Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

On 8/3/2023 at 12:04 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My young Edmonton-area self has issues with this.  Pretty sure Kurri, Anderson and Messier were the only guys to get 50 goals with Gretzky in the 80s.  All are not in the plumber's Hall of Fame but the hockey one and won a Cup without the Great One. 

Those Oiler teams actually had some decent scoring from all lines  guys like Ken Linesman Charlie Huddy, etc Trust me those giys were far from Plumbers

Edited by gigi riva

On 8/12/2023 at 3:13 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyone watching Kamal at Inter Miami these days? I am really wondering how he combines with Busquets and Alba, if he is on synch, raising his game. I think it is an amazing opportunity for him, but depends a bit what they ask of him.

I mean, if they play the Barça style that is a classic back two, the fullbacks up high, the DM come back to split the CBs if needed, the CBs have to be positioned properly to play out with the keeper, to be ready to give and receive the back pass from Busi, quick to open up high and wide to the LB, all those things in the modern game (and maybe a bit cliché by now) that those guys worked to perfection.

Hopefully Miller is taking some advice from Guys Like Alba and Busquets. Guys who have won Champs League , Euros, and a World Cup  . If so it will help with his career, and the better ment of CMNT too

Just now, gigi riva said:

Hopefully Miller is taking some advice from Guys Like Alba and Busquets. Guys who have won Champs League , Euros, and a World Cup  . If so it will help with his career, and the better ment of CMNT too

On the only Union goal today, between Busquets and Miller they lost the scorer down the middle. Seems Busquets was saying to Kamal the it was his man. I'd agree.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

On the only Union goal today, between Busquets and Miller they lost the scorer down the middle. Seems Busquets was saying to Kamal the it was his man. I'd agree.

Do you mean before the corner kick was taken? The actual goal was in a corner with Busquets miscontrolling a rebound and then Yedlin whiffing on a clearance. Kamal had nothing to do with the playas he was covering Gazdag I believe on the other side of the 6 yard box but I forget what happened on the play leading to the corner

I think Miller is in a very good situation right now. Let's face it, had he moved to Europe it would have likely been to a team without players like Alba, Busquets, and of course Messi. And with the way MLS is now, it's no longer a bunch of scrubs with 2 or 3 legends of the game - it's more like everyone in the starting line up has international caps for CONCACAF, CONMENBOL and UEFA teams. I don't believe Miller could have gone to a better club on paper than he is at now. Deeper maybe yes, but not a better starting 11 (which he is part of).

Edited by Obinna

18 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Those Oiler teams actually had some decent scoring from all lines  guys like Ken Linesman Charlie Huddy, etc Trust me those giys were far from Plumbers

To include Charlie Huddy in a 'decent scoring' comment shows me either you were not around to watch the Oilers through 80's to 1990 or your confusing him with someone else.

15 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

To include Charlie Huddy in a 'decent scoring' comment shows me either you were not around to watch the Oilers through 80's to 1990 or your confusing him with someone else.

Coffey was the scorer on defence, Lowe is probably second on the list I would guess due to longevity, Huddy scored more than him most years but not a lot.  But helped make that team tick.  And Lee Fogelin gets a mention only because I wore his number even in the years later when I was in goal.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

19 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Do you mean before the corner kick was taken? The actual goal was in a corner with Busquets miscontrolling a rebound and then Yedlin whiffing on a clearance. Kamal had nothing to do with the playas he was covering Gazdag I believe on the other side of the 6 yard box but I forget what happened on the play leading to the corner

You're right, must have been a different game or highlight.

In any case, if you are playing beside Alba and Busquets in close as the DM you are going to pick things up, and a lot, in terms of how they want you to move off the ball, how coverages work, and so on.

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Coffey was the scorer on defence, Lowe is probably second on the list I would guess due to longevity, Huddy scored more than him most years but not a lot.  But helped make that team tick.  And Lee Fogelin gets a mention only because I wore his number even in the years later when I was in goal.

Charlie Huddy and Kevin Lowe were 2nd- or 3rd-paring defencemen. Both decent, but not great, players who played roles for a number of years on a great team.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Charlie Huddy and Kevin Lowe were 2nd- or 3rd-paring defencemen. Both decent, but not great, players who played roles for a number of years on a great team.

Don't forget Dr. Gregg on the blue line.

This was a a pretty free wheelin' offensive team in the regular season but they did tighten it up defensively in the playoffs.  Shame they couldn't defend an errant Steve Smith pass.

I used to hate the Oilers as a much younger man during their heyday, but I have mellowed over time and have now developed a rational and geniune appreciation of their dynasty.  

I stopped watching hockey regularly when the dead puck era came in.  I watch it more now to cheer on teams with Canadian friendly rosters.

Big final tonight, should be an exciting game. I suppose he'll start. 

Saw that Inter is signing a promising CB from Argentina, an u-20, Tomás Avilés. This is competition, but I don't mind it as he can't start, has to likely work his way into minutes and the team, and Kamal should be a regular to the end of the season at least. Then, we'll see. 

I am sort of hoping Inter Miami gets stopped, Shaff has a big game, just to keep them in their place. I really could care less if the Barça bunch lose since they are no longer "with us". What doesn't make sense is for Messi to be so respected, he never was in Spain and he found a way past and through it. Make it hard for him ffs. I am not talking about hurting the guy, just countering his strengths effectively.