Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Ya I was thinking that too, someone out of the blue could happen too

Could also be an out of the blue young player too. I know they've had Dieu Michel Merci in camp before and he's looking good for Vitoria B, or even Daniel Nimick; I mean if we're bringing in Tom McGill just for him to get a taste of the national team, might as well check out a CPL guy who's probably not quite there form wise but should be in the mix for next world cup.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Could also be an out of the blue young player too. I know they've had Dieu Michel Merci in camp before and he's looking good for Vitoria B, or even Daniel Nimick; I mean if we're bringing in Tom McGill just for him to get a taste of the national team, might as well check out a CPL guy who's probably not quite there form wise but should be in the mix for next world cup.

I like this idea but slightly tweaked. 

We have had merci, campagna and pearlman as taxi squad guys. I would love nimick to get that chance. However, I do not want him as one of the 23. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Wouldn't he have been with our u17 if he was interested? Or maybe he still will be on the final u17 world cup roster?

There's no evidence the CSA even knows he exists.

Granted these days they seem to pull kids out of their ass that we had no idea existed or were eligible so maybe he just doesn't have a Canadian passport or they are aware but just haven't approached him.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The Guardian posted their top 60 young talents- ‘06s and up I believe, and the one Canadian on the list is Enes Sali, listed as Romanian, of course.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/oct/11/next-generation-2023-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

Anyone know if the rumored transfer to Dallas happened? He hasn't been in the team squad recently for his club

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Anyone know if the rumored transfer to Dallas happened? He hasn't been in the team squad recently for his club

Doesn’t look like to- he played a few times for Farul after the MLS transfer window closed, and it looks like he was an unused sub over the last three games. Interestingly enough, it looks like he started every game for his club until a week after the window, and then he’s been sparingly used since. Assume it’s related to form or roster options, but I wonder if the transfer fell through due to time and the team is basically protecting him from getting injured in preparation for a January move to Dallas. 

If the issue is just with getting a work permit, I think he'll be fine; I don't know that there's a difference in work permit between him playing for FC Dallas and say, Alphonso Davies playing games in the US as a minor- you're still crossing the border and working as a foreigner. Perhaps there's an MLS rule though; I can't recall any Canadian non-dual nationals of ours to have played youth ball in the US. I know a ton of Canadians go and play in the USHL before they turn 18, but that's an amateur league, so there may be different rules if you're getting paid.

Looking more into this, Chicago announced Jhon Duran when he was 17 but his contract started a few weeks after he turned 18. The MLS article announcing the signing says that the contract will start once he’s 18, so perhaps that is a rule. Sali turns 18 in February so he could still play next season, but I think this all points to him needing to go play for a Canadian team, clearly. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

Was trying to educate myself on the history of Sali as I'm a little out of the loop on him (and the search function wasnt working too well on this board for me).

Born in Toronto, moved to Barca's academy at a young age before he had to leave due to FIFA reasons. Moved to Romania and broke records for youngest player / scorer etc. Has played for Romania's senior team, but I guess FIFA rules are that if he's under 21 he needs to play 3 games for them to be tied? Is that right, and has he done that? 

Reading a Romanian article (granted its from 2021), and found some nice quotes, but if he's cap tied I guess its all moot. Seems his Dad wanted him to play for Romania, while his Mom wanted him to stick with Canada. 

37 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Was trying to educate myself on the history of Sali as I'm a little out of the loop on him (and the search function wasnt working too well on this board for me).

Born in Toronto, moved to Barca's academy at a young age before he had to leave due to FIFA reasons. Moved to Romania and broke records for youngest player / scorer etc. Has played for Romania's senior team, but I guess FIFA rules are that if he's under 21 he needs to play 3 games for them to be tied? Is that right, and has he done that? 

Reading a Romanian article (granted its from 2021), and found some nice quotes, but if he's cap tied I guess its all moot. Seems his Dad wanted him to play for Romania, while his Mom wanted him to stick with Canada. 

Someone is suggesting that there are rumours or truth to him wanting to switch to play for Canada.  I have no idea how accurate or not.  However he is cap tied to Romania for the time being but that cap is now almost 2 years old so he would only need to wait one more year.  
Sali coming to MLS would definitely help us gage his level relative to our program.  If he comes and competes at a high level in the MLS for the entire season, we could potentially be calling him up next November.  However, if he’s competing in the MLS at a high level, we’d have to expect he will be getting calls for the Romanian senior team as well I’d think.

15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Someone is suggesting that there are rumours or truth to him wanting to switch to play for Canada.  I have no idea how accurate or not.  However he is cap tied to Romania for the time being but that cap is now almost 2 years old so he would only need to wait one more year.  
Sali coming to MLS would definitely help us gage his level relative to our program.  If he comes and competes at a high level in the MLS for the entire season, we could potentially be calling him up next November.  However, if he’s competing in the MLS at a high level, we’d have to expect he will be getting calls for the Romanian senior team as well I’d think.

But it is a possibility given his age and number of games for Romania’s senior team? Or is that still a question mark?

Just trying to gauge how high to get my hopes before getting let down. 

9 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

But it is a possibility given his age and number of games for Romania’s senior team? Or is that still a question mark?

Just trying to gauge how high to get my hopes before getting let down. 

He's only played 1 game for Romania, though it was a WCQ. If he plays 3 more games (incl. friendlies) he is cap tied. 

As it stands, since his most recent (and only) official game was before he turned 21, he is eligible to file his one-time switch after 3 years of waiting. He's waited 2 already. So come back in a year to find out. But he would have to file that paperwork to play for us, even in a friendly or at youth level.

50 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

He's only played 1 game for Romania, though it was a WCQ. If he plays 3 more games (incl. friendlies) he is cap tied. 

As it stands, since his most recent (and only) official game was before he turned 21, he is eligible to file his one-time switch after 3 years of waiting. He's waited 2 already. So come back in a year to find out. But he would have to file that paperwork to play for us, even in a friendly or at youth level.

It's interesting that he hasn't played since, especially since there's been nothing reported AFAIK that he's turned down further call ups. You would think Romanian news would have reported something like that. So then is he simply not getting calls? If that's the case is it an oversight? Or is he just deemed only good enough for youth sides?

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

It's interesting that he hasn't played since, especially since there's been nothing reported AFAIK that he's turned down further call ups. You would think Romanian news would have reported something like that. So then is he simply not getting calls? If that's the case is it an oversight? Or is he just deemed only good enough for youth sides?

It was a cynical cap tie as he was no where near good enough for the senior team but he was a 15 year old wonder kid and Canada was sniffing around.  They therefore called him to cap tie him. Very cynical. And his father said at that time something to the effect “what can I do? Hagi has asked for him to be called and I can’t turn him down”.  It was a stupid decision of the family to get himself cap tied at that age but the good news is it expires when he is 18 so plenty of time to come into the Canadian orbit or make a decision to stay with Romania. I am hoping the cynical cap tie and treatment afterwards (ie no more calls) has soured the family on the Romanian FA and it’s cautionary tale for all of us on here who argue we should do the same. 

It's a tough one. If he is even close to the level of a Canada call then he is likely playing regularly and tearing it up at Dallas. If thats the case its likely Romania come calling before November 21st of next year. Given how cynical the last call was I would be shocked if they don't just call him at somepoint over the next year anyway. Just to make sure he stays with them.

Hopefully he has learned a little bit from last time to just sit and wait if Romania come calling. He has so much time on his side. That said if he truly feels more Romanian, like I said when he was capped two years ago, good luck to him. I mean I might have also said some other obscenities in addition to that.