Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

13 hours ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Odunze played for the US at a youth World Cup so unfortunately would have to file a one-time switch with FIFA just to be named to a camp, which one can assume he isn't ready to do yet

Have we ever confirmed that he got citizenship in time before leaving the caps? Not convinced he is even eligible. We were looking like his first choice at that point but then the move happened.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Chicago also had a replacement for Slonina who is also the same age and highly rated, they turned down transfer offers for him before he even played a game with the first team. I also believe they have a highly rated GK in Barca’s academy in Spain… 

I’ll say this again, people will be floored over the next 5 years at the amount of high end American prospects that are coming. There are many highly rated duals and they will lose quite a few of them for various reasons. 

The US Soccer infrastructure is miles ahead of Canada and the gap will continue to grow. We have 3 MLS teams, one of which fields less Cdns than some US based teams and the CPL is still in its infancy. Compare that to the number of US based MLS teams, USL league etc and the financial resources of the USSF. It's really incredible that our A team can still be competitive when facing the US currently but they are going to pull away from us and Mexico over the next few years. They will lose duals but also gain duals that can start for them like Balogun, Dest, Musah, Robinson

48 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Have we ever confirmed that he got citizenship in time before leaving the caps? Not convinced he is even eligible. We were looking like his first choice at that point but then the move happened.

Good question, I don't think we have confirmed that. He would have needed Canadian citizenship by the time he played for the US in U17 World Cup qualifying in May 2019, so even a few months before he left the Caps for Leicester.

Pretty sure FIFA rules say if you get provisionally cap tied to a nation at youth level, then you can only file a switch later to a nation you had been eligible for at the time, not a citizenship acquired afterward.

In any case, I still feel it is a long-shot to get him if he is okay being a #2 or #3 for the US behind Slonina while starting some lower-level matches. He's been in their youth setup for so long and in multiple senior camps already. All it needs is one Gold Cup or Nations League Qualifier invite against a minnow.

Edited by Canadian Chuck

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I’ll say this again, people will be floored over the next 5 years at the amount of high end American prospects that are coming. There are many highly rated duals and they will lose quite a few of them for various reasons. 

13 hours ago, Shway said:

So Canada might look like the "easy road" to Odunze vs the "trials and tribulations" of the USA road.

As much as I find it fun to root against Americans finding success, it will benefit us a lot in recruiting dual nationals if the US becomes a powerhouse… just as so many of the African, Caribbean and some of the lesser Euro nations end up rostering players who have played youth international football for a European powerhouse like England and France.

1 hour ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Pretty sure FIFA rules say if you get provisionally cap tied to a nation at youth level, then you can only file a switch later to a nation you had been eligible for at the time, not a citizenship acquired afterward.

This used to be the true, but it was changed in the latest FIFA regulations.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Shway said:

At 20....this could be move that is setup for him to go to the first team.

Charlotte don't have a standout GK, and MLS gives young GKs chances.

It would still be wise for Canada to try to take him out of the USMNT depth chart.

I mean….

Steffen, Turner, Slonina, Brady and Johnson are ahead of him and 4 of them have years left. 

Even as an MLS starter, it’s a reach for him. They have so many young GK prospects, including the one at Barca and I think even one in Philly or SJ.. 

I think his switch is imminent. And even with us, he’s not a sure fire lock.

I don't think he's anywhere near the top of our depth chart as well. He's at least behind:

Borjan

Crepeau

St. Clair

Sirois

Breza

McGill

Goodman

Pantemis

That's just based on team level. Don't really know what we can offer him for the time being. Not that the US is any easier to crack- Turner, Steffen and Slonina should probably have them set for the next decade + too.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't think he's anywhere near the top of our depth chart as well. He's at least behind:

Borjan

Crepeau

St. Clair

Sirois

Breza

McGill

Goodman

Pantemis

That's just based on team level. Don't really know what we can offer him for the time being. Not that the US is any easier to crack- Turner, Steffen and Slonina should probably have them set for the next decade + too.

At least with us if he established himself as a starter in MLS he can easily jump to 5 in this list. 

1 minute ago, HochelagaFC said:

At least with us if he established himself as a starter in MLS he can easily jump to 5 in this list. 

Top 5, yeah, but he'd be our 4th best MLS goalie unless he takes a crazy leap. Even assuming Borjan's time with us is ending sooner than later, he'd have to leap Sirois who is one of the best keepers in MLS this year, Crepeau who is consensus one of the best MLS keepers, and St. Clair who Herdman has shown to trust even when he's not great at his club. Not saying it wouldn't be great to have another good option, and maybe he will become a great keeper- he's only 20, but he has a very long way to go to even make the short list, let alone a roster, let alone play a game for us.

4 hours ago, red card said:

Jurgen Damm says he lived in Canada for 5 years. But his wiki says he lived in Toronto for 2 years due to his father's job.

If this is true that would have been interesting and painful to endure a decade ago.  He ended up with a dozen caps for Mexico but truly never reached his potential.  He was highly rated.  Canada could have used a player like him a decade ago when he was playing for Pachuca and Tigres.  At the time, he was a top prospect for Mexico though so we never would have had a chance.

Edited by Corazon

Just now, Jack1997 said:

Super out of context and definitely not the right thread to say it but that CanMNTBible guy pisses me off so much, he thinks all of our players are the second coming of Messi.

The tweet preceding that one is like a wishlist for the rest of the transfer window and none of it is realistic or imminent lmao.