Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

I imagine that an international cap received while he was literally a child blocking him from, at some point, representing the nation of his birth would be the kind of thing that CAS, or another legal authority, might consider to be unreasonable. If a player who was affected thus wanted to make a challenge, it'd almost certainly force FIFA into a tweaking of their current rules.

27 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I imagine that an international cap received while he was literally a child blocking him from, at some point, representing the nation of his birth would be the kind of thing that CAS, or another legal authority, might consider to be unreasonable. If a player who was affected thus wanted to make a challenge, it'd almost certainly force FIFA into a tweaking of their current rules.

Agreed. And it was a cynical cap too.

I think the FIFA rule should be changed to minutes instead of appearances (or like minutes equaling to appearances) because stuff like this will continue to happen. 

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Could be nothing, but could be something I suppose. Does he follow the TFF?

Has there been any confirmation that Sali is eligible to play for Turkey? I believe that most of the Turkish diaspora in that region dates from the time of the Ottoman conquests, and some enclaves may be even older. It could be that his family is many generations removed from the modern state of Turkey.

On 9/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, Stoppage Time said:

What has to be done to convince some of these guys to choose Canada? Is there some kind of deliberate campaign that could be incorporated? I recently met a 13 year old kid playing for a local soccer club who is born in Canada but already desperately wants to play for Croatia. Yes, his dad is is big on Croatia, but has lived in Canada for many years. How do we make the CMNT the dream? Is it even possible?

The more on field success on all levels will help , Most importanly like any big business it starts from the top having a governining association  running efficiently , and opf course raing the profile of Soccer in this country too

On 9/16/2023 at 9:53 AM, Soro17 said:

Hey, we’ve got Walt Sedin(for now)! Daniel and Henrik Sedin were obviously essential players for Sweden for over a decade. This is the way. 

Valter made the bench for WFC2 today, it seems.

Edited by nolando

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Gotta say I find it hilarious on some petty level that Aidan Morris opted for the US, joined their GC team, left the team early and now won't probably play for them in an sort of meaningful way all the while anything US related and him involves US fans roasting him and saying he's trash.

That's fine- he's a born and raised American boy, it would be embarrassing for him to get benched at a world cup in the US for Nathan Saliba in 2026 anyways.

I got nothing wrong with Morris decision because he’s born and raised American and was extremely gracious about the interest from Canada.  He didn’t play the fence at all.  Took a few weeks to decide and eventually felt that his heart was with USA.  He strikes me as a player that knew the risks he took in choosing usa but that it was the decision his heart took him.  As a passionate Canadian fan, I’d do the same with Canada.

16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

And really... if Morris had come to us that would just make it harder for Choiniere, Ahmed or Saliba to break into the line up. I hope they are all happy how it turns out.

I don't know about that last statement. It's like saying too bad Davies agreed to play for Canada, he's making it harder for Adekugbe and Millar to break into the line up as starters.

I know Morris is not on Davies level but Herdman and the Canada  soccer staff placed a high enough value on his game to try to get him. They ignored Choiniere. Maybe they were wrong with their assessment but you always go for the better players regardless of who it shuts out.

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I don't know about that last statement. It's like saying too bad Davies agreed to play for Canada, he's making it harder for Adekugbe and Millar to break into the line up as starters.

I know Morris is not on Davies level but Herdman and the Canada  soccer staff placed a high enough value on his game to try to get him. They ignored Choiniere. Maybe they were wrong with their assessment but you always go for the better players regardless of who it shuts out.

Morris would have definitely blocked Choniere's minutes considering how little the last coaching staff called up Choniere and how highly they seemed to rate Morris. The funny thing is Morris is only two years younger than Choniere, so the age advantage with Morris wasn't so great. You could make the case they are the same level player, even though Morris is more of a holding CM. The patriot in me is happy we don't have Morris so that Choniere can get more NT reps. 

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Who is the most likely dual to be called for the Japan game (assuming a dual is called)?

I don't think its the answer you're looking for, but I'm going to say Saliba (think he's technically a dual). 

Not sure anyone more exotic than that comes (Jebbison, Koleosho etc.) unless its someone out of the blue.