Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

4 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Super out of context and definitely not the right thread to say it but that CanMNTBible guy pisses me off so much, he thinks all of our players are the second coming of Messi.

I get mixed up between the CANMNT account that does this, and the one that tweets about how JMR needs a stint at forge to get his career on track. I mostly just scroll on by.

58 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Super out of context and definitely not the right thread to say it but that CanMNTBible guy pisses me off so much, he thinks all of our players are the second coming of Messi.

57 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The tweet preceding that one is like a wishlist for the rest of the transfer window and none of it is realistic or imminent lmao.

I find this sentiment really strange.. why would this piss you off? It's not like he's out there pretending to be some 'insider'. Pretty sure he's just a kid who's just excited about the state of Canadian soccer, comparative to what it was. And wasn't that the whole point of the recent successes of the men's and the women's teams, to attract more fandom and connection to the national teams, especially in the younger generations? Why play gatekeeper over someone's exuberance and positivity? More power to those who want to get on board the national team bandwagon.

And let's be honest, we all want to see career progression for the lads. And you can argue many of them likely would have more opportunity, if not for the passport they rock. He's just saying out loud what many of us wish would happen in a perfect world.

37 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

A former Houston Dynamo academy player who is reportedly on trial at Manchester City's academy has the Canadian flag in his Instagram bio. Likely eligible for USA, Canada, and Turkey. No confirmation on what exactly his connection is but one would guess he has a Canadian parent

If he’s good enough he would be eligible for u17 World Cup (if he signs for Man City he’s definitely good enough)

Obviously a city prospect would be unbelievable for the program but I wish he wasnt a winger. Pep likes wingers who take fewer calculated risks and focus on ball retention. In concacaf and with CMNT, we need more directness. A prem winger would obv be a monster regardless but I (WAAAAY to early), worry that our squad (any concacaf squad) wouldnt complement a city trained winger.  

10 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Obviously a city prospect would be unbelievable for the program but I wish he wasnt a winger. Pep likes wingers who take fewer calculated risks and focus on ball retention. In concacaf and with CMNT, we need more directness. A prem winger would obv be a monster regardless but I (WAAAAY to early), worry that our squad (any concacaf squad) wouldnt complement a city trained winger.  

Dude he’s not even Signed yet and we’re talking about what Pep thinks about him, Most people in Man City’s Academy don’t ever reach the first team, it’s just a sign he might have some quality and might be a good player In the future.

21 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Dude he’s not even Signed yet and we’re talking about what Pep thinks about him, Most people in Man City’s Academy don’t ever reach the first team, it’s just a sign he might have some quality and might be a good player In the future.

I think youre misunderstanding the academies role. Pep has introduced his philosophy throughout the club and that trickles down to all the coaches and the academy players. He could never play for city and still have Pep DNA if he spends time in the city academy. Pep could never even watch him play and he could still have pep DNA. 

My post is to say that a prospect with the chance of signing for citys academy would be absolutly brilliant. All positions with pep DNA would provide incredible value to our squad, except wingers (proportionally speaking. Obv they would still be a huge asset). 

As I understand he’s not Canadian and has never lived here, so he is like Koleosho? Really doubt the US is going to let a city prospect slip through the cracks, let alone Turkey. 

I do see he only has the Canadian and Turkish flags in his bio, so who knows, but yeah, I wouldn’t put too much stock into this player until he signs, sticks with the academy and stays there. Many of our players have trialed at massive academies that led nowhere. 

There's loads of duals  right now with potentially high ceilings: Jebbo, Luca, LDF, Sigur, Sali.  The players highlighted were born, raised and started playing soccer in Canada.  There's certainly talented players being "produced" in Canada. We just need to get them signed by one of the 11 pro teams early on. Sali started playing pro in the Romanian first div at the age of 14/15.

Every once in a while - when I'm really questioning the meaning of life and happiness - I go back to the first few pages of this thread.  It really gives some solid perspective on how silly and impossible it is to predict the trajectory and level of a young player, as well as who he commits to.  

We were confident about Cristante, cause he wasn't playing much in Serie A.  We doubted we'd land Ferreira.  Flores was a big deal.  Tabla should have been a game-changer.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that mitrovic is officially gone, I thought I'd make a list of current duals.

1. Jebbo
2. LDF
3. Koleosho
4. Costa
5. Farsi
6. Abzi 
7. Van eerden
8. Sigur
9. Sali
10. Flores ( i think hes still technically possible?)
11. Goodman
12. Odunze
13. Dias 
14. Davidson

Obviously some of these guys are prospects. We also have guys like smith that are pretty well committed to canada but are technically duals. 

Any obvious misses? 

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Now that mitrovic is officially gone, I thought I'd make a list of current duals.

1. Jebbo
2. LDF
3. Koleosho
4. Costa
5. Farsi
6. Abzi 
7. Van eerden
8. Sigur
9. Sali
10. Flores ( i think hes still technically possible?)
11. Goodman
12. Odunze
13. Dias 
14. Davidson

Obviously some of these guys are prospects. We also have guys like smith that are pretty well committed to canada but are technically duals. 

Any obvious misses? 

What's the deal with Tomori? I saw something about a rule change making him eligible again, so long as he didn't play against Ukraine (which he didn't do).