Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

On 11/21/2016 at 9:36 PM, lazlo_80 said:

I'm bored and it's been a while we've been waiting for new leaks about the league so I thought it might be fun to discuss players you expect to see in the league.

3 ground rules:

1. lets assume the cap is around 1.5M as some rumors have said

2. lets assume MLS doesn't have a plan to make Canadians domestics, as that would definitely change things.

3. Don't take this too seriously. No need to argue over the viability of a 1.5M cap or whatever, there's a ton of other threads on here those sort of things are being discussed.

Some players I expect to see: 

Nana Attakora

Mark Anthony Kaye

Callum Irving

Mo Babouli

Amer Didic

Keven Aleman

4/6 but one huge miss there lol.

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

Raheem Edwards also out of contract at Minnesota.  Would be a good player in CPL.

I think he lands in MLS, he had a solid season but with a cap that went down he was probably expensive for them.

also Miller and Saint Clair made Ranjitsignh available, I believe he was solid for them in a few appearances I would also guess he finds a chair for cheap in MLS. Maybe Miami, LA or Austin...

Or Edwards and Ranjitsingh both go to one of the more ambitious/high spending USL clubs.  Edwards didnt look bad in his few appearances and Ranjitsingh has been close to breaking into MLS for while now.  

I am still hoping Brian Wright signs in CPL...he didnt look too bad with the revs a few years back.  Also, why does everyone want CDN wingers to convert to FB??  Shaff should give it a go somewhere besides TFC, get in a full season on the wing to prove what he can do.  

Edited by Bison44

With all MLS teams announcing players that are out of contract or had their options declined, there are potentially 7 Canadian players available (would have been 8, however Montgomery got traded to Minnesota)

Dejan Jakovic    (LAFC)   Raheem Edwards  (Minnesota)  Jordan Hamilton (Columbus)  David Norman Jr (Miami) Anthony Jackson-Hamel, Shamit Shome (Montreal) Georges Mukumbilwa (Vancouver)  Back to 8 if you want to include Greg Ranjitsingh (Minnesota)

Of course some of these could stay in MLS through one of the drafts, trades or free agency.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

With all MLS teams announcing players that are out of contract or had their options declined, there are potentially 7 Canadian players available (would have been 8, however Montgomery got traded to Minnesota)

Dejan Jakovic    (LAFC)   Raheem Edwards  (Minnesota)  Jordan Hamilton (Columbus)  David Norman Jr (Miami) Anthony Jackson-Hamel, Shamit Shome (Montreal) Georges Mukumbilwa (Vancouver)  Back to 8 if you want to include Greg Ranjitsingh (Minnesota)

Of course some of these could stay in MLS through one of the drafts, trades or free agency.

Good list. Dejan Jakovic seems too me to be at too high of an level for the CPL.

Shamit resume might be good enough for across the pond or he could sign with fced and hope they can get another loan / sale like Ongaro

The rest CPL bound. Be good for the level of the league.

18 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Good list. Dejan Jakovic seems too me to be at too high of an level for the CPL.

Shamit resume might be good enough for across the pond or he could sign with fced and hope they can get another loan / sale like Ongaro

The rest CPL bound. Be good for the level of the league.

I would think Jakovic, Edwards and Ranjitsighn all stay in MLS. Hamilton’s not going to drop down to 25-45k, and likely fills a bench role cheaper in MLS or over seas. Similar story with AJH.

Mukumbilwa and Shome are possibilities, but I would think they get offers from better leagues. 

norman probaly the only one who drops.

we have to stop with the idea that every CDN who isn’t re-signed in MLS is taking a minimum 40k pay cut to come home and play for peanuts. 

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Hamilton’s not going to drop down to 25-45k, and likely fills a bench role cheaper in MLS or over seas. Similar story with AJH.

While 25-45 is probably the mean salary (average 33,000) there is room under the salary cap for 1 or 2 players per team to make 60,000.

36 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

While 25-45 is probably the mean salary (average 33,000) there is room under the salary cap for 1 or 2 players per team to make 60,000.

For a guy like Hamilton based on his 2019 salary it’s a 65k drop..... 

For Jakovic it’s 90k

for Edwards it’s 10k and he can easily hang in MLS for 70k (his current salary as of 2019)

also 10k for Ranjitsingh 

For Jackson Hamel it’s an 100k drop

60k for Shamit shome 

Mukumbilwa is at 56k usd

Same with Norman Jr.

All the above are paid in usd...

even at 56k usd these guys are making 71k cad.

at minimum everyone on the list would be moving down a level to take a minimum 10k pay cut... given all of their backgrounds they can easily head south or overseas and get 100k a year and playing time. Norman and Mukumbilwa not so much, but I’d venture to guess 80k ? 

all but Norman and even the probaly him can get a shot to stay in MLS at league minimum of 70k or whatever.

Hamilton and Edwards are roughly in the spot Petrasso, Aird, Levis etc were in.  Interest in them is waning and so is playing time.  Its one thing for MLS to throw a minimum salary at a teenager and see what happens, but when u have had a few kicks at the can and you are mid 20s, you better get a steady gig or make a splash ASAP.  You might slog it out and turn into a Pasher or a Bekker, Haworth, Beckie..steady lower level pro.....or you might as well get a real job pruning trees, medical school etc.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hamilton and Edwards are roughly in the spot Petrasso, Aird, Levis etc were in.  Interest in them is waning and so is playing time.  Its one thing for MLS to throw a minimum salary at a teenager and see what happens, but when u have had a few kicks at the can and you are mid 20s, you better get a steady gig or make a splash ASAP.  You might slog it out and turn into a Pasher or a Bekker, Haworth, Beckie..steady lower level pro.....or you might as well get a real job pruning trees, medical school etc.  

Not at all for Edwards, he usually made the bench in Minnesota and appeared in 12 games. There will be interest in him, he likely gets 100k, he won’t make 100k pruning trees.

Hamilton didn’t play much nor crack the bench and was on an inflated salary but I have a hard time believing he can’t find a team willing to try him out at that level or overseas. 

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Not at all for Edwards, he usually made the bench in Minnesota and appeared in 12 games. There will be interest in him, he likely gets 100k, he won’t make 100k pruning trees.

Hamilton didn’t play much nor crack the bench and was on an inflated salary but I have a hard time believing he can’t find a team willing to try him out at that level or overseas. 

You haven't hired an arborist recently.