Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Jordan Webb has left Singapore. He was in Romania briefly, visiting an old teammate who currently plays the second tier and potentially sniffing around for one last pro contract abroad. Anyways, he's heading back to Canada now.

He's turning 33 soon but seems to have still been effective recently as a pro winger, hasn't had many injuries, and may be of interest to a couple of the Ontario sides, at least.

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Jordan Webb has left Singapore. He was in Romania briefly, visiting an old teammate who currently plays the second tier and potentially sniffing around for one last pro contract abroad. Anyways, he's heading back to Canada now.

He's turning 33 soon but seems to have still been effective recently as a pro winger, hasn't had many injuries, and may be of interest to a couple of the Ontario sides, at least.

Athelico Ottawa ?? 

Edited by yothat2

"FC Edmonton has signed Tobias Warschewski to a contract for the 2021 season".

These type of signings concern me, seems to be players from low levels, a lot also seem to be on there way down and have now been released by the lower level club.  2021 will be telling for the international scouting system, if a bunch of the players are busts a might be a short lived experiment.  It was hard to evaluate 2020, a lot of players couldn't play and those that did only had 7-10 games to show their value.  I can't see many of the signings having resale value, which seems to be purpose of this recruiting system.

The other factor is taking away roster spots from Canadian players for those teams who would like to go with minimum internationals, like Pacific FC.

8 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

These type of signings concern me, seems to be players from low levels, a lot also seem to be on there way down and have now been released by the lower level club.  2021 will be telling for the international scouting system, if a bunch of the players are busts a might be a short lived experiment.  It was hard to evaluate 2020, a lot of players couldn't play and those that did only had 7-10 games to show their value.  I can't see many of the signings having resale value, which seems to be purpose of this recruiting system.

The other factor is taking away roster spots from Canadian players for those teams who would like to go with minimum internationals, like Pacific FC.

The Swedish Zetterberg international played a large part of Fced getting in last place in island games, I felt. Calgary Calvry already said the international rule is impacting Canadians. Don't think Europeans clubs are looking for Europeans that are having success in the cpl for a transfer but are looking for young Canadians like Davies. 

12 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

These type of signings concern me, seems to be players from low levels, a lot also seem to be on there way down and have now been released by the lower level club.

Note the wording "contract for the 2021 season". According to transfermarkt he is out of contract again on Dec 1 2021:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.in/tobias-warschewski/profil/spieler/389804

so difficult to see how a transfer fee could ever be obtained. There is no apparent Moneyball strategy at work here in resale terms.

This looks like a case of deliberately bringing in a relatively young import with very limited fully pro options elsewhere for one season only (next season he won't be U-23 any more) in preference to allocating one of the few liveable full time salaries to a Canadian of around the same age who could easily turn out to be of comparable quality and could be developed for possible transfer on a contract with multiyear options.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I wonder about ways to have a few higher profile Canadians playing in the CPL, players such as Hamilton, Jackson-Hamel, Wright, and others. I decide to write a note to CPL Commissioner, Clanachan. I suggested:

1) The CPL negotiate a player sponsorship/salary deal with each of the Canada's largest banks, these being (in no particular order) Royal, BMO, Scotia, TD, CIBS, Desjardins, National, and HSBC.

2) Each bank would adopt one CPL club and sponsor an agreed upon percentage of the team's player salaries. A ceiling might be set at $150,000.00, or thereabouts, per season sponsorship.

3) Each team would then sign a couple of higher priced (simply by the soccer player market) nad, presumably, high quality Canadian players. This would give those Canadian players a financial incentive to to play in the CPL, and could well increase the standard of play in the league.

4) This strategy could help to solidify the goal of providing more opportunity for Canadians to play in the league, and step up the competition to the three Canadian MLS clubs for the Voyagers Cup and Canadian Championship.

5) The banks would be competing for bragging rights and would enjoy them for one year if its club won the annual "Banker's Cup".

I received no response from Mr. Clanachan, but was not really expecting one.

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

I wonder about ways to have a few higher profile Canadians playing in the CPL, players such as Hamilton, Jackson-Hamel, Wright, and others. I decide to write a note to CPL Commissioner, Clanachan. I suggested:

1) The CPL negotiate a player sponsorship/salary deal with each of the Canada's largest banks, these being (in no particular order) Royal, BMO, Scotia, TD, CIBS, Desjardins, National, and HSBC.

2) Each bank would adopt one CPL club and sponsor an agreed upon percentage of the team's player salaries. A ceiling might be set at $150,000.00, or thereabouts, per season sponsorship.

3) Each team would then sign a couple of higher priced (simply by the soccer player market) nad, presumably, high quality Canadian players. This would give those Canadian players a financial incentive to to play in the CPL, and could well increase the standard of play in the league.

4) This strategy could help to solidify the goal of providing more opportunity for Canadians to play in the league, and step up the competition to the three Canadian MLS clubs for the Voyagers Cup and Canadian Championship.

5) The banks would be competing for bragging rights and would enjoy them for one year if its club won the annual "Banker's Cup".

I received no response from Mr. Clanachan, but was not really expecting one.

👏👏👏👏👏 

Is it me or the roster too small at 23 players?!  7 international spots plus 2 goalies. That leaves 14 spots for Canadian players per team. Just this year there's almost 10-15 Canadian who didn't get drafted on the MLS superdraft plus the cis kids from the usport draft. Then Canadian cpl pros who just didn't fit in on their respective club and now out of contract available but not enough roster spots till next year.

Plus no longer expect Canadian to come to the cpl 😂salaries too low 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been on my mind for awhile now but I think Kianz Froese would be a solid pick up for a team next season. TSV Havelse are very likely going to get relegated and I'd imagine Froese will not follow them down to the Regionalliga (his contract is up). 

Edited by Atlantic

Looking ahead to the offseason, a few moves that could make sense to me:

Kofi Opare to Forge - 31 and hasn't played professionally since right before COVID but on Instagram I see he's keeping in shape and don't think he's given up on the game yet. Grew up in Niagara for a few years and although he seems to live in NJ/NY, his family still seems to be in the area. Depth at the back has been pretty dire with Jakovic out (and next year that issue could be even more dramatic)

Simon Thomas to Pacific - 31 (still youngish in keeper years) and has had a solid career as a backup in Scandinavia. Born in Victoria and might finally be time to come home and have some fun playing. Pacific doesn't really need a keeper with Irving still around, but if anything happens to him...

Adam Straith to Pacific - 31 years old, another Victoria boy. Contract recently expired in the 3 Liga and he seems to be back living on the island. There isn't really a veteran in their defence this year, and I could see him filling the Starostzik role.

Alex Comsia to Pacific  - 25 year old defender who spent a couple of years in the USL before his club self-relegated to USL League 1. He has been without a club for the past year and is another BC boy who could make his way home.

Dieu Merci Michel to Pacific - Edmonton youngster who trialled with Club Brugge and Bayern youth squads this year and seems to have a close relationship with Phonzie. Given Phonzie's connections with Pa Madou Kah, it looks like Michel was brought into trial at PFC earlier in October.

Dieu Merci Yuma to York United - Remember when we were excited about this guy because he was scoring at a nearly 2 goals/game clip in the Portuguese 4th division as a youngster 😂 Yuma has been back in Canada for a few years now, and at age 25 he is nearing the end of his USPORTS stint and is leading the OUA in shots, goals and is second in assists. Previously trialled with HFX, but he is already in York's backyard (and their stadium) and they seem to have a knack for rebirthing players who's careers I thought were over (see: Joseph Di Chiara).

Jordan Hamilton to York United - He's still only 25 (I can't believe it) so he may have some higher ambitions still, but he's been without a club since his midseason USL termination and Angus McNab has recruited well since coming to York (plus he's quite familiar with Jimmy). I think Jay Hams can be the elite target man that they were initially hoping out of Simon Adjei. 

Jace Kotsopoulos and Alex Zis to anywhere in the league - both are former USPORTS draft picks who now have the availability to go professional full time. Kotsopoulos (23 yo FWD) was the League1Ontario golden boot winner, scoring 15 goals in 12 games and adding another brace in the L1O finals (also named Finals MVP). Zis (5th year USPORTS attacking midfielder) had his L1O season cut a bit short but was scoring at a 1 goal/75 mins pace this season and is formerly an OUA MVP/USPORTS All Canadian. 

Charlie Trafford to Cavalry - Unlikely to happen next season, but you have to think this move is inevitable. 29 years old and now playing non-League football, you have to think the Calgary native is destined to join his cousin sooner than later.

Carl Haworth to Atletico Ottawa - Having spent so many big years in Ottawa, I don't think it's out of the question to expect him to come back to the fans to wrap up his playing career.

Yann-Alexandre Fillion to Atletico Ottawa or HFX - Playing in the 1st Division of Finland, he made 21 starts this season as his club were able to stave off relegation in a playoff. He had a second year option on his contract but fell out of favour in the crucial last three matches of the season after allowing 6 goals in a previous match, judging by his instagram post he's officially leaving the club. Ottawa is an obvious option as it's his hometown, but judging by the fall of Christian Oxner and the presence of former FC Montreal teammates Lamothe, JGL and Riggi; I think that HFX is another strong possibility.

Edited by Pottsy3

13 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Looking ahead to the offseason, a few moves that could make sense to me:

Kofi Opare to Forge - 31 and hasn't played professionally since right before COVID but on Instagram I see he's keeping in shape and don't think he's given up on the game yet. Grew up in Niagara for a few years and although he seems to live in NJ/NY, his family still seems to be in the area. Depth at the back has been pretty dire with Jakovic out (and next year that issue could be even more dramatic)

Simon Thomas to Pacific - 31 (still youngish in keeper years) and has had a solid career as a backup in Scandinavia. Born in Victoria and might finally be time to come home and have some fun playing. Pacific doesn't really need a keeper with Irving still around, but if anything happens to him...

Adam Straith to Pacific - 31 years old, another Victoria boy. Contract recently expired in the 3 Liga and he seems to be back living on the island. There isn't really a veteran in their defence this year, and I could see him filling the Starostzik role.

Alex Comsia to Pacific  - 25 year old defender who spent a couple of years in the USL before his club self-relegated to USL League 1. He has been without a club for the past year and is another BC boy who could make his way home.

Dieu Merci Michel to Pacific - Edmonton youngster who trialled with Club Brugge and Bayern youth squads this year and seems to have a close relationship with Phonzie. Given Phonzie's connections with Pa Madou Kah, it looks like Michel was brought into trial at PFC earlier in October.

Dieu Merci Yuma to York United - Remember when we were excited about this guy because he was scoring at a nearly 2 goals/game clip in the Portuguese 4th division as a youngster 😂 Yuma has been back in Canada for a few years now, and at age 25 he is nearing the end of his USPORTS stint and is leading the OUA in shots, goals and is second in assists. Previously trialled with HFX, but he is already in York's backyard (and their stadium) and they seem to have a knack for rebirthing players who's careers I thought were over (see: Joseph Di Chiara).

Jordan Hamilton to York United - He's still only 25 (I can't believe it) so he may have some higher ambitions still, but he's been without a club since his midseason USL termination and Angus McNab has recruited well since coming to York (plus he's quite familiar with Jimmy). I think Jay Hams can be the elite target man that they were initially hoping out of Simon Adjei. 

Jace Kotsopoulos and Alex Zis to anywhere in the league - both are former USPORTS draft picks who now have the availability to go professional full time. Kotsopoulos (23 yo FWD) was the League1Ontario golden boot winner, scoring 15 goals in 12 games and adding another brace in the L1O finals (also named Finals MVP). Zis (5th year USPORTS attacking midfielder) had his L1O season cut a bit short but was scoring at a 1 goal/75 mins pace this season and is formerly an OUA MVP/USPORTS All Canadian. 

Charlie Trafford to Cavalry - Unlikely to happen next season, but you have to think this move is inevitable. 29 years old and now playing non-League football, you have to think the Calgary native is destined to join his brother sooner than later.

Carl Haworth to Atletico Ottawa - Having spent so many big years in Ottawa, I don't think it's out of the question to expect him to come back to the fans to wrap up his playing career.

Yann-Alexandre Fillion to Atletico Ottawa or HFX - Playing in the 1st Division of Finland, he made 21 starts this season as his club were able to stave off relegation in a playoff. He had a second year option on his contract but fell out of favour in the crucial last three matches of the season after allowing 6 goals in a previous match, judging by his instagram post he's officially leaving the club. Ottawa is an obvious option as it's his hometown, but judging by the fall of Christian Oxner and the presence of former FC Montreal teammates Lamothe, JGL and Riggi; I think that HFX is another strong possibility.

I've been calling for Adam Straith since the club was announced. I'm pretty sure Dieu Merci Michel also played a season with Victoria Highlanders, so he wouldn't be new to the city. 

• 3 weeks later...