Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

CB, born in 1997, plays with Syracuse and was speculated by Top Drawer Soccer as being the first signing under the new MLS 'Canadian Generation Adidas' program for college underlcassmen (Canadidas?). Played with Ajax and Vaughan clubs as a youngster and played laster year with Vaughan SC in L10.

Capped at U-15 for Canada and was called to U-16 and U-20 squads.

Edited by Dub Narcotic

• 2 years later...

I watched the second part of the first half and pretty impressed by Miller so far. He has actually been the best of the three Canadians on the pitch. Neither of the goals were his fault. He is big but very mobile, good ball skills very confident. He takes a few too many risks for my taste (a bit like Ciman) but so far the risky plays have all been successful. By risky plays I mean he received a pass and an attacker was flying at him and he waited until the guy was near and then calmly dribbled past him which was nice ball control but if he loses it in the back there the attacker would have been alone (a pass to another defender would have been safer). Then later he intercepted a pass and kept an attack going which again was nice and impressive but  had he missed it again the attacker would have been alone. Still a lot of promise and very skilled player. He is playing LB in a three man back and looks to me like the type of player who could  be either LB or CB. Could be an important missing piece in our still not very solid Canadian backline.

Edited by Grizzly

I was impressed today by Miller. Some have mentioned that we need a good defender to appear out of the blue to match some of our newfound offensive talent. My prediction is that happened today. If a guy can play his first professional game against what is one the stronger teams in MLS both overall and offensively and perform like he did today I think he is going to have a solid future especially as he learns from playing at this level. He was again quite good in the second half. He did get beat once clearly by a small speedy player and partially a second time though he managed to steer the player towards the keeper. He has good speed for his size but he needs to learn to use his positioning better when one on one with a really fast guy. But overall I was very impressed both by his play and various aspects such as his passing, ball control, athleticism and confidence which lead me to believe he could become a very good player.  

From the Syracuse highlight tape, he looks really comfortable with the ball at his feet, both passing and dribbling.  No idea why he didn't go first round.  Might have had a poor combine but he's definitely a CB that the men's program should be tracking.

Edited by Snowcrash

Also impressive, for me, is that he kept Carlos Ascues on the bench, who is a young Peruvian International CB/DM who has conmebol world cup qualifiers and copa libertadores experience and also spent time at Wolfsburg. 

Ascues would easily be a starter on the CMNT backline, if Miller is at that level, we may have a real player here.

4 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

mls defenders now..... Still need a couple more

GK - Crepeau

RB - ZBG

CB - Henry Cornelius Miller Jakovic

LB - Levis Morgan

yeah that's pretty thin if you ask me. 

EDIT: we both forgot Montgomery at Dallas. He was the highest drafted defender. And of course St Claire although it would take some time before he establishes himself as an MLS player. 

Edited by shamrock

52 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Nice article. People can say what they want about college athletics and the NCAA road for soccer players (and trust me, I'm not some NCAA apologist in either scenario), but the truth is there are some virtues to the college path (both within in and outside the sport).