Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

i guess the way I look at it is do you want him, Waterman, Henry or Mcnaughton back there in the middle.  When looked at that way, he can help us brain farts or not.  May or may not be a starter but has a place in the side.  Miller is a LCB, some have argued for Kennedy to be given a shot in the center but has never played there plus is quite injury prone it seems. Cornelius is a LCB plus doesn’t have the technical skills to play in the center effectively. Camacho plays in the center over Waterman at club and Henry and McNaughton are more RCBs than in the center.  I guess Johnson could be given a go in the center but that’s playing him even more out of position.  So assuming Vitoria is done or close to it, I like the Camacho option even if its for the next couple of years until hopefully someone else steps up and takes it off of him like Smith, Stefanovic, etc.

14 hours ago, An Observer said:

i guess the way I look at it is do you want him, Waterman, Henry or Mcnaughton back there in the middle.  When looked at that way, he can help us brain farts or not.  May or may not be a starter but has a place in the side.  Miller is a LCB, some have argued for Kennedy to be given a shot in the center but has never played there plus is quite injury prone it seems. Cornelius is a LCB plus doesn’t have the technical skills to play in the center effectively. Camacho plays in the center over Waterman at club and Henry and McNaughton are more RCBs than in the center.  I guess Johnson could be given a go in the center but that’s playing him even more out of position.  So assuming Vitoria is done or close to it, I like the Camacho option even if its for the next couple of years until hopefully someone else steps up and takes it off of him like Smith, Stefanovic, etc.

At national team level, Miller is considered the heir apparent to Vitoria.  He could easily slot in there and Kennedy/Cornelius could take his spot. If Henry gets back to playing injury free, I'd also prefer him there.  Finally, last year was a breakout year for Waterman.  If he continues his upward climb this year, he could fill the role.  

Or, failing all that, we change the formation to fit the players we have.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

At national team level, Miller is considered the heir apparent to Vitoria.  He could easily slot in there and Kennedy/Cornelius could take his spot. If Henry gets back to playing injury free, I'd also prefer him there.  Finally, last year was a breakout year for Waterman.  If he continues his upward climb this year, he could fill the role.  

Or, failing all that, we change the formation to fit the players we have.

Miller does not have the height/aerial defensive ability to play in the middle of a back 3. It's a handicap even at LCB. He's also very left footed? which makes it more difficult to play in the middle of the field. Unfortunately Johnston is also a bit weak on aerial defense as well. Vitoria in the middle has compensated for both Miller & Johnston on the outside

Like Hombre said, we are not locked into a back three.  Herdman should and prob will adjust depending on the player he has available to him.  Vitoria anchoring a back 3 lets us take advantage of our excellent wing options, but if he is gone..... maybe we go to a back 4 with Miller and insert name here playing CB with Davies, Johnston, Lareya Adekugbe etc playing as regular FB.

48 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Miller does not have the height/aerial defensive ability to play in the middle of a back 3. It's a handicap even at LCB. He's also very left footed? which makes it more difficult to play in the middle of the field. Unfortunately Johnston is also a bit weak on aerial defense as well. Vitoria in the middle has compensated for both Miller & Johnston on the outside

I agree we need a tall technician back there, Doniel is a beast but he isn't great technically.

Hopefully someone appears out of nowhere like Buchanan and Johnston did in the last couple of years 

20 hours ago, An Observer said:

Wait, why are we (you) even mentionning McNaughton here?  He's nowhere near the CANMNT discussion.  Camacho is a fair question, McNaughton is not. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Wait, why are we (you) even mentionning McNaughton here?  He's nowhere near the CANMNT discussion.  Camacho is a fair question, McNaughton is not. 

McNaughton has already played for Canada (and did well in his limited minutes) so he's a known quantity to John Herdman. Saying he's no where near the discussion makes no sense as he's played with Canada in the last months.

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

McNaughton has already played for Canada (and did well in his limited minutes) so he's a known quantity to John Herdman. Saying he's no where near the discussion makes no sense as he's played with Canada in the last months.

OK, lets relax, it was 19' in a friendly with Kennedy and Vitoria both absent, and Henry no where near 100%.  It takes extreme circumstances for him to be in the conversation.  Fact remains, poor CB on one of the worst teams.  This coming from a guy that wants to see him and CANMNT succeed, but gotta call it like it is.

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

OK, lets relax, it was 19' in a friendly with Kennedy and Vitoria both absent, and Henry no where near 100%.  It takes extreme circumstances for him to be in the conversation.  Fact remains, poor CB on one of the worst teams.  This coming from a guy that wants to see him and CANMNT succeed, but gotta call it like it is.

You just described a circumstance where he was not only in the conversation but he played?? Vitoria's 36 and looked every bit of it when having to play games in short succession at the World Cup and Kennedy seems to be injury prone. Waterman looks to have lost his starting role to Herrera which leaves Miller and Hiebert as our only MLS starting centre backs unless Bombito snags a spot in Colorado. That leaves Waterman MacNaughton and Henry as MLS backups and Cornelius and Zator playing in weaker European leagues. On paper there's not much that separates Waterman MacNaughton Henry and Cornelius other than play style.

Ok, since we are calling them like it is, Vitoria is prob in his last year with the team.  And most people on this board dont want henry anywhere near the field, so there arent as many guys in front of Mcnaughton as you would think.  And since Mcnaughton is a citizen and Camacho is not, I'll let you guess as to which one I think deserves to be in the discussion and which one is pie in the sky FIFA manager baloney.  I'll also give you a hint, its the soon to be 32 year old that seems to want to parachute into a WC with us when we prob should be looking building with younger guys that have a better shot at being in their prime in 2026 and beyond.   

8 hours ago, costarg said:

It was November 2022 against Bahrain that he played for the CMNT, plus he was training with the team in Qatar. 

I'm not a betting man, but I like the odds where in the event of an iminent important game and serveral absences to the point where McNaughton could possible be needed, we'd revert to a 2 CB system to avoid a scenario where he actually sees the field.

Regarding Qatar, he travelled there on his own and hooked up with the team.  He was not invited or on the roster.

9 hours ago, costarg said:

I'm not a betting man, but I like the odds where in the event of an iminent important game and serveral absences to the point where McNaughton could possible be needed, we'd revert to a 2 CB system to avoid a scenario where he actually sees the field.

Regarding Qatar, he travelled there on his own and hooked up with the team.  He was not invited or on the roster.

He’d be the middle CB in a back 3 though. So going 2 CB isn’t going to help. Johnston isn’t playing CB in a back 4.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Speaking to One Soccer, Gauld said. “I think that’s a conversation to be had when the time comes, but I don’t see why not if the opportunity did arise.

"Guys like Wotherspoon and Arfield grasped that chance, and I’m sure they’re delighted with the decision that they made. I think it’s still a couple of years away, though, so there’s not too much point looking too far forward, just yet.”

I wonder if a certain poster will chime in with the complaint that Gauld isn't showing the right sort of patriotism? And I wonder if Gauld's accent and ethnicity picks that certain poster's ass?

Edited by Sal333

6 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Hard to say what happens three years from now but as of right now yes he’s absolutely a lock for the team and would often be in our best XI imo.

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

Could be useful for 2026 as we don’t have many if any players like him in the pool but it’s a very long way away so I may get excited in two years in 2025 but going to give it much thought until then

Wouldn’t he not be eligible until after the 2026 World Cup anyway.