Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

3 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Thank you! Have you posted these lists on twitter?

3 hours ago, bfque8 said:

also a few names from across Europe that could see a move back to this side of the Atlantic:

Bakr Sadiq Abdellaoui (SWE/Östersunds, out of contract)
Jeff Addai (FIN/Vaasan Palloseura, out of contract)
Jude Barrow (EST/JK Tulevik, out of contract)
Jonas Häkkinen (FIN/Haka, out of contract)
Eryk Kobza (POL/Sokół Ostróda, contract terminated)
Henrik Regitnig (AUT/Pinzgau Saalfelden, contract terminated)
Zachary Sukunda (FIN/Ekenäs, out of contract)
Simon Thomas (NOR/Sarpsborg, out of contract)

Any forwards ?! 

8 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Any forwards ?! 

from the two lists: Hamilton (ST), Wright (W/FW), Camara (can play AM), Schweitzer (can play AM), Harris (W/MF), Johnson (W/MF), Uccello (AM), Petrasso (W/MF)

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Wasn’t Pasher sold to Houston ?

seconding what @MM3/MM2/MMsaid above, that was only ever a rumour per Jeff Rueter at The Athletic. Number of different reasons I can think of might have a potential move on the backburner, but as of this moment, he's still an Indy player with no confirmation at all from the Dynamo.

1 minute ago, bfque8 said:

from the two lists: Hamilton (ST), Wright (W/FW), Camara (can play AM), Schweitzer (can play AM), Harris (W/MF), Johnson (W/MF), Uccello (AM), Petrasso (W/MF)

seconding what @MM3/MM2/MMsaid above, that was only ever a rumour per Jeff Rueter at The Athletic. Number of different reasons I can think of might have a potential move on the backburner, but as of this moment, he's still an Indy player with no confirmation at all from the Dynamo.

He made it sound like it was a done deal

There have been several international signings in the CPL of late. The available players listed earlier today show a slew of Canadians, some fo whim would be real adds to CPL rosters. Perhaps some would be, or would have been, better choices than foreign nationals.

Which players from those lists would you suggest could be affordable and positive contributors to a CPL roster (affordability being key)? For which CPL club?

4 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

There have been several international signings in the CPL of late. The available players listed earlier today show a slew of Canadians, some fo whim would be real adds to CPL rosters. Perhaps some would be, or would have been, better choices than foreign nationals.

Which players from those lists would you suggest could be affordable and positive contributors to a CPL roster (affordability being key)? For which CPL club?

I think petrasso joins his brother at York. 

18 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

in my opinion:

PAC:

• Alex Comsia - would come in as at least the #3 CB, and would offer some competition against MacNaughton for the slot next to TMG. Personally, while getting DNJr. would be a big pickup, with the addition of Aparicio and presumably with how close the club is to the cap (just an assumption, that is), I just can't see the space for him in the midfield, between Manny, Baldi, Dixon, Young, Verhoeven and Hojabrpour all in the mix. If Jonas Häkkinen doesn't get picked up in Finland for another year, he's also one I could see joining Pacific - especially given both Comsia and Häkkinen are BC products.

CAV:

• Eryk Kobza - could be a value pick off a potential draft list... a UCalgary Dino and member of the 2019 Canada West All-Rookie team, I could see TW picking him up as a solid depth option for cheap. Worth mentioning he also had a handful games in the Polish third tier with Sokół Ostróda, having joined them in September after the USports season was cancelled... he just had his deal terminated with the club and is presumably back in Calgary for his winter semester. If not, a longshot I'm willing to take a stab on here could be Jude Barrow, but I don't have much justification for him other than "eh, he's part-English and a young Canadian with international experience".

EDM:

• Mamadi Camara - one of Koch's guys at Colorado Springs this past season, he's notably not been re-signed yet by new boss Brendan Burke. Could offer a different option in the midfield going forward and is also capable at AM which might be an extra link to Ongaro if FCEd/Koch opt for a 4231/4411. Similarly, Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé might be another option here for a similar reason, having played alongside Paris Gee in the USLC last year with St. Louis.

VAL:

• Georges Mukumbilwa - the most obvious choice here (tied maybe with Luca Petrasso to York), but with Fraser Aird leaving for FCEd and the Winnipeg-origin winger's option declined by the Whitecaps, I could see him making the Shome-esque move to join Galey. Most notable here is that Georges' single U18 cap (back in the 2016 U18 series in El Salvador) came under - you guessed it - Rob Gale.

FOR:

• Malik Johnson - the hardest club to attach a name to in my opinion, but if Tampa to decide not to re-sign Malik, I could very easily see him fitting in at Forge as another attacking wing option who can both cross and play direct - it'd certainly help stabilize Forge's attacking trio by allowing someone to move into the centre-forward role on a permanent basis, given we saw a different front three in each of their Island Games outings last season.

YK:

• Luca Petrasso - @Mikmacdo just beat me to it above, but seems the most logical connection to make here, for Luca to join his brother Mikey. You could probably make the same argument for any of the TFCII release-ees, like Luca Uccello or Jordan Faria, but LP seems the most logical choice.

ATO:

• Jeff Addai - a solid holding DM with USL and European experience, I could see the guy (who's OPSM-repped and Ottawa-born) making the switch back home to Ottawa. His contract option seems to have been declined/is out of contract and is now back stateside in Tulsa (at least per his IG) where he played a few years ago with the Roughnecks.

HFX:

• Greg Ranjitsingh - as long as you can stomach the concept of Ranjitsingh dropping from an MLS reserve contract down to CanPL salary levels, GR63 makes a good amount of sense to me on account of the fact that he's a T&T international with a Canadian passport (which makes him immediately attractive for a team that's up against the international limit). Andrew MacRae is another name that comes to mind for a possible HFX signee - a NS-born 'keeper who's coming off the back of a season out of the sport recovering from a bad leg injury. Aside from filling that #2 GK slot behind Oxner though, I could see either one of Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé or Jordan Schweitzer possibly being a target for HFX as well, to fill the hole in the midfield created by Béland-Goyette leaving the club.

Notable non-mentions:

• Drew Beckie - was on the SoccerSnobs podcast with his sister Janine (who plays for Man City) saying that he apparently had a move to the Middle East lined up before Covid scuppered it.
  • David Norman Jr. - coming off an injury-hampered season with Miami, the midfielder could be an interesting pickup for a CanPL team, having previously played for Pacific... though he might also fall back on his Scottish passport.
  • Dayonn Harris - if he does get picked up by anyone, I would guess CAV or EDM... but in either case, he'd probably be deep depth and both those teams will probably prioritize elsewhere. Dayonn signed with TBR on Dec. 31, 2020.
  • Robert Boskovic and Matthew Srbely - similarly, could be savvy pickups for anyone in the league, but as they are, it feels to me like most teams in the league already have players lined up for/playing similar roles.

Edited by bfque8

14 hours ago, bfque8 said:
FOR:
  • Malik Johnson - the hardest club to attach a name to in my opinion, but if Tampa to decide not to re-sign Malik, I could very easily see him fitting in at Forge as another attacking wing option who can both cross and play direct - it'd certainly help stabilize Forge's attacking trio by allowing someone to move into the centre-forward role on a permanent basis, given we saw a different front three in each of their Island Games outings last season.

Strongly agree with this. He would definitely improve the attack.
They probably wouldn't be able to match his pay, but the glamours of international ball could be very enticing for some who can and needs to make some moves.

I rate him.

Add Martin Amuz

And a possible MLS work stoppage

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4282033/mls-labor-negotiation-what-does-force-majeure-mean-for-cbaplayers2021-season

The 2021 regular season is tentatively scheduled to start in mid-March, though sources tell ESPN that the date could be pushed back to May due to the pandemic. For that reason, it might appear as though there is sufficient time to iron out a deal. But sources around the league say that a work stoppage is possible. One source told ESPN that the MLSPA has instructed players to prepare for such a scenario, which would be a brutal development for a league that sustained $1 billion in losses in 2020.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

And a possible MLS work stoppage

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4282033/mls-labor-negotiation-what-does-force-majeure-mean-for-cbaplayers2021-season

The 2021 regular season is tentatively scheduled to start in mid-March, though sources tell ESPN that the date could be pushed back to May due to the pandemic. For that reason, it might appear as though there is sufficient time to iron out a deal. But sources around the league say that a work stoppage is possible. One source told ESPN that the MLSPA has instructed players to prepare for such a scenario, which would be a brutal development for a league that sustained $1 billion in losses in 2020.

...and this might be the reason why we haven't seen a confirmation on Pasher's move to the Dynamo.

The agency representing Ollie Bassett (former Norther Ireland u-19 Attacking Midfielder) has confirmed that Ollie has signed with a team from the CPL.  The article doesn't mention which team it is.

He spent 2020 with a team in the New Zealand Football Championship (Top tier football for New Zealand), a semi-professional team in Australia, and then closed out the year with Nuneaton Borough (7th tier England).

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-ollie-bassett/