Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

• 2 weeks later...

That's now Miller, Lareyea and Adekube all signed to the MLS in their prime years heading into 2026.  I'm sure all were fantastic financial decisions and you can never blame them, but it's a little disappointing as a CANMNT fan for them to not try and push Europe at some level ahead of such a pivotal time in Canadian soccer.

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

That's now Miller, Lareyea and Adekube all signed to the MLS in their prime years heading into 2026.  I'm sure all were fantastic financial decisions and you can never blame them, but it's a little disappointing as a CANMNT fan for them to not try and push Europe at some level ahead of such a pivotal time in Canadian soccer.

Point taken but Laryea is still on loan right? Have we now ruled him out for going on loan to the Championship or elsewhere in Europe?

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Point taken but Laryea is still on loan right? Have we now ruled him out for going on loan to the Championship or elsewhere in Europe?

Because he's comfortable in the MLS and the structure of the deal made between Vancouver and Forest suggests that this is where he wants to be.  This summer was his chance to start fresh in Europe.  

42 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

It is great for Miller. I have never really seen him as a player for big club in Europe. Staying with Miami will have him in some high pressure games. He can always get sold out to Europe, if he reaches another level.

Yup. It's a different league with so much more competition, better player quality, richer experiences, including throughout the whole Confederation, than ever before.

Being a career above-average MLSer in previous eras reeked a bit of being content with being a big fish in a small pond, afraid of a challenge, or to step outside the comfort zone.

Miller is well placed in North America. This is a very respectable career he is enjoying, whether he ever makes to Europe or not.

24 minutes ago, nolando said:

Yup. It's a different league with so much more competition, better player quality, richer experiences, including throughout the whole Confederation, than ever before.

Well, Kristian Jack made a point of saying during the One Soccer panel show discussing Herdman's resignation and new gig with TFC that the quality of MLS is down, so take that for what it is worth.

He is proving his worth to the club and they are rewarding him for it, so it's a win-win.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Well, Kristian Jack made a point of saying during the One Soccer panel show discussing Herdman's resignation and new gig with TFC that the quality of MLS is down, so take that for what it is worth.

He is proving his worth to the club and they are rewarding him for it, so it's a win-win.

Any of these TO pundits trying to wedge in their local perspective as somehow representative can be easily ignored. I'm cynical and maybe Whitecaps playing properly has altered my take, but I think the level is up. Play, tactics, balance, even individual details. 

Miller had to get a decent renewal offer because his salary was too low for a starter on that team. I'd like to know what he's making now, maybe 750-900k? That's the first step. If Tata had decided he didn't want him for next season that'd be far more worrying.

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I feel like something was lost in translation with KJs quote. Wasn't he talking about the number of playoff spots watering down the post season? Somewhere along the line it got misconstrued as "the level of play across MLS has gone down". I could be misremembering so someone else can chime in here if I am...

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I feel like something was lost in translation with KJs quote. Wasn't he talking about the number of playoff spots watering down the post season? Somewhere along the line it got misconstrued as "the level of play across MLS has gone down". I could be misremembering so someone else can chime in here if I am...

Here's the quotation:

Major League Soccer and the quality is down, guys, and it's not that hard to be successful in MLS.  They're allowing a ridiculous amount of teams into playoffs.  Umm...it's not that competitive, and, I think, they've, ultimately, spent a lot of money at TFC.  And so, look, the roster right now is a disaster, like I've said before, but if he can stick around and get through it, then suddenly maybe you can find ways to succeed in this, and if he can get a playoff game, and then that's suddenly success right away and a turnaround right now....

Starts at 54:00ish

Edited by BearcatSA

57 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agree with the playoff situation.  Same applies to the NHL, the season is soo long and there are so many games that you don't have to give 100% each game, no one does or even can.  It waters down the game terribly, to the point the product suffers.  Compare that to EU soccer and the NFL where every single game and individual play matters.

44 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agree with the playoff situation.  Same applies to the NHL, the season is soo long and there are so many games that you don't have to give 100% each game, no one does or even can.  It waters down the game terribly, to the point the product suffers.  Compare that to EU soccer and the NFL where every single game and individual play matters.

I was going to respond to @BearcatSA but you put things perfectly. It's not that talent has been watered down or has been otherwise declining, it's a format issue that translates to a game play issue. Without anything to play for there is general lack of intensity. This will always be true in MLS to a degree without promotion and relegation, but expanding the playoff field doesn't help.

But this doesn't take away from what @nolando was saying. It's all true. There is more talent and money in MLS than ever and the Leagues Cup (which I have come around to liking) creates more meaningful games. That's most true for Inter Miami, who are long shots for the playoffs. If they come up short with a few games remaining, those games are essentially meaningless, but that was also negated by the 7 meaningful games that ended with a trophy and qualification to Champions League.

nd for all we say about Europe having more competitive and meaningful games, many of the big clubs treat their domestic cup games as an afterthought, not dissimilar to how MLS teams out of the playoffs round out the season....so maybe this happens on both sides of the Atlantic.

Couldn't we argue that on this side (at least in NA) there is more parity and fewer giants and therefore less throwaway Cup games?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I was going to respond to @BearcatSA but you put things perfectly. It's not that talent has been watered down or has been otherwise declining, it's a format issue that translates to a game play issue. Without anything to play for there is general lack of intensity. This will always be true in MLS to a degree without promotion and relegation, but expanding the playoff field doesn't help.

But this doesn't take away from what @nolando was saying. It's all true. There is more talent and money in MLS than ever and the Leagues Cup (which I have come around to liking) creates more meaningful games. That's most true for Inter Miami, who are long shots for the playoffs. If they come up short with a few games remaining, those games are essentially meaningless, but that was also negated by the 7 meaningful games that ended with a trophy and qualification to Champions League.

nd for all we say about Europe having more competitive and meaningful games, many of the big clubs treat their domestic cup games as an afterthought, not dissimilar to how MLS teams out of the playoffs round out the season....so maybe this happens on both sides of the Atlantic.

Couldn't we argue that on this side (at least in NA) there is more parity and fewer giants and therefore less throwaway Cup games?

Have you seen how the NBA has added a Cup this year? There's a lot of logic and attraction to work with multiple trophies, tiered in value.

The only thing I'm not sure of is big clubs dissing the national cups, if you look at most winners they're still heavyweights: Madrid, Manchester City, Leipzig, Oporto, Celtic, PSV....the only big surprise was Toulouse in France.

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have you seen how the NBA has added a Cup this year? There's a lot of logic and attraction to work with multiple trophies, tiered in value.

The only thing I'm not sure of is big clubs dissing the national cups, if you look at most winners they're still heavyweights: Madrid, Manchester City, Leipzig, Oporto, Celtic, PSV....the only big surprise was Toulouse in France.

No I haven't because I stopped following the NBA years ago. At one point I watched the NBA more than any sport or league including soccer, but I have just lost interest and it's nothing against the NBA or basketball. I used to play High School basketball.

But...cool they added a Cup!

It's good to see some heavyweights winning their domestic cups and I would like to see them prioritize them more. Because they have incredible depth relative to the smaller clubs they can afford to roll out bench players or even B players (maybe that's how Dias cracks the Sporting first team), which is something we see less of in North America. Depending on the opponent, some of these games are easy wins without much effort or intensity - and I likened that to games in North America without much intensity. Different reason of course, but same outcome. 

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Any of these TO pundits trying to wedge in their local perspective as somehow representative can be easily ignored. I'm cynical and maybe Whitecaps playing properly has altered my take, but I think the level is up. Play, tactics, balance, even individual details. 

His comments seem to be a dig directed towards TFC's incompetent management being unable to field a playoff team in such a multi-team playoff format despite all the money thrown around.  You have to be really bad not to be in the hunt for a playoff spot four matches before the season concludes. 

In the west, I think the difference between second and nineth is only four or five points, give or take a game in hand, plus you have a few others outside of that whose playoff fate might be decided on the final match day.  There is a lot of urgency at the moment.  A current playoff club could just as easily sh*t the bed and be out as they could get into the top four.  That's how much swing potential there is.  I'd say that's pretty competitive.

Even the Athletic writers for MLS are sayig the playoff structure puts the league at risk of complacency. Instead of focusing on Leagues Cup, they need to look at slimming down the playoffs.

Failing to make playoffs is crucial to increasing competitiveness on the field. It increases the intensity of games and pushes owners to invest more in their teams to ensure they have a playoff-worthy squad.

How many sporting directors or coaches are going to use finishing in 18th place in a 29-team league as justification for a “satisfactory” approach to the season?

NYC FC went from late April until mid-August winning just one MLS game. A record of 1-8-8 in that stretch. But right now they’re the eighth seed and we’re being asked to get excited to watch them in the postseason later this month.

Are the two knockout games worth decreasing the value of the regular season so much that the 26th and 27th-ranked teams in MLS are still alive for the playoffs with just a couple of games left on the schedule?

The league wants to increase national interest in the product...Exactly what kind of narrative are they selling that compels those fans to care? 

https://theathletic.com/4920627/2023/10/02/mls-weekly-playoff-format-fc-cincinnati/

• 4 weeks later...

Going to be getting another high profile teammate next season:

https://www.elpais.com.uy/ovacion/futbol/esta-encaminada-la-llegada-de-luis-suarez-a-inter-miami-para-2024-mientras-los-hinchas-de-gremio-hacen-campana

For someone of his skill level and profile, Inter Miami was the best choice he could have made. No way he gets to play with all these legends anywhere else (I guess except Saudi).

And although none of these guys are in their prime anymore, they are still high level. Suarez still has a wicked strike rate in Brazil, Messi is the ballon d'or winner, Alba is probably one of the top fullbacks and Busquets is probably one of the top holding midfielders.