality items than a bunch of piece-meal agreements. Just my two cents.

I guess it depends on the supplier. I hope it's Under Armor, I like the brand's quality and overall kit designs.

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

I hope they don’t do a league wide deal.. I get it but it would be better visually to have teams pick their own.  We seem to be on a track of individual teams so why put them in cookie cutter kits? 

With an entity like this starting out of the gates you likely attract a bigger deal if it's a league wide deal. If I had to guess I imagine they're doing this at a number of levels. 

I hate to be anti-small business guy but I think this is a bigger deal than some people on here may think. If it's a small supplier—no matter how great the kits they make are—alot of people in the general public are going to see this league as suddenly less-than. If it's a supplier like Nike that brings a serious level of credibility to the league and becomes a bigger PR story for people who still think this could be a not-so-pro league.

How big is the deal likely to be if they are not on TSN or Sportsnet regularly? Think people need to temper their expectations a bit. This league is likely to be viewed by sponsors and large companies as Canada's de facto D2 regardless of how it is sanctioned given the lion's share of the mainstream media interest is still going to be with MLS. The good news today from a CSB standpoint was 2026 the hosting if the CMNT ultimately gets to be an automatic qualifier, because handling team related sponsorship deals in the build up to that could be lucrative and that gives investors another reason to hang in there, if the going gets tough.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

How big is the deal likely to be if they are not on TSN or Sportsnet regularly? Think people need to temper their expectations a bit. This league is likely to be viewed by sponsors and large companies as Canada's de facto D2 regardless of how it is sanctioned given the lion's share of the mainstream media interest is still going to be with MLS. The good news today from a CSB standpoint was 2026 the hosting if the CMNT ultimately gets to be an automatic qualifier, because handling team related sponsorship deals in the build up to that could be lucrative and that gives investors another reason to hang in there, if the going gets tough.

I can't speak to how big it'll be, but you're always going to attract bigger deals from more established companies if you package your league all together rather than ask companies to chase down single team agreements.