Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

In the Transfermarkt video out these days with Bienkowski and Manuel Veth, they were talking about how the rest of Inter Miami's values have taken a jump.

Kamal is one of the highest, going from 4-5 million, 25% up in a few months, data from late August. But still, Kamal Miller has a value of 5 million, and he's out of contract on December 31st. Will they retain him and raise his salary (currently a steal at 375,000 US), or will he try to leverage his season for a bigger payout in Europe? Inter, I think would have to pay him upwards of 600,000 to retain him.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the Transfermarkt video out these days with Bienkowski and Manuel Veth, they were talking about how the rest of Inter Miami's values have taken a jump.

Kamal is one of the highest, going from 4-5 million, 25% up in a few months, data from late August. But still, Kamal Miller has a value of 5 million, and he's out of contract on December 31st. Will they retain him and raise his salary (currently a steal at 375,000 US), or will he try to leverage his season for a bigger payout in Europe? Inter, I think would have to pay him upwards of 600,000 to retain him.

I think Miller should stay with Inter Miami personally. Playing with Messi is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity and anywhere he goes (unless it's Saudi) he's probably not getting more than 600,000 anyways - and he won't be playing with the GOAT. And it's not just Messi, it's Busquets and Alba and whoever else joins up in the future. He's obviously going to win trophies too. And he's living in South Florida. It's almost a no-brainer that he should stay.

26 years old now, I believe. Say he stays for another contract, 3 seasons maybe, then he's still 29 and a move to Europe may not be out of the question, if he chooses. He's a defender, they peak later. Maybe he could stay and then move after the 2026 WC? 

Staying at Inter Miami as long as Messi & co are there would be good; I can also see him taking the money and going to Saudi, but I wonder if Miami would want to cycle out some of their older players they could get money out of and replace them with younger talent. I think Miami is going to have to start preparing for life after Messi eventually, and if you can give room to continuously develop young players and sell your vets, that would go a long way towards building a strong culture in Miami. 

As great as Kamal is, I doubt Miami’s record changes significantly if you swap him out for an exciting 20 year old CB prospect for example. Sell him while his value is high. But he’s been fantastic, and simply playing with Messi is going to ensure his form is high for when he comes and plays with us. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think Miller should stay with Inter Miami personally. Playing with Messi is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity and anywhere he goes (unless it's Saudi) he's probably not getting more than 600,000 anyways - and he won't be playing with the GOAT. And it's not just Messi, it's Busquets and Alba and whoever else joins up in the future. He's obviously going to win trophies too. And he's living in South Florida. It's almost a no-brainer that he should stay.

26 years old now, I believe. Say he stays for another contract, 3 seasons maybe, then he's still 29 and a move to Europe may not be out of the question, if he chooses. He's a defender, they peak later. Maybe he could stay and then move after the 2026 WC? 

Toronto FC paid Matt Hedges $908,859.00. I assume Miller will be looking for something close to that. I am not sure if MLS roster rules make other teams not able to bid him up. This may affect what he can get in MLS. I thought the USA liked the free market?!

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Staying at Inter Miami as long as Messi & co are there would be good; I can also see him taking the money and going to Saudi, but I wonder if Miami would want to cycle out some of their older players they could get money out of and replace them with younger talent. I think Miami is going to have to start preparing for life after Messi eventually, and if you can give room to continuously develop young players and sell your vets, that would go a long way towards building a strong culture in Miami. 

As great as Kamal is, I doubt Miami’s record changes significantly if you swap him out for an exciting 20 year old CB prospect for example. Sell him while his value is high. But he’s been fantastic, and simply playing with Messi is going to ensure his form is high for when he comes and plays with us. 

Actually they have signed that young Argentine, Farias think it is, to bring him in as a promising CB. But he's likely not ready yet. Kamal has the job this year at least. And get this: Tata Martino has Kamal in his starting 11. Quite the feat, frankly. Are they a defensive powerhouse? Of course not, they prefer an open game where they can outscore the rival, all power to them. 

My view is that being out of contract 31-12 he'll get offers. But he'll have to consider them, maybe he may even get something from a top 5 league. To rival them, Miami is going to have to close to double what he makes now, at minimum.

The calling card is a good one, World Cup, plays with these superstars, a couple of trophies, just 26. He's the highest value player on the squad after Messi (though frankly, if someone paid 15 million for Busquets they wouldn't be stupid).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually they have signed that young Argentine, Farias think it is, to bring him in as a promising CB. But he's likely not ready yet. Kamal has the job this year at least. And get this: Tata Martino has Kamal in his starting 11. Quite the feat, frankly. Are they a defensive powerhouse? Of course not, they prefer an open game where they can outscore the rival, all power to them. 

My view is that being out of contract 31-12 he'll get offers. And he'll have to consider them, maybe he may even get something from a top 5 league. The calling card is a good one, World Cup, plays with these superstars, a couple of trophies, just 26. He's the highest value player on the squad after Messi (though frankly, if someone paid 15 million for Busquets they wouldn't be stupid).

Isn’t Farias a midfielder? Not sure, but that’s where he seems to have played this year and for Colon. Either way, that’s along the lines of what I think they’ll do. Miami is one of the best destinations in the world for young South American talent, and if they can sell Kamal, take some of those earnings and grab a 20 year old CB from Argentina or Brazil, I doubt their results change much. That, or maybe a young player playing for the US youth teams- I think even a player like Stefanovic would be an adequate replacement for KM if he were in Miami’s system. 

As for Kamal, I wonder if a top 5 league move is realistic given the reasons you mention. It seems like Messi likes playing with him, he’s shown he can hang with the Barcelona guys, I wouldn’t be surprised if Messi plays a bit of GM and has his connections in La Liga spread the word that this is a guy who can really play at that level and teams could use a solid player with World Cup experience and MLS silverware. If Larin can go from not playing to Valladolid, and Tajon can (allegedly) go from looking decent in Belgium to Atletico, then I don’t see why Kamal Miller couldn’t fit in on a team in Spain. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Isn’t Farias a midfielder? Not sure, but that’s where he seems to have played this year and for Colon. Either way, that’s along the lines of what I think they’ll do. Miami is one of the best destinations in the world for young South American talent, and if they can sell Kamal, take some of those earnings and grab a 20 year old CB from Argentina or Brazil, I doubt their results change much. That, or maybe a young player playing for the US youth teams- I think even a player like Stefanovic would be an adequate replacement for KM if he were in Miami’s system. 

As for Kamal, I wonder if a top 5 league move is realistic given the reasons you mention. It seems like Messi likes playing with him, he’s shown he can hang with the Barcelona guys, I wouldn’t be surprised if Messi plays a bit of GM and has his connections in La Liga spread the word that this is a guy who can really play at that level and teams could use a solid player with World Cup experience and MLS silverware. If Larin can go from not playing to Valladolid, and Tajon can (allegedly) go from looking decent in Belgium to Atletico, then I don’t see why Kamal Miller couldn’t fit in on a team in Spain. 

You're right, it's this kid Tomás Avilés they say is an aspiring CB.

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Toronto FC paid Matt Hedges $908,859.00. I assume Miller will be looking for something close to that. I am not sure if MLS roster rules make other teams not able to bid him up. This may affect what he can get in MLS. I thought the USA liked the free market?!

That was your father's USA. There is no free market anymore. That's another subject though.

As for Kamal, I feel that 900k is very high. Nothing wrong with looking for that, but TFC are overpaying Hedges and I don't think we'd find many who would say he's getting paid what he is worth. TFC have a bad habit of overpaying players. They did the same with Gonzalez too. Maybe he can be the next defender TFC overpay for?

If I am Kamal and I get offered big money for a weird move to a place like Saudi Arabia, I would take it in a heartbeat.  I get the goal of competitive environments and maximizing your development but a (relatively) big contract could set him up for life.   

Maybe I have just become more pragmatic about finances as I get older but I am taking a substantial increase in pay almost all of the time.  

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If I am Kamal and I get offered big money for a weird move to a place like Saudi Arabia, I would take it in a heartbeat.  I get the goal of competitive environments and maximizing your development but a (relatively) big contract could set him up for life.   

Maybe I have just become more pragmatic about finances as I get older but I am taking a substantial increase in pay almost all of the time.  

Here's a question for you - should David have taken the Al Hilal offer?

They were offering him 12M for 1 season. 

Instead, David will now play 1 season at Lille for 1.5M

David has made nearly 5 times as much money as Kamal already, but he's only made 5-6M so far in his career to date.

Should he have taken the money for a single season and set himself up for life? Or would you consider him already being set up for life anyways heading into the 4th year of his 1.5M/yr deal? 

It's an interesting question.

Obviously as a fan I want him at the highest level possible, which was Lille for the time being, but he could have taken the 12 mil and then signed to Milan or Inter or Juve or wherever on a free next summer. Instead, he may not move until the summer and maybe Lille decide to stubbornly hold onto him again because the fee is not right. Maybe he gets a really bad injury (God forbid). Point is....that 12M was a lot of money to leave on the table. 

He could also have been playing with Neymar and some other pretty big players.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I actually didn't know they were offering him a 1 year deal.  If so, then yes, I think I would've taken that.  I don't think a year at Al Hilal hurts his EPL prospects, especially if he knocks it out of the park there.  And the 10M pay bump, I mean, that's a lot of money.  But then, my perspective (as the proud long-time owner of a 2005 Corolla) might be a bit different than a 23 year old world-class striker with his entire career ahead of him.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

David has made nearly 5 times as much money as Kamal already, but he's only made 5-6M so far in his career to date.

Should he have taken the money for a single season and set himself up for life? Or would you consider him already being set up for life anyways heading into the 4th year of his 1.5M/yr deal? 

It's an interesting question.

Obviously as a fan I want him at the highest level possible, which was Lille for the time being, but he could have taken the 12 mil and then signed to Milan or Inter or Juve or wherever on a free next summer. Instead, he may not move until the summer and maybe Lille decide to stubbornly hold onto him again because the fee is not right. Maybe he gets a really bad injury (God forbid). Point is....that 12M was a lot of money to leave on the table. 

He could also have been playing with Neymar and some other pretty big players.

To be honest, that one is pretty different for me.  David is 23 whereas Kamal is 26.   David still has growth potential whereas Kamal seems a lot closer to the finished product.   The suitors for JD include some elite clubs where he is far more likely to make serious bank in the latter years of his career while Miller may not see much income growth potential.    Plus strikers tend to out-earn defenders.  And for the record, I disagree that a move to SA wouldn’t hurt JD’s eventual EPL chances.   He would have to absolutely tear it up IMO to stay on the radar of the elite European clubs   I think anything less than a stellar performance on SA could really diminish his desirability as a transfer target   

All in all, I think there are much stronger reasons for Kamal to cash in for a sweet payday given his particular circumstances at this particular time.  

On 9/7/2023 at 12:25 PM, Obinna said:

And El Tata

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's a manager with a weak character, he's a poor motivator. A sad sack and if the team isn't going well, he wallows and mopes. He also plays in an archaic way. 

I give him credit for playing Kamal but his last few jobs he's been poor.

Archaic way?   He modernize the Mexico team that was going through backwards with no footballers of good pedigree ,   the Mexican football dried out of home based footballers for the last 12 years ,  check their rosters 

8 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Archaic way?   He modernize the Mexico team that was going through backwards with no footballers of good pedigree ,   the Mexican football dried out of home based footballers for the last 12 years ,  check their rosters 

He modernized Mexico?

Helped consolidate them as 2nd best in CONCACAF and facilitated Canada not losing to them in qualifying. We attacked them with relative ease at Azteca and even in the Gold Cup match we lost we stretched them to the limit. 

He was deservedly sacked and could be considered one of the least successful Mexico managers of the century.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Mexico did not stop going backwards under Tata Martino. If anything they moved backwards quicker. 

It probably would have taken someone very special to stop the decline of Mexico. It's been coming for a while now. They aren't exporting enough players to Europe and those who go are not thriving. Lozano back to PSV, Alvarez to West Ham, these are good clubs, but a few cycles ago Chicharito was at Manchester United, Vela was at Arsenal, Giovanni Dos Santos was at Barcelona, etc.

Yes we can say that Vela wasn't a regular at Arsenal and was loaned out often, that Dos Santos never went on to be a great Barca player, that Chicharito was United's super sub - not a starter...BUT as far as top end players go that situation was much better than it is today.

Mexico has completely lost their fear factor in this region and although they still have a very high floor (and probably always will) the ceiling for this current generation is low and there seems to be no major prospects on the horizon that will change this.  

Speaking of prospects, golden boy Marcelo Flores is no longer with Arsenal, it seems. He's fully embrased his inner Mexican by joining Tigres. Will be interesting to see how that goes for him, but my gut says he's not getting anymore senior calls if he doesn't stand out in that environment.

Edited by Obinna

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Mexico did not stop going backwards under Tata Martino. If anything they moved backwards quicker. 

It probably would have taken someone very special to stop the decline of Mexico. It's been coming for a while now. They aren't exporting enough players to Europe and those who go are not thriving. Lozano back to PSV, Alvarez to West Ham, these are good clubs, but a few cycles ago Chicharito was at Manchester United, Vela was at Arsenal, Giovanni Dos Santos was at Barcelona, etc.

Yes we can say that Vela wasn't a regular at Arsenal and was loaned out often, that Dos Santos never went on to be a great Barca player, that Chicharito was United's super sub - not a starter...BUT as far as top end players go that situation was much better than it is today.

Mexico has completely lost their fear factor in this region and although they still have a very high floor (and probably always will) the ceiling for this current generation is low and there seems to be no major prospects on the horizon that will change this.  

Speaking of prospects, golden boy Marcelo Flores is no longer with Arsenal, it seems. He's fully embrased his inner Mexican by joining Tigres. Will be interesting to see how that goes for him, but my gut says he's not getting anymore senior calls if he doesn't stand out in that environment.

Didn't know that about Flores, thought he was at Arsenal u-21. Then there's Lainez, supposedly one of their up and comings, and he failed at Betis, and is back at Tigres as well. 

I don't rule out Mexico, ever, as in theory they should be producing the best mid-level talent in the region based on pure numbers, and then guys should rise to the top. But we are saying, Tata did not help them. 

When he was at Barça he just followed the players, and then, in the crunch, when he had to lead, he was incapable and we lost a league miserably at home to Atlético Madrid, last match of the year. That same week, since someone had the idea that an end of year barbecue was a good idea, Tata said great to the end-of-year barbecue. Instead of putting his foot down to that BS. 

He is not a leader, is very weak in psychological terms, even this business that he's the right guy for Inter Miami I don't buy, only that he knows the Barça system from over ten years ago the FCB guys are used to, and how Messi should play, so he applies it and in MLS it is "new" and could work, when in top rung world football it is really no good anymore.

47 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Didn't know that about Flores, thought he was at Arsenal u-21. Then there's Lainez, supposedly one of their up and comings, and he failed at Betis, and is back at Tigres as well. 

Flores was just announced yesterday or the day before. His sister also left Chelsea and signed with them as well. Tactical Manager is having a field day with it. Surprised so few CAMNT accounts have latched onto it- the kid who apparently doesn’t speak much Spanish, grew up in Canada but signed with a Mexican marketing agency and did the Lebron The Decision all to more or less flame out before 21 is the type of validation you’d like to see from players who leverage your country to get a better deal from another. For his sake though, I hope he turns it around.