CPL new teams speculation

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Like you can never apply conventional wisdom. They present themselves as being super euro but they seem to be mostly in to hockey and baseball. Just when you think they're gonna zig they zag. You'd think they're all sophisticated but then seem to just want a ham and egg sandwich. I don't know maybe it's because I'm way over here. I'm just confused. Maybe one day I'll go there and see for myself. I would think they'd be all over a cpl team but it seems like pulling teeth

Expert sociology, thanks, though I like it more when you focus on the ravaged whore of Babylon that's Vancouver.

10 hours ago, narduch said:

The only Quebec-based Ligue 1 Quebec club is Royal-Sélect de Beauport. I believe they play at an indoor arena Centre sportif Marc-Simoneau. This location also has a field turf which I think would be a great location to build a Vancouver/Halifax style pop-up stadium.

I think this could be a great locations for a Quebec CPL team, only 10 mins from the centre of the town. 

image.thumb.png.c252420b97270fbbab84c276113db1dc.png

24 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

The only Quebec-based Ligue 1 Quebec club is Royal-Sélect de Beauport. I believe they play at an indoor arena Centre sportif Marc-Simoneau. This location also has a field turf which I think would be a great location to build a Vancouver/Halifax style pop-up stadium.

I think this could be a great locations for a Quebec CPL team, only 10 mins from the centre of the town. 

image.thumb.png.c252420b97270fbbab84c276113db1dc.png

I am all for CPL in Quebec and especially Quebec City, so I hope this is how it plays out. I too was checking out images on google maps, so I appeciate this.

I just wanted to ask @Big_M if he thinks Quebec is higher on the list than Edmonton, because if they have no investors they have no stadium plans, kind of like Edmonton. Is it a case of Edmonton needing to prove it more than other places since they failed once already?

2 hours ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

The only Quebec-based Ligue 1 Quebec club is Royal-Sélect de Beauport...

Are you sure he meant Quebec as the city rather than the whole province? A "local club" also doesn't necessarily have to be League/Ligue 1 level. Vaguely remember a group in Sherbrooke getting mentioned in this sort of context at one point, for example.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I am all for CPL in Quebec and especially Quebec City, so I hope this is how it plays out. I too was checking out images on google maps, so I appeciate this.

I just wanted to ask @Big_M if he thinks Quebec is higher on the list than Edmonton, because if they have no investors they have no stadium plans, kind of like Edmonton. Is it a case of Edmonton needing to prove it more than other places since they failed once already?

Quebec is definitely higher on the list of where Noonan wants to put a team next...its no secret that the league has wanted a team there for a long time and that there are groups working behind the scenes trying to get the famous investor+stadium duo...for Edmonton it will be even harder to find an investor that is willing to commit tens of millions where it has already failed badly + need a stadium solution + need Noonan to sign off on it...I dont believe he even wants to think about Edmonton getting a team in the short term

I don't want to be mean about this Beauport stadium, but this location is one of the worst ever.

There are no busses from Charlesbourg to there. No busses from Québec downtown/limoilou to there.

Ste-Foy, Vanier & the rest....awful.

I will be there often, but it will make things complicated knowing half the fans at the Rouge & Or lives nearby (students) or go by bus.

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

Well I think that puts Kelowna ahead of Quebec.

I recall Friend saying somewhere that an owner for Kelowna was required, and implying that it wouldn't be him. Things change, of course. But I'm not sure they'd commit to 3 teams, nor am I sure that would really be what the league wants.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I recall Friend saying somewhere that an owner for Kelowna was required, and implying that it wouldn't be him. Things change, of course. But I'm not sure they'd commit to 3 teams, nor am I sure that would really be what the league wants.

Also, I spoke with a person source very close to the local business community and Chamber of Commerce and they heard nothing of substance of late, so no one should hold their breath about Kelowna for the immediate future.  However, as you suggest, things could change, notably for a '25 start up.  I mean, being involved with the hype around hosting the WC 2026 has to create some big vibe for a team start up, surely?

Edited by BearcatSA

18 hours ago, narduch said:

Well there we have it. A Montreal based club. Obviously would be great having another pro club in our second largest city, but I would have preferred the love to be shared around with Quebec City. It would have been good for travel as well, because it would give Halifax an even shorter away trip. Still though, Montreal is closer than GTA or Ottawa, so St. Laurent would still be a win. Seems pretty far-fetched to assume this could get done by 2025 though.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Well there we have it. A Montreal based club. Obviously would be great having another pro club in our second largest city, but I would have preferred the love to be shared around with Quebec City. It would have been good for travel as well, because it would give Halifax an even shorter away trip. Still though, Montreal is closer than GTA or Ottawa, so St. Laurent would still be a win. Seems pretty far-fetched to assume this could get done by 2025 though.

I admire the owner that looked at the attendance of York and VFC and thought with excitement "that could be us!".

On 9/27/2023 at 4:53 PM, An Observer said:

I am just glad to see someone is still working the phones.  I thought that died last century. 

Yah some rich guy got a phone call at 6pm and it said... This is Revenue Canada calling. Do not hang up. You must invest in a CPL club or you could face charges. Please stay on the line and we will assist you

On 9/29/2023 at 9:39 AM, SpursFlu said:

Yah some rich guy got a phone call at 6pm and it said... This is Revenue Canada calling. Do not hang up. You must invest in a CPL club or you could face charges. Please stay on the line and we will assist you

Hey, I could never condone scam-calling seniors to bilk them out of their life savings. UNLESS we can get another CanPL club out of it...

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Just here me out

I've often thought that this would be a stroke of genius by Saputo. You could sell your MLS team to whoever the hell in America. Buy a Montreal and Quebec City CPL franchise and still put nearly 300 million in your jeans. The amount ofctalent coming out of Quebec, there is money to be made that doesn't fit the MLS structure. Buy low, sell high and bring back the Impact all in one swoop and start the process all over again and own 2 teams for by his standards are pennies

Edited by SpursFlu

13 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I've often thought that this would be a stroke of genius by Saputo. You could sell your MLS team to whoever the hell in America. Buy a Montreal and Quebec City CPL franchise and still put nearly 300 million in your jeans. The amount ofctalent coming out of Quebec, there is money to be made that doesn't fit the MLS structure. Buy low, sell high and bring back the Impact all in one swoop and start the process all over again and own 2 teams for by his standards are pennies

I don't know about owning both Montreal and Quebec City but he could make sure to keep the monopoly on Montreal Metro area because one way or another, CPL won't stay out forever and that will end up affecting them one way or another.

We all know that his #1 priority is Bologna and Serie A and I don't see a shift where he'll start pumping cash into CF Montreal when staying in Serie A is such a costly business. They were 1 spot off a Europa spot last season and the extra investment into that club is so much more worth it if you make Europa than spending more just to lose it in MLS - it becomes a no brainer.

In CPL, he gets his cake and eat it too. He can keep the level of investment in Bologna and even increase it to make Europe while having a top club Canada that would be recurrent contenders for league championships and CCL while having a shot at building a dynasty at lower costs (in Canadian dollars no less instead of USD)

I agree with the vidio though that it won't be in the short term. There's still expansion cheques coming and Messi is increasing the overall value of the league while he's in the league. You can maximize the resale value once the league stop expanding and ownership groups are still lining up to get in - now's not the time.

Edited by Ansem

Like the guys in BC own both.. build it up and then sell eventually whichever one you like or not. What's a team worth right now? 7-10 million? Chump change. In 10 years. How much?

Montreal Impact 

CF Quebec 

I have say my first instinct when I heard about the name change from Impact to CF was Saputo is laying the ground work for selling the team but being able to retain the Impact name