Liam Millar

Northvansteve

If he kept last season's scoring pace a move up to the EPL is within the realm of possibility, especially for a player with English ties. Two seasons in a row of reaching double-digit goals in all competitions in Switzerland is a very good return for a 23-year-old, especially from the winger position. Someone mentioned Fulham...why not?

No goals yet I believe, but the season isn't over and its only January. Sounds like he's been coming very close, so clearly he's playing well and generating chances (though I haven't been watching Basel this season (unlike last season). If those chances start going in and Basel turn it around, offers for Miller are definitely not unrealistic. If not from EPL sides, then from other Top 5 leagues. Germany seems to grab players from Switzerland, so we could see a Bundesliga move. Pefok moved from Young Boys to Union Berlin last summer.  

40 minutes ago, spitfire said:

That’s not true loads of players come from the Swiss super league…Wilfriend Gnonto to Leeds is the most recent … from Zurich last year…

Besides him (he was 18 and had 65 apps) he’s the only guy aside from some Wolves guys returning from their loans within the past few years.

I could be wrong though…

Here are just a few are jdirect moves. Phillip senderos ,Andi Sequiri(Brighton) Salah…(Chelsea)(I found in 10 mins on Google on set..)  and tons more indirectly (through Germany and France… shaquiri,xhaka schnar… and many many more. The Swiss super  league has been feederfor a lot of big moves all over Europe. 
I agree though liam has had a slow start with goal contributions(Basel as a team has struggled over all)  but if u goto stats bomb or any of the other stats sites Liam leads the league in a lot of other stats(progressions into the final third, dribbles and chances created Xa etc ) if Liam has a good 2nd half of the season in terms of goals and assists he will be in a top 5 league in the summer. I promise u that… 

Edited by spitfire

15 minutes ago, spitfire said:

if Liam has a good 2nd half of the season in terms of goals and assists he will be in a top 5 league in the summer. I promise u that… 

Would love to see it.

And let's think back to when he moved to Switzerland in the first place. How long did we collectively expect him to stay in that league? Maybe a few seasons at most? I can't speak for everyone here, but I was only expecting Basel to be a short pit stop because (as you suggest) it has been a reliable feeder league for a very long time now. He moved to one of the top teams where he was expected to be one of the top players, and he's done just that.

As such, Liam transferring to a Top 5 league (or top team in a league just outside that) at season's end would be very much on schedule. As the goals and assists come, the full body of his work in Switzerland, over two years, would certainly be similar to other's who've made the jump up in the past - at least I'd like to think so. 

Are these stats accurate for Millar? 

https://fbref.com/en/players/983515f8/Liam-Millar

It says these are powered by Opta but I don't see the underlying. They do paint a different picture than what's being discussed here though.  Looks like he's responsible defensively and plays hard...but the offensive stats are really quite ugly. 

image.png.cd7c71ec71dd1fca98875d83dab54661.png

Edited by Floortom

59 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm confused. Is Liam being linked elsewhere?

No. Just a discussion speculating what is next for him.

I get your confusion because you may find it strange that Millar's thread got bumped with transfer speculation when there is none. Him and Basel are going through a slump at the moment. 

On the other hand, he's already halfway through his second season and Basel was always a pit stop, not the final destination. As such, it's not so odd that we are talking about next steps for Millar, right? We may be getting a tad bit ahead of ourselves, but let's keep in mind that Basel won't be in a slump forever. Liam is going to eventually start finding the back of the net again. Once he does the links away shouldn't be far behind.

Say he finishes year 2 at Basel and his total is 15 goals across 90 games in all competitions - that looks good on the resume for a 23-year-old, and he's just 5 goals away from that. I definitely wouldn't put it past Millar to score 5 goals between now and season's end.

Such numbers from a young winger in the Swiss league, coming off a mid-season World Cup, would spark interest from teams in Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga, and possibly teams in the other Top 5 leagues, in my opinion anyway. 

Edited by Obinna

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

No. Just a discussion speculating what is next for him.

I get your confusion because you may find it strange that Millar's thread got bumped with transfer speculation when there is none. Him and Basel are going through a slump at the moment. 

On the other hand, he's already halfway through his second season and Basel was always a pit stop, not the final destination. As such, it's not so odd that we are talking about next steps for Millar, right? We may be getting a tad bit ahead of ourselves, but let's keep in mind that Basel won't be in a slump forever. Liam is going to eventually start finding the back of the net again. Once he does the links away shouldn't be far behind.

Say he finishes year 2 at Basel and his total is 15 goals across 90 games in all competitions - that looks good on the resume for a 23-year-old, and he's just 5 goals away from that. I definitely wouldn't put it past Millar to score 5 goals between now and season's end.

Such numbers from a young winger in the Swiss league, coming off a mid-season World Cup, would spark interest from teams in Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga, and possibly teams in the other Top 5 leagues, in my opinion anyway. 

Could be cool to see him go to Belgium? Not even as a step up, but as a change of scenery. Plus, in the same way that Ballou Tabla is still getting offers because he was a Barcelona youth player, Liam Millar was a Liverpool youth player. that's nothing to scoff at.

31 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Could be cool to see him go to Belgium? Not even as a step up, but as a change of scenery. 

Short answer is no.

Long answer is...

Unless it's a Champions League team (Genk is cream of the crop right now), I don't see Millar going to Belgium. I think if you're Millar you want to target a top-5 league next. Go to a stable mid-level club in Germany or France, where you can get a lot of playing time, but don't have a massive risk of relegation. That's what I want to see, and I think it's a very realistic target. 

Belgium and Switzerland serve the same function in that both are feeder leagues, so unless there's a guaranteed CL incentive why move?

The caveat I suppose is how Basel finish the season. I think CL with a Belgian club could be worth it, but if Basel can qualify for Conference League again, or better yet Europa league, I don't think you leave Basel for Belgium if you're Millar, not even for the CL games. For all we know Basel will grab a CL spot themselves, which would certainly negate any incentive for switching Switzerland with Belgium. They are currently in 5th, but only 5 points out of the 2nd place - which is the CL 2nd round qualifying spot. 

3 hours ago, spitfire said:

3527CBF8-DDB5-4183-9CF6-E817AF4F4FD8.jpegI’m filming splits (half day have nights ) can’t reply properly last two weeks of my tv series. Pull up stats bomb…will reply better later 

Galindo posted this a month ago and it's from the same stats database. These are also  different than what you posted though. I think the obvious tell is the xG +xA of 0.72 - which would not only be extremely high but would also indicate a massive underperformance relative to expectations.  This has him at around 0.3 for his entire time in Basel while the stats i posted had him at 0.14 which was only for the last 365 days.

https://twitter.com/GalindoPW/status/1610675620488388608?s=20&t=MoZXZi-xTADL5lYfVVVAfA

It is clear that Basel and Liam with them have been hurt by the way they've sold off key players without replacing them with similar quality. It is one thing to be a selling club, quite another to gut yourself and cut short other, more conventional paths to financial success, such as by being competitive in all competitions. 

While I appreciate a player may like to be in a selling club, if the play suffers, they all suffer in terms of future projection, unless somehow an individual is able to rise above.

Considering the profile of Basel, there is no reason why they should be off the pace of the league like this.

• 2 weeks later...