CPL General

My guess is they view it best to sit out the World Cup (so far) assuming most things would get buried outside of the hardcore CPL supporters.  That's why there's no team announcements until post Cup.  There's been a few random things here and there I've noticed (the PB interview on the Valour website yesterday, Brennan has been out in the York region, FC Edmonton has been active on Twitter) 

I found this telling on the PB interview when asked about marketing and brought up the Supporters groups

• Those groups build something you can’t manufacture. I could buy ads, I could put up billboards, but that’s not the same as the passion that exists in the hearts and minds of soccer supporters across the country.

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I found this telling on the PB interview when asked about marketing and brought up the Supporters groups

• Those groups build something you can’t manufacture. I could buy ads, I could put up billboards, but that’s not the same as the passion that exists in the hearts and minds of soccer supporters across the country.

I get what he's saying, but supporters can't and shouldn't be expected to carry that much water for the league. I'm open to hoping that you're right as per their marketing strategy post WC, but I can't help but worry that it's a missed opportunity.

I'm sure WC ads are expensive but there's something to be said about putting your full weight behind something when the fulcrum is in the optimal position. 

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Deep dive on what happened to KW United including CPL and L1

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/what-happened-to-kw-united-fc/

Before Nathan gets mauled for this by people with stronger opinions on this, I want to point out that Nathan went to decent lengths in an entirely unpaid capacity to talk with all relevant parties and be as fair as possible 

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

I get what he's saying, but supporters can't and shouldn't be expected to carry that much water for the league. I'm open to hoping that you're right as per their marketing strategy post WC, but I can't help but worry that it's a missed opportunity.

I'm sure WC ads are expensive but there's something to be said about putting your full weight behind something when the fulcrum is in the optimal position. 

This is all just my guess based on what I've read/heard and assume

Who watches commercials at half time or pre/post game?  It's not like baseball or hockey with lots of commercial breaks during the game.  When I'm watching a World Cup game at half I'm stretching my legs, talking about the game or using the bathroom.

Is a 30 second tv spot going to make that much of an impact if people are watching commercials?  How much are casual fans going to retain? 

I will admit I'm a bit surprised they aren't advertising during the Cup but I can see it given certain high costs and questionable end results.

4 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Why aren't any of the clubs promoting right now? Theyll never get a better opportunity

Might be prohibitively expensive to get ad time when ratings are into seven figures?

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Exactly.  The nuts & bolts of how you do that I leave to people in a higher wage bracket than myself but at the end of the day the league has to guarantee the owners they approve for this business stand by their agreements with the players.

Always a concern that somebody will walk away with a startup soccer league in North America. The usual way to address this in the absence of single entity is to provide a performance bond that can see a franchise through financially to the end of any season.

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

CPL can go all in on marketing once ALL the teams for 2019 are revealed, stadium situations clarified, all aspects of the league unveiled and kits available.

Until then...little point in going all in now.

4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Who watches commercials at half time or pre/post game?  It's not like baseball or hockey with lots of commercial breaks during the game.  When I'm watching a World Cup game at half I'm stretching my legs, talking about the game or using the bathroom.

Is a 30 second tv spot going to make that much of an impact if people are watching commercials?  How much are casual fans going to retain? 

I will admit I'm a bit surprised they aren't advertising during the Cup but I can see it given certain high costs and questionable end results.

I'm mostly thinking back to when I was a teenager, the whole family gathered in front of the TV for the world cup, and imagining the conversation that would start if something like a condensed version of the launch video came on

Wouldn't work for everyone but I think traditional marketing would greatly increase the footprint they've made outside of the Canada soccer-centric fans

13 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Before Nathan gets mauled for this by people with stronger opinions on this, I want to point out that Nathan went to decent lengths in an entirely unpaid capacity to talk with all relevant parties and be as fair as possible 

Still reading this but anyone who mauls him does it with some kind of bias.  Finding it very fair, educational and a great look at the developmental system we rarely get.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They clearly are aiming for CPL, however, the stadium situation is the biggest hold up I think

"they" being Barry is not an assumption I would make. We'll see how things pan out in KW but (as I think has been leaked elsewhere), the ownership may not look the way people assumed earlier. 

I'm not going to pass along 3rd hand info but I believe one of the KW guys spilled some beans regarding Barry's involvement elsewhere 

Edited by Complete Homer

12 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

"they" being Barry is not an assumption I would make. We'll see how things pan out in KW but (as I think has been leaked elsewhere), the ownership may not look the way people assumed earlier. 

I'm not going to pass along 3rd hand info but I believe one of the KW guys spilled some beans regarding Barry's involvement elsewhere 

Someone on here did say Barry was not involved any longer earlier this month.  Last public report from this March when DC was in the area they met 

• League officials recently met with local soccer supporters and interested team owner Barry MacLean at a Waterloo eatery as part of a cross-country trip to gauge interest from various communities it considers franchise contenders.

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/8291131-canadian-pro-soccer-league-still-high-on-waterloo-region/

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Might be prohibitively expensive to get ad time when ratings are into seven figures?

Fair point, but if ever there was a time to reach your target audience...

13 minutes ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

You might not reach more of your target audience per single ad but if you can probably get say 10 ads after the World Cup than during, which is more effective?

Why would more soccer fans be tuning in after the world cup than any other time of the year? I've never watched a gymnastics event apart from the olympics; before or after.

47 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Why would more soccer fans be tuning in after the world cup than any other time of the year? I've never watched a gymnastics event apart from the olympics; before or after.

MLS? UEFA Champions' League play-offs? UEFA Europa League play-offs? Why do you need to just reach soccer fans? Why not put an ad on during a Jays game? Why not put an ad on during a CFL game?

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

It’s not that the CPL target audience will be particularly clustered after the World Cup, it’s that EVERYONE an ad could reach, hardcore and soccer curious alike, would be at their most receptive. 

2 hours ago, C2SKI said:

For the same reason I expect my pumpkin stocks to peak riiiiiight around January....... ;)

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/deadspin.com/chart-the-average-player-salaries-in-soccer-leagues-ar-1658856283/amp

Article is from 2014 but just wondering where CPL would fit on this list. 100000 pounds converts to 176000 Canadian, which would be between Poland and Sweden. Although Poland only has 4 domestic players at the world Cup while Sweden has none. So would maybe need to have a higher average salary to attract national team level players. Excited to see where it ends up.

22 hours ago, Rheo said:

But that isn't the only option. They could do something like put an ad before highlight videos on the web. Maybe local radio stations they could have ads around the sports reports or if games are being played on the radio. You are usually less likely to go to the washroom at halftime if you are listening to the radio, because let's face it, you are probably in a car.

21 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/deadspin.com/chart-the-average-player-salaries-in-soccer-leagues-ar-1658856283/amp

Article is from 2014 but just wondering where CPL would fit on this list. 100000 pounds converts to 176000 Canadian, which would be between Poland and Sweden. Although Poland only has 4 domestic players at the world Cup while Sweden has none. So would maybe need to have a higher average salary to attract national team level players. Excited to see where it ends up.

I think that’s a little high.. I’d expect AHL level salaries around 65k average.

23 hours ago, Rheo said:

Deep dive on what happened to KW United including CPL and L1

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/what-happened-to-kw-united-fc/

The stadium problem is a good argument and probably should have been sufficient, but I think the other points are a bit lacking. As for the number of players that turn pro from KW United, does anybody have their numbers? I have a hard time believing it actually is more than L1O - TFC - women.

According to this list... https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0150/8969/Pro_List_-_L1O.pdf

L1O has had 62 men graduate from non-TFC teams to pro jobs since 2014. That's an average of 15.5 per season of operation (the numbers came out before the 2018 season). Are KW United really promoting more than 15 players per season to the pro ranks? That's almost an entire roster worth of players.

And the point about CPL being a potential solution to the pathway problems, but that's for the future, is not a strong point in my opinion. CPL is starting next season, so any L1O/PDL/USL/<insert any league here> players that they are signing they will be doing largely based on their 2018 season.