Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Where does he imply he'd be a lock for the CMNT? 

You're right he didn't. Wrong choice of words. I suppose when he mentioned Spoony and the other guy it sounded to me a bit like he figures himself on their level and assumes he'd be afforded the same opportunity they had. It's probably more just that he sees their situation as somewhat like his own and isn’t assuming anything. That being said, maybe he does see himself on their level, nothing wrong with that really. I agree with Floortom that he would be on the squad as it stands now but 3 years is a long way away and as we've become (delightfully) accustomed to with this squad, anything can happen by that time.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jordan said:

There’s been no update since when someone asked in January, he’s also repped the USA since then and seemed quite happy.

Also in the US squad for the one off game against Mexico this week. Still eligible for Canada but a good chance the US caps him at the gold cup.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2023 at 12:18 PM, MtlMario said:

With 2 tournaments coming up back to back, in my opinion now would be a perfect time to cap tie 3 or 4 duals nationals.

In my opinion, with us one win away from our first final in 23 years, it's a perfect time to go out and try to win. If there is a dual national that can help us do it, great. If not, they can wait.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

In my opinion, with us one win away from our first final in 23 years, it's a perfect time to go out and try to win. If there is a dual national that can help us do it, great. If not, they can wait.

Waiting didn't always turn out great for us 🙃 but what I'm saying is having a few new players and giving them a few minutes probably isn't going to make or break our chances of winning a tournament. I like to have my cake eat it too. Or what's the point of having it it.

On 5/20/2023 at 12:18 PM, MtlMario said:

With 2 tournaments coming up back to back, in my opinion now would be a perfect time to cap tie 3 or 4 duals nationals.

Well technically 3 tournaments because we have this Gold Cup, Copa America next year and then the Gold Cup in 2025 so a lot of decisions 

10 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Well technically 3 tournaments because we have this Gold Cup, Copa America next year and then the Gold Cup in 2025 so a lot of decisions 

He was referring to the Nations League playoffs and the Gold Cup, both this summer. Even if he wasn't counting Nations League, and he was including a year with a tournament, we would have I think 5 consecutive years with a tournament. 2023 Gold Cup, 2024 Copa America (if we qualify), 2025 Gold Cup, 2026 World Cup, 2027 Gold Cup.

I think its time to update the list. Most exciting duals right now
1. Jebbison
2. Sigur
3. Mcgill
4. Loturi
5. Goodman
6. Morris 
7. Ferkanus
8. Koleosho
9. Odunze
10. ahmed
11. farsi

Guys who can use a 1 time switch
1. Flores
2. Sali
3. Mitrovic

Future youngster duals with high potential
1. Smith 
2. Dias
3. Higazy
4. Costa
5. michel
6. De fougerolles

Just now, Bigandy said:

I think its time to update the list. Most exciting duals right now
1. Jebbison
2. Sigur
3. Mcgill
4. Loturi
5. Goodman
6. Morris 
7. Ferkanus
8. Koleosho
9. Odunze
10. ahmed
11. farsi

Guys who can use a 1 time switch
1. Flores
2. Sali
3. Mitrovic

Future youngster duals with high potential
1. Smith 
2. Dias
3. Higazy
4. Costa
5. michel
6. De fougerolles

Ranking my hopes
1. Koleosho
2. Jebbison
3. Morris
4. Loturi
5. Ferkanus
6. de fougerolles
7. Costa
8. Sigur
9. Mcgill
10. Goodman

This list isnt neceassarily which 10 are the best. I feel confident smith and ahmed will pick canada so I dont need them on my high hopes list. (weird that loturi and mcgill are on my list when they have already chosen canada). 

I think we will get Jebbison, lose koleosho and get morris.  All 3 would be a dream

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think I take Sigur over Jebbison if I have to choose. We have the best striker depth in concacaf already, and even though Sigur wouldn’t be an immediate starter, I think he ultimately moves the needle more for us than DJ, even though both could be fantastic. 

Interesting. does that mean you think his ceiling is higher than laryea/AJ/ Farsi(if he commits)/ZBG?

I think we have 4 more solid years of Larin but then after that we dont have a top level striker for David Coverage. A prem quality striker would go a long way for rotating the 3 of them in concacaf as well on brutal away trips. 

If becomes an elitish RB or moves into CM then I pick him but I honestly have no idea how high his ceiling would be. 

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

choose. We have the best striker depth in concacaf already

Not really a topic to argue about in this thread but I disagree with this, We have 2 of the top 3 but after that it’s not amazing. David, Larin, Ugbo, Cav, JRR and Brym is no where near the “Depth” The US has with Balogun, Pepi, Sargent, Dike, Wright, Ferreira and Pefok. Not saying we’re not comfortable at CF and we could definitely use Reinforcements at other Positions first but Jebbison would really help this program and having a Top 10 striker in the world, 10+ goals in Laliga and a regular Prem striker to bring to 2026 would make me feel very good.

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Interesting. does that mean you think his ceiling is higher than laryea/AJ/ Farsi(if he commits)/ZBG?

I think we have 4 more solid years of Larin but then after that we dont have a top level striker for David Coverage. A prem quality striker would go a long way for rotating the 3 of them in concacaf as well on brutal away trips. 

If becomes an elitish RB or moves into CM then I pick him but I honestly have no idea how high his ceiling would be. 

I was mostly thinking of it as an either/or between those two- I think Sigur has a better chance of being better than any of those guys than Jebbison does to be better than David let alone Larin. Jebbison could be a premier league striker, I mean technically he is now given sheffield’s promotion, but I also thought Corbeanu was going to be in the premier league next season when he was scoring at a good pace with Blackpool earlier this year, and now that likely isn’t the case. As for the guys you mention, I think he has potential to be the best of them all given where he’s at in his career at the age that many of those players were playoff NCAA or CPL (not sure where Farsi was at 19- PLSQ? York?).

56 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Not really a topic to argue about in this thread but I disagree with this, We have 2 of the top 3 but after that it’s not amazing. David, Larin, Ugbo, Cav, JRR and Brym is no where near the “Depth” The US has with Balogun, Pepi, Sargent, Dike, Wright, Ferreira and Pefok. Not saying we’re not comfortable at CF and we could definitely use Reinforcements at other Positions first but Jebbison would really help this program and having a Top 10 striker in the world, 10+ goals in Laliga and a regular Prem striker to bring to 2026 would make me feel very good.

That’s fair. In an ideal scenario we get both and in a likely scenario, I think Jebbison does commit to us at some point and the more depth anywhere, the better. Just think that whereas for the US, any of those guys might be “their guy”, for us we can be confident that David is our main striker for probably the next decade, I think Larin has a good 5 years at least with us, and I haven’t given up on Ugbo yet. Complete gut feeling but I think he bounces back next year. I don’t think there’s any scenario, barring injury where we go into a concacaf match worried about who will score our goals.

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Ranking my hopes
1. Koleosho
2. Jebbison
3. Morris
4. Loturi
5. Ferkanus
6. de fougerolles
7. Costa
8. Sigur
9. Mcgill
10. Goodman

This list isnt neceassarily which 10 are the best. I feel confident smith and ahmed will pick canada so I dont need them on my high hopes list. (weird that loturi and mcgill are on my list when they have already chosen canada). 

I think we will get Jebbison, lose koleosho and get morris.  All 3 would be a dream

Going back to this, a guy I’ve started trying to keep track of is enes sali. Someone here said he’s waiting to leave Romania before he switches to us, and apparently some good teams (Sporting?) are looking at him. No clue how credible that info is still but of all the long shot dual nationals, he might be the one who ends up with us.